Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

For the back of the bike it really helps to have a flashing white and a flashing red light rather than just red, way more visible and catches the eye easier

Its been proven that, in the dark, a solid state light instead of flashing is much safer as flashing makes it hard to judge distance. Solid is just as visible, but changing colour to yellow can hekp distinguish from regilar traffic.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been proven that, in the dark, a solid state light instead of flashing is much safer as flashing makes it hard to judge distance. Solid is just as visible, but changing colour to yellow can hekp distinguish from regilar traffic.

Would a combination of the two be beneficial?

In the Dark specifically.

Maybe a steady light to allow for the judging of distance, and an additional flashing light or a light on the ankle?

Not arguing just interested. Do you have a link for the proof?

How safe is the route that you need to take?

Traffic wise its relatively safe, especially now.

There are a few short stretches that I'll need to be extra careful.

i drover it last night on the way home as I've only ever ridden it on the weekend, I think as long as I'm visible I should be ok.

The guy at work advised I should be careful of muggings so need to take a look at that safety aspect, so I was looking out for where people loiter etc., there is really only one spot I'm slightly concerned about, once through there I'll be ok.

also curious about that blinking/steady light thing, seems to me that the blinking light attracks attention better, but more importantly, doubles the battery life :D

On the topic of frozen toes, I bought these on takealot for 178 rand ! that's money well spent !

Yw6oIv-pEVQ4qwqTVUNwZ1YxFiequzQpwHTzk5rX

also curious about that blinking/steady light thing, seems to me that the blinking light attracks attention better, but more importantly, doubles the battery life :D

On the topic of frozen toes, I bought these on takealot for 178 rand ! that's money well spent !

Yw6oIv-pEVQ4qwqTVUNwZ1YxFiequzQpwHTzk5rX

Aren't you worried your laces get caught in your chain?

Traffic wise its relatively safe, especially now.

There are a few short stretches that I'll need to be extra careful.

i drover it last night on the way home as I've only ever ridden it on the weekend, I think as long as I'm visible I should be ok.

The guy at work advised I should be careful of muggings so need to take a look at that safety aspect, so I was looking out for where people loiter etc., there is really only one spot I'm slightly concerned about, once through there I'll be ok.

From where to where? I don't mean like a stalker I mean like I've been riding the roads around here for 30 years, maybe I can offer a route?

nop, once pedaling the loops aren't long enough, there's enough clearance between my shoes and the big chainring

From where to where? I don't mean like a stalker I mean like I've been riding the roads around here for 30 years, maybe I can offer a route?

bedfordview to boksburg

basically I'll take van buuren from Tony Impy, past the Virgin Active, Comic Warehouse. From build-it to where I turn right to go up old makro hill will be a bit of traffic, top of makro hill I'll turn left and head past efficient engineering, where that road intersects with barbara rd I'll need to be careful with people hanging around.

Then there is a bit of heavy vehicle traffic down to Yaldwin, once on Yaldwin it will be pretty dark, just need to be careful as the road bends past the runway and from there I'm basically home free.

bedfordview to boksburg

basically I'll take van buuren from Tony Impy, past the Virgin Active, Comic Warehouse. From build-it to where I turn right to go up old makro hill will be a bit of traffic, top of makro hill I'll turn left and head past efficient engineering, where that road intersects with barbara rd I'll need to be careful with people hanging around.

Then there is a bit of heavy vehicle traffic down to Yaldwin, once on Yaldwin it will be pretty dark, just need to be careful as the road bends past the runway and from there I'm basically home free.

Yeah, that section from Mentis Sales to Gateway hotel is always dodgy. The only other route would be straight at top of old makro past KSB Pumps and then right on Barbara and left onto Kraft. 

nop, once pedaling the loops aren't long enough, there's enough clearance between my shoes and the big chainring

You do realise that there's an elasticated loop on the tongue of the shoe into which you tuck the lases so that they're out of the way

Yeah, that section from Mentis Sales to Gateway hotel is always dodgy. The only other route would be straight at top of old makro past KSB Pumps and then right on Barbara and left onto Kraft. 

yeah thats an option, I'll check it out tonight

You do realise that there's an elasticated loop on the tongue of the shoe into which you tuck the lases so that they're out of the way

Makes much more sense than leaving it to chance.

why are you talking to me like I am retarded ? I said the loops aren't long enough to get in the chain. On the MTB shoes I use that thing to keep the laces out of the way, no need on the road shoes...

Edited by Jbr

well soooooorrrryyyyyyyyy for rubbing your up the wrong way. relax your order is on the way

many people who have those shoes don't know what that loop is for. So just pointing it out jirre :mellow:

Is it still considered taboo to ride without a mask?

I'm asking because I rode for more than an hour in a busy section of JHB and I thought I missed a news release about the current restrictions when riding.