Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I don't think there was any particular level at which gyms open, but I read in the news that given the current projections they only looking at opening national borders between Nov and Feb, so that's level 2.

We probably not going to see open gyms till well into 2021, if not 2022. They may never actually reopen, if this goes on long enough they'll go bankrupt before they can.

My money would be on these only opening when general hospitality such as lodges and hotels reopen....and that looks like early 2021 only...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My money would be on these only opening when general hospitality such as lodges and hotels reopen....and that looks like early 2021 only...

That's level 1 and social distancing still required, and if they only expecting level 2 in Feb then probably still a few months before we move down to level 1.

On the other hand many law firms and government parties are fighting to drop the levels far faster than that so all of this could be different a week from now and the gyms open next month. Considering the worst is still in front of us...

I have a separate thread on this, here, https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/185545-wild-ride-during-lockdown/?view=getnewpost&fromsearch=1

But in essence, you are volunteering to provide relief services to the reserve. Conservation work is deemed an essential service. Using a bike to do fence patrols instead of a land cruiser is just a personal preference.

The reserve can accommodate you as an essential services provider/staff. For all technical reasons, you will be working, not participating in group sports activities.

I know it’s a lot to wrap your head around, but we have gotten legal advice on this, and it is above board.

legal is one thing, ethical?

That's level 1 and social distancing still required, and if they only expecting level 2 in Feb then probably still a few months before we move down to level 1.

On the other hand many law firms and government parties are fighting to drop the levels far faster than that so all of this could be different a week from now and the gyms open next month. Considering the worst is still in front of us...

The thing is, we have now had time to get the medical side ready for a s****Storm of infections, out of interest sake read the article below- they predicted we need around 5000 ventilators, we are closing in on that number.

The reason Africa's infection rate is so low? 46% of all covid tests in Africa were done between SA and Ghana. If you don't test you don't know. I suspect the TB and Malaria deaths are spiking a bit.

Note as well there are African countries with 0 ventilators. So ya I think they have bought enough time here to be ready for the groot k*** so they are probably going to let it run its course with lower restrictions. I just feel for the doc's, their fight is just starting...

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/AFRICA/yzdpxoqbdvx/?fbclid=IwAR2Jeab8n5eQaI-lsprMp6NNFhHasGHc5hE8o1MNuhZXUTQWUJEPDWxmrqQ

I saw yesterday that france only had 6% of the population infected, and the medical staff already had/is having a rough time. (they were on lockdown I think 2 weeks before we did, but their lockdown started later on the curve -maybe a little too late- than ours that started maybe a bit too early)

Plus we don't even know yet if you are immunized after you got it... This thing really is something that's gonna change our lives for a while as the authorities will constantly have to try and get as many people out and working but not too many into the hospitals, and that knowing that there's always a 2 weeks delay because of incubation...

C1ifxYFXgAEbt9R.jpg

To come back to the subject, being in table view, it feels really unsafe training from 8 to 9 on the beach front, it's worse than the V&A the day before X mas... If ONE runner has it, it could be dozens of people who walked/run/cycled around him that could be affected.

Unfortunately we are in a populated area where half of our radius is in the ocean, not leaving us much choice as to where we can exercice. If we had 10km we could go ride past the N7, contermanskloof, a little bit of vissershok and tygerberg valley rd... we wouldn't have to be on top of each other on the beach front or loop around trafic circles in the suburbs... but anyways, this is what we have, and I'm not risking a massive fine just to get a little bit of quiet and gradient

Edited by Jbr

Why do cyclists who are riding in groups at this time feel the need to shout obscenities and disparaging things at you when you (riding solo - as a precaution for health reasons) take a wide berth and accelerate past them to maintain distance? What's with the rampant inferiority complex amongst these creatures?

Why do cyclists who are riding in groups at this time feel the need to shout obscenities and disparaging things at you when you (riding solo - as a precaution for health reasons) take a wide berth and accelerate past them to maintain distance? What's with the rampant inferiority complex amongst these creatures?

Never heard anything, I just give them a good stare when I pass them and sometimes shake my head after I'm through (if they are two or three next to each other forcing me to use all the road to pass them), it gives me motivation to then pull away from them :D

Edited by Jbr

I think everyone is just gatvol.

It's got very little to do with them as people but more to do with the constant stress of the situation we find ourselves in.

Yesterday we tried to buy a tumble dryer and my other half had to sign a waiver acknowledging that we were committing a criminal offence. F$%K THAT. It's the utter ridiculousness of these arbitrary rules that are getting to people.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I think everyone is just gatvol.

It's got very little to do with them as people but more to do with the constant stress of the situation we find ourselves in.

Yesterday we tried to buy a tumble dryer and my other half had to sign a waiver acknowledging that we were committing a criminal offence. F$%K THAT. It's the utter ridiculousness of these arbitrary rules that are getting to people.

private purchase?

the groups here on the east rand seem to be particularly aggressive lately.

private purchase?

I don't understand the question.

I phoned the retailer. asked if they had stock. asked if we were allowed to purchase and when we got green lights we went to purchase.

The point is there no logical reason why it's a criminal offence to buy an appliance that is in the store. you are in the store. It's stupid. This is what's getting to me and I think it's getting to other people too.

I don't understand the question.

I phoned the retailer. asked if they had stock. asked if we were allowed to purchase and when we got green lights we went to purchase.

The point is there no logical reason why it's a criminal offence to buy an appliance that is in the store. you are in the store. It's stupid. This is what's getting to me and I think it's getting to other people too.

Sorry. I was asking if you were buying from a private person. As in a second hand machine. I don't get why the retailer would want you to sign a decleration. Surely if you are committing a crime by purchasing, then they are committing a crime by selling?

Perhaps they feel guilty for not wearing face masks and riding in groups (both of them are verboten), so they lash out.

The bigger the crime being pointed out, the more aggressive the reaction .

(totally making up stories here, but that is a common South African reaction)

Sorry. I was asking if you were buying from a private person. As in a second hand machine. I don't get why the retailer would want you to sign a decleration. Surely if you are committing a crime by purchasing, then they are committing a crime by selling?

I witnessed a massive hissy fit in Makro yesterday when a guy couldn't buy a certain item. He was shouting at everyone except the car guard. Is it so difficult to understand that this situation is totally out of retailers control. If they sell a non essential item they will be closed down.

Surely if you are committing a crime by purchasing, then they are committing a crime by selling?

That would be my train of though as well. As DB says it’s the utter lunacy of some rules that make less than FA sense .

Just an observation, here in Durbanville the 5km radius thing is really more like a friendly suggestion and group rides are compulsory for the majority of riders. so yesterday when I left at 7h15 for my 2 hour ride I thought "No problem, loads of other people also ignore the rules so I would be fine stretching the deadline by 15 minutes"

8h55 4km from home, Spes Bona road who few minutes earlier resembled a mass funride was instantly deserted and I was on completely on my own. Feeling exposed & guilty I quickly turned around and chased home, did not see another cyclist for the rest of the ride. Only back in the suburbs a few daring joggers & walkers were pushing the time boundary with me but all the cyclists were gone. 

Guess I have to give it to my community, most follow at least this one rule.

Roads here in Pretoria also go pretty quiet around 9h00.

I went out a bit late yesterday morning, by 9h00 I was very close to home and decided to do a couple of loops in the streets close to home.

First road I turned into...Cops straight ahead and coming towards me :eek: .

I made a quick left turn into the next street and went straight home.