Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I totally agree with you, and I generally accept that life was never designed with fairness in mind. I am interested in people's opinions on this and wanted to highlight some potential points of view.

We all experience life from different angles, as following heated discussions on various different topics on the Hub has taught me. I am curious though whether 4+ weeks of lockdown has changed the way people think.

I would like to think this would have to have some form of societal change for the better, much the same as the recent (ongoing?) drought has taught us to better work with water as a precious resource. And yes, I do believe that for the most part, people are showing better habits when it comes to water.

One could argue that this would extend to how people perceive a potential life threatening infectious disease. But I am not holding my breath too hard on that. I think that again, people will change, but not all people.

And humans being selfish bastards without much prodding, will put number one first before thinking of "society" in a more general sense. My wife did a quick run to Dischem yesterday for some toddler necessities, and she was shocked to see how many people were just moseying around in the mall window shopping, sitting around, not giving a hoot. 

I was told yesterday by someone who is probably one of the most chilled people I know, who works in the FMCG industry specific to supermarket distribution for a large retail group, that they are getting fearful of the shop environment. This guy works in those stores just about daily, and for him to get stressed all of a sudden should be a warning flag. I was given a very explicit instruction from him to ensure that EVERYTHING entering a store and taken from the store needs to be disinfected, including my car door handles, steering wheel, gear knobs etc. Basically everything we touch. Shoes stay in the garage, and no matter what to not enter the store without a mask.

That scares me more than some oke riding on a piece of land where he is likely the only person.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe here in the South of Jozi/Alberhoughton things are not that bad then. Done a few Bicycle Messenger trips over the last few days, keep in mind they are all in the suburbs and generally the local shopping centres with Chemists/Grocery stores. Places where the locals go ... Not had a single issue, been stopped by the five-0, presented my permit, shot the breeze for a few minutes about life in general and sent on my way.

Some interesting deliveries ...

One guy said just throw the parcel as far over the fence as you can, I'll come out and get it later

The most pleasant elderly lady who seemed to be in dire straights, just couldn't take the 25 bucks off her

A family that invited me in for some 'juice' ... Thanked them but turned down the offer

A chap that paid double the agreed rate 'you charge too little' he says

All sorts out there I tell you ????

What the heck are you waffling on about . I was talking about the poster who felt the need to report a guy cause he posted a ride on Strava. So before you open your gob please understand what you want to say next time.

name="ChrisF" post="3648814" timestamp="1587725447"]

Dear sir. Consider the following scene, as played out in an ER during THIS week :

Pasient: "Dr I think I may have Covid Symptoms ..."

Dr goes through the standard questions to determine possible sources of infection, and more importantly, who was in contact with that may be in danger IF he tests positive .... Let's just say this person was "evasive" in his answers .... He eventually "admits", that he could have been exposed when they visited friends during the lock-down period, this was his ONLY source of exposure during the lock down period.

Now if people could just grasp the concept of following the "rules of the day" ..... And YES, from 1 May a new set of "rules of the day" applies .... depending on the spread of the virus we can go up OR down the list of Alert levels.

So NO dear Sir, the previous poster does not need to "get a life" .... it is that small percentage that think they are above the law that needs to get a grip on reality !!

Edited by Stevief

People posting their rides on MTB trails in their back yard is doing nothing illegal, but they are acting like a D&&@.

You don't drink Brannas in front of a recovering alcoholic.

We are all going through withdrawal symptoms.

People posting their rides on MTB trails in their back yard is doing nothing illegal, but they are acting like a D&&@.

So if someone can do something that you can’t they’re ******?

So people who can swim in their own pool because they have one are ****** to me? And all of us that have gardens are ****** to those living in flats or shacks?

So those people in countries that can cycle further from home than I can and post about it are ******? I think not. I’m happy for them and I wish them well.

What a pointless waste of time to have resentment for seeing someone else have fun within the laws.

Oh and you should be able to drink brandy in front of a recovering alcoholic. It’s their problem not yours.

Edited by The Ghost

Actually that whole analogy sucks.

Being unable to cycle for a few weeks because there’s a virus going around and being a recovering alcoholic are NOTHING alike.

Edited by The Ghost

So I cant/shouldn’t post pics on me riding legally outside, because you are in lockdown? Nee man, dis sommer n k@k idee ;) Edited by Patchelicious

So if someone can do something that you can’t they’re ******?

So people who can swim in their own pool because they have one are ****** to me? And all of us that have gardens are ****** to those living in flats or shacks?

So those people in countries that can cycle further from home than I can and post about it are ******? I think not. I’m happy for them and I wish them well.

