What's your member number?

Shebeen

#4312 8 August 2007.

I had bought my first bike, and was planning my first 94.7.

I love how this thread has brought out the oumanne.

Iconic events on the hub I remember. Highlights and lows.

Barry (may he RIP) posting the minutes of the famous price fixing meeting here on the hub, catapulting the comp comm into years of litigation;

The well respected hubber who sent a pile of huisgenoot instead of a tag watch to his purchaser;

The dude who paid his LBS for a Pinarello only to subsequently discover he was sold a Chinarello.

Burry’s passing;

Barry’s passing;

The Sherrif pulling outta the hub over some bs conflict. Cant remember what it was all about, but big loss.

The great data hemorrhage after a server crash.

My 2 fave hub names over the years.

@Vetseun

@zatopec

There was this one discussion where a very well known doper was called a doper. A bunch of us received lawyers letters and very angry phone calls.

The early days were like the wild west.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so how does this work. If I click on my profile while having this Hub session open my number says 32237. If I open a new window in my browser and click on my profile my number says 7573?

#4312 8 August 2007.

I had bought my first bike, and was planning my first 94.7.

Iconic events on the hub I remember. Highlights and lows.

Barry (may he RIP) posting the minutes of the famous price fixing meeting here on the hub, catapulting the comp comm into years of litigation;

The well respected hubber who sent a pile of huisgenoot instead of a tag watch to his purchaser;

The dude who paid his LBS for a Pinarello only to subsequently discover he was sold a Chinarello.

Burry’s passing;

Barry’s passing;

The Sherrif pulling outta the hub over some bs conflict. Cant remember what it was all about, but big loss.

The great data hemorrhage after a server crash.

My 2 fave hub names over the years.

@Vetseun

@zatopec

There have been some notable moments over the years

Some of my memories are a bit vague, but these characters and incidents are floating around my head:

BigH was always entertaining (not always in a good way). His dislike of Campagnolo was  :blink: 

There was a mechanic & wheel builder who also often caused a stir - moved overseas and closed his account here.

I remember a cycling club (Edit: TCS) in Joberg that got a whole lot of stick about something and a whole lot of people left The Hub. I cant remember what it was about.

There was a divorce that got a bit messy and public. She has moved on and lives in Monaco now.

Evan's legend lives on - how did he get famous? He sent used instead of new tyres or something.

Edited by splat

Some of my memories are a bit vague, but these characters and incidents are floating around my head:

BigH was always entertaining (not always in a good way). His dislike of Campagnolo was  :blink: 

There was a mechanic & wheel builder who also often caused a stir - moved overseas and closed his account here.

I remember a cycling club in Joberg that got a whole lot of stick about something and a whole lot of people left The Hub. I cant remember what it was about.

There was a divorce that got a bit messy and public. She has moved on and lives in Monaco now.

Evan's legend lives on - how did he get famous? He sent used instead of new tyres or something.

Johann Bornmann was the mech. 

YES! 

It was over taking his son to a movie that he was too young for. Parenting advice / scorn / accusations were flung left right and centre. 

Anton doesn't pull punches, and I think some people knew that and capitalised on it to "get him out". Taking on his parenting style was always going to end in a few bannings. 

BigH was always entertaining (not always in a good way). His dislike of Campagnolo was :blink:

I remember a cycling club (Edit: TCS) in Joberg that got a whole lot of stick about something and a whole lot of people left The Hub. I cant remember what it was about.

Jason and Michelle. Uber Lance fanboys.

ooh goodness, yes. What were their handles, again? Barbie?

Sure it was Jason and Michelle.

Big H had a trolling account, Barbie something. Got quite a few hubbers red under the collar.

Big H had a trolling account, Barbie something. Got quite a few hubbers red under the collar.

Aaah, yes yes. My memory of that time is a bit fuzzy, and I've never been good with names. 

I also remember a lot of BigH's contributions.

Walking into a glass door somewhere?

He got very animated over freeway cycling and roads classification.

Team Cough Syrup

You mean the now Mrs Froome?

I recall she was Michelle here as in real life. Was always hanging around the TCS crew at races back then. Remember chatting to her during the Wiggins TDF win and the spat between the WAGS - she was already with Froome of course then. Not sure what Jason's username was.

I vaguely remember Oom Hendrik's barbie fake account, and of course MTBarbie who was an actual person in real life as well.

You mean the now Mrs Froome?

I recall she was Michelle here as in real life. Was always hanging around the TCS crew at races back then. Remember chatting to her during the Wiggins TDF win and the spat between the WAGS - she was already with Froome of course then. Not sure what Jason's username was.

I vaguely remember Oom Hendrik's barbie fake account, and of course MTBarbie who was an actual person in real life as well.

BigH had a few accounts.  Couchpatato was also one if I remember correctly.

Johann Bornmann was the mech.

He stuffed up a wheel build that the sheriff fixed

Mine.

Bornmann pulled two spokes clean through a new Enve rim - I subsequently discovered he didn't believe in using a strain gauge.

The wheel was egg-shaped (IIRC the tension on some of the remaining spokes was 3 times the recommended tension) and the rim was stuffed. The Sherriff rebuilt it after I had the rim repaired but the damage was effectively irrecoverable. Bornmann refused to accept any responsibility, blamed it on a "poorly designed rim" and had the audacity to demand I pay him for the spokes he supplied. I told him to go fark himself.

JB was an opinionated ex-IT techie without any engineering skills but a unshakable belief in his own omnipotence.

Whenever I recall WB Yeats' line

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity."

I think of Bornman.

He is not missed.

edit: Removed my real opinion of the charlatan...

Edited by eddy