What's your member number?

Shebeen

Mine.

Bornmann pulled two spokes clean through a new Enve rim - I subsequently discovered he didn't believe in using a strain gauge.

The wheel was egg-shaped (IIRC the tension on some of the remaining spokes was 3 times the recommended tension) and the rim was  stuffed. The Sherriff rebuilt it after I had the rim repaired but the damage was effectively irrecoverable. Bornmann refused to accept any responsibility, blamed it on a "poorly designed rim" and had the audacity to demand I pay him for the spokes he supplied. I told him to go fark himself.

JB was an opinionated ex-IT techie without any engineering skills but a unshakable belief in his own omnipotence.   

Whenever I recall WB Yeats' line  

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity." 

I think of Bornman. He is not missed.

edit: Removed my real opinion of the charlatan...

Anton and I were just talking about this the other day... so weird it pops up here! 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Original

Boring

Old Guard / Original Gangster 

Not so boring / Heading in the right direction

WTFlip has happened to Scotty, has anyone seen or heard from him?

Last post from Scotty was on 26 March

I'm number 1830, joined Jul 2007.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/user/2-matt/

I'm guessing user number 1 got killed off

had a look at the oldest threads i could find still viewable, anything less than 100 was in the first 6 months it seems.

first 1000 was probably a year in

7-Scotty

edit: i'll update those under 200 (maybe)

Haven't spoken to the big guy (Scotty) in a while but he must be OK as he's logging lots of Strava miles!

Haven't spoken to the big guy (Scotty) in a while but he must be OK as he's logging lots of Strava miles!

:thumbup: , thnaks NSBB

Mine.

Bornmann pulled two spokes clean through a new Enve rim - I subsequently discovered he didn't believe in using a strain gauge.

The wheel was egg-shaped (IIRC the tension on some of the remaining spokes was 3 times the recommended tension) and the rim was stuffed. The Sherriff rebuilt it after I had the rim repaired but the damage was effectively irrecoverable. Bornmann refused to accept any responsibility, blamed it on a "poorly designed rim" and had the audacity to demand I pay him for the spokes he supplied. I told him to go fark himself.

JB was an opinionated ex-IT techie without any engineering skills but a unshakable belief in his own omnipotence.

Whenever I recall WB Yeats' line

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity."

I think of Bornman.

He is not missed.

edit: Removed my real opinion of the charlatan...

Yup.

I'm number 1830, joined Jul 2007.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/user/2-matt/

I'm guessing user number 1 got killed off

had a look at the oldest threads i could find still viewable, anything less than 100 was in the first 6 months it seems.

first 1000 was probably a year in

2-Matt

7-Scotty

11 - Buff

21-AndreZA

25 - spinnekop

30 - brakkies sport Fotos

43 - I Fly

50 - Eddy

51 - sias

55 - ewep

63 - the guy in pink

71 - bateleur

91 - cvancoillie

105 – dirt Rider

126 - NotSobigben

160 - tumbles/holy roller RIP (probably still winning on post count)

182 - SwissVan

edit: i'll update those under 200 (maybe)

You missed me (don't worry, it happens often)

Member 87. Joined 15 Dec 2004

edit: corrected date.

Edited by Wannabe

Member 87. Joined 15 Dec 200

And you think it is a coincidence or an oversight...….. :ph34r:

Member 87. Joined 15 Dec 2004

edit: corrected date.

i didn't look that hard to be honest, but funnily i did look for you and there are a crapload of wannabe variants that come up on member search. plenty of wannabe wannabes

I'm sure I missed plenty, was kind hoping admin would just post the list already, but he's obviously quite busy as he just got married and is having the best honeymoon ever

So I'm a pretty new Hubber, however reading all the stories about the Sheriff and the "days of old" etc is something I find quite interesting. I remember a few years ago I searched some of the ooolder threads way back when everyone was still riding 26ers and the 'Male Sexies' thread(whatever it's called) was still active...

There were some really interesting days on here I'm sure.... 

I would be quite interested in maybe an article(or post) about the history of theHub/Bikehub. How did it start?  How did it grow? When did it become a full-fledged business? Etc. Etc.

?

So I'm a pretty new Hubber, however reading all the stories about the Sheriff and the "days of old" etc is something I find quite interesting. I remember a few years ago I searched some of the ooolder threads way back when everyone was still riding 26ers and the 'Male Sexies' thread(whatever it's called) was still active...

There were some really interesting days on here I'm sure.... 

I would be quite interested in maybe an article(or post) about the history of theHub/Bikehub. How did it start?  How did it grow? When did it become a full-fledged business? Etc. Etc.

?

Prior to theHub the primary Forum was the Supercycling forum which was hosted/moderated by Cyclelab. But there were some very heated debates especially in the days with the rivalry between Winningtime and champion chip and various other politics and quite often Cyclelab was also involved with the politics and members often got gagged.  So somewhere between these fights theBikehub came into being (Mat can give more info on this) and there was pretty much a mass exodus from Supercycling to bikeHub and after that Supercycling was pretty dead as far as I can remember.

Prior to theHub the primary Forum was the Supercycling forum which was hosted/moderated by Cyclelab. But there were some very heated debates especially in the days with the rivalry between Winningtime and champion chip and various other politics and quite often Cyclelab was also involved with the politics and members often got gagged.  So somewhere between these fights theBikehub came into being (Mat can give more info on this) and there was pretty much a mass exodus from Supercycling to bikeHub and after that Supercycling was pretty dead as far as I can remember.

There was also a Spinman forum at about the same time as the Supersport one. Terry Kobus was the moderator of it.