What a pointless waste of time to have resentment for seeing someone else have fun within the laws.

Oh and you should be able to drink brandy in front of a recovering alcoholic. It’s their problem not yours.

Thanks for your view.

The motto I try to live by is:

"Treat people the way in which you want to be treated"

So I don't want to flaunt what I have or what I can do when I know full well the people that I am sharing this to has no chance in hell of doing the same.

Like I said, you are totally within your right to do it, you are just not being "lekker".

PS. I acknowledge that you and others will differ from me on this, that is fine and accepted. But I reserve the right to think someone is a chop if he does the things I mentioned in my previous post.

So I cant/shouldn’t post pics on me riding legally outside, because you are in lockdown? Nee man, dis sommer n k@k idee ;)

And yet others on the where has your bike taken you today thread ask us to post so they can enjoy seeing it. Funny how differently people choose to react.

Actually that whole analogy sucks.

Being unable to cycle for a few weeks because there’s a virus going around and being a recovering alcoholic are NOTHING alike.

So you retract your statement that it's OK to drink in front of a recovering alcoholic? What if that person is a close friend or cousin?

Thanks for your view.

The motto I try to live by is:

"Treat people the way in which you want to be treated"

So I don't want to flaunt what I have or what I can do when I know full well the people that I am sharing this to has no chance in hell of doing the same.

Like I said, you are totally within your right to do it, you are just not being "lekker".

PS. I acknowledge that you and others will differ from me on this, that is fine and accepted. But I reserve the right to think someone is a chop if he does the things I mentioned in my previous post.

I think your motto is noble, and I applaud you for that.

Posting pics of riding is not treating you in any way, it’s just sharing an experience. Posting pics or vids with words or something in order to cause jealousy or to be a **** THAT would be wrong.

I think your motto is noble, and I applaud you for that.

Posting pics of riding is not treating you in any way, it’s just sharing an experience. Posting pics or vids with words or something in order to cause jealousy or to be a **** THAT would be wrong.

Cool. I acknowledge my alcoholic analogy took it too far.

But in the same breath, we all might need to rethink what we put out into the world in these trying times.

I don't know where the golden rule is on this, the world is changing dramatically from what we were used to.

A post lockdown ride up Chappies with #blessed posted on Insta might not be lekker for my best friend to see while his Travel Agent wife has no income and his Shares Trading income is up the creek with the JSE.

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit despondent for the people in our country who this is going to knock back significantly. All the while my company is paying us fully, including an annual increase. Life's not fair.

Cool. I acknowledge my alcoholic analogy took it too far.

But in the same breath, we all might need to rethink what we put out into the world in these trying times.

I don't know where the golden rule is on this, the world is changing dramatically from what we were used to.

A post lockdown ride up Chappies with #blessed posted on Insta might not be lekker for my best friend to see while his Travel Agent wife has no income and his Shares Trading income is up the creek with the JSE.

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit despondent for the people in our country who this is going to knock back significantly. All the while my company is paying us fully, including an annual increase. Life's not fair.

If I had a bacyard trail to ride I would, I would not advertise it though. That's not to say I think no one should. I have gotten alot of pleasure from guys like Seth's Bike Hacks and Matt Jones and their backyard build videos. Matthys Beukes also entertained with his 24hr challenge. So I don't have an issue with it.

When our riding restrictions lift I am going to put my Strava on private for a while and I am not gonna post pics on Instagram. This is not because I will be breaking rules, but because the world is a tinder bed waiting to catch flame and I am not keen to feed that or take abuse from anyone else because they are bitter they can't ride/run/swim/whatever else because of their situation.

Kinda ironic how I am posting on social media about staying away from social media. But I see the Hub slightly differently to other social media.

It’s totally understandable that you’re sensitive, but I encourage you to consider this. In life we can be grumpy about what others have or can do or we can appreciate what we have as much as possible and be happy for those in more fortunate circumstances.

I know it’s not easy and I don’t always get it right, but I have learned that being bitter only causes ME distress and being happy for others actually makes me feel better about life and also reduces animosity between people - something that is much needed right now.

Mmmmmm. I remember getting into my 4.2 V8 S5 amongst all the other 4x4s at the Sani finish and revelling in the sealevel power

I had the pleasure of having a A8 W12 as a company car for a year. At least 6000 km on autobahn. 

Neighbours didn't enjoy me leaving for work early.

I had the pleasure of having a A8 W12 as a company car for a year. At least 6000 km on autobahn.

Neighbours didn't enjoy me leaving for work early.

Is your company hiring? :)