Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Every morning I have seen the same roadie cycling on the R27 (direction: from Town towards Melkbos). I normally pass him on the stretch between Sunset Beach and Race Course Road. What amazes me (besides for the fact that he is a roadie and won’t cycle on the bike lane), is that he never wears a helmet. Just a cycling cap.

What amazes me even more is that despite him not wearing a helmet he does wear his mask.

Many commuters around here wearing masks .... more so than "cyclists"

Yet very few of the commuters use a helmet.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any tips on how to stop glasses from getting misted when wearing a mask?

As soon as your glasses start to heat up they stop steaming up. I wear my mask 8h a day and its only the first 10 minutes or so that I cant see anything.

As soon as your glasses start to heat up they stop steaming up. I wear my mask 8h a day and its only the first 10 minutes or so that I cant see anything.

So we need a smaller version of a rear window defogger with a battery strapped to ones helmet and a switch on the bars 

FXA76FLHLPNMTX2.LARGE.jpg

71dzLuk2yAL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Edited by splat

If you looking at doing some proper training outdoors, this might just be of interest to li.

We have 3 spots left for next weekend, and although it only mentions a JHB departure, we are also doing a shuttle from Durban.

Hi Kobus. I’m sure lockdown must be getting you down too right now. I have found a gap to go do a bit of proper mountain biking in KZN next weekend.

Thought you might be interested. We still have place for 2 or maybe 3 riders

http://adventurelogistics.co.za/zululand-wild-ride/

It is all 100% above board. ??

At risk of being lambasted - am I missing something? 

I would absolutely love to do something like this next week, but could you please explain how this is "100% above board"?

I would absolutely love to do something like this next week, but could you please explain how this is "100% above board"?

Wondering the same myself, hotels and guest houses are not allowed to operate till level 1, pretty sure group activities are not allowed till level 0, exercise in the afternoon is illegal.I'm failing to see the board let alone the above on this one.

I assume they found some legal loopholes? Personally not something I would participate in but I get in these days people will do whatever it takes to make a living

I have a separate thread on this, here, https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/185545-wild-ride-during-lockdown/?view=getnewpost&fromsearch=1

But in essence, you are volunteering to provide relief services to the reserve. Conservation work is deemed an essential service. Using a bike to do fence patrols instead of a land cruiser is just a personal preference.

The reserve can accommodate you as an essential services provider/staff. For all technical reasons, you will be working, not participating in group sports activities.

I know it’s a lot to wrap your head around, but we have gotten legal advice on this, and it is above board.

I know it’s a lot to wrap your head around,

It isn't really. It was pretty well explained the first time you brought it up here. Good luck. I hope it is successful.

It isn't really. It was pretty well explained the first time you brought it up here. Good luck. I hope it is successful.

which bit was well explained ?

the legalities ?

The questions around liability ?  In this lovely country no indemnity form is worth anything when you knowingly put people in danger ...

the bit about bringing people from KZN, with their nice infection rate, in contact with people from another area with a lower infection rate ....

The thought processes of somebody willing to put something like together, given the risks ...

The thought processes of those wanting to take part in something like this - under these conditions ...

Ultimately, as was already mentioned .... let's see 4 weeks after the event if it was a good idea under the current conditions.

PS - I have had the opportunity to ride inside a game farm.  WOW !!  Would LOVE to take part in something like this !!  But not under these conditions.

post-110956-0-43241500-1589548548_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-62593300-1589548568_thumb.jpg

PSS - since a friend was moved to the critical ward last night with covid, and we dont know if he will see Monday, I may just have a slightly different take on this virus at this point ....

which bit was well explained ?

Let me edit that. I understood what the guy meant. Have a go at him then, not me.

Every morning I have seen the same roadie cycling on the R27 (direction: from Town towards Melkbos). I normally pass him on the stretch between Sunset Beach and Race Course Road. What amazes me (besides for the fact that he is a roadie and won’t cycle on the bike lane), is that he never wears a helmet. Just a cycling cap.

What amazes me even more is that despite him not wearing a helmet he does wear his mask.

I suppose not wearing a helmet means he has nothing to protect

I have a separate thread on this, here, https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/185545-wild-ride-during-lockdown/?view=getnewpost&fromsearch=1

But in essence, you are volunteering to provide relief services to the reserve. Conservation work is deemed an essential service. Using a bike to do fence patrols instead of a land cruiser is just a personal preference.

The reserve can accommodate you as an essential services provider/staff. For all technical reasons, you will be working, not participating in group sports activities.

I know it’s a lot to wrap your head around, but we have gotten legal advice on this, and it is above board.

Ohuq I love a well organised rebellion. All the best and thank you for sharing your creativity!

Quite simple, I can't breathe with a mask on. I have tried Ciovita, Anatomic, a buff. Simply can't ride with one on. I ride with a buff around my neck, and I pull it over my mouth when I come across other people, which is luckily once or twice in a ride - I'm lucky to be out on some open trails where I live.

For now it's not a legal requirement, so I am not going to lose sleep over it.

EDIT: I am guessing real elite athletes also find it easier to exercise with a thing on their face that restricts breathing that recreational cyclists.

For sure. Sounds like you have the space to be able to be sensible. That said if it’s uncomfortable don’t do the exercise, find something else to do. I am sick and tired of the lame excuse if ‘it’s not legal’. That is just a ‘what’s in it for me’ attitude which isn’t exactly aiming to help people. I’ve ridden with the mask and yes it’s sucks but it’s not my god given right to go exercise happy and free. It’s exercise with in the requests or find a different method. I’ve found other walks to do that mean I am not being a dick about it and still get to stretch my legs. Honestly why when so many people are marking sacrifices what makes a certain few think they are better and more entitled than the rest. Why must they feel that their needs are so much more important?

There are no races. There will be no races for a long time. Most of the pro athletes I work with are focusing on making a difference in their community or just grateful to be out and about not whining about how uncomfortably it is. Try to think of those around you not just yourself because if you end up in ER then it’s those around you keeping you safe not you alone.