Is it available?

Andreas_187

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether I am selling a whole bike or a stem, why is it that I receive 10-15 messages asking if it is still available and then never hear from them again? Are people bored or dreaming or crazy?

lonely and looking for a conversation more likely

My view on this is simple: I have a product I'm looking to change for some dead presidents, if I have to entertain a few muppets suffering from analysis paralysis to get my product out the door, then I'm fine with that ????

I don't mind the "is it still available" what absolutely pajamas me and it happens on here more and more. People asking for banking details saying they are taking it and then dissappears!

the best on the hub is ... " can i come view a brand new seat post or pedals , not sure they will fit " ... .. UHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Whether I am selling a whole bike or a stem, why is it that I receive 10-15 messages asking if it is still available and then never hear from them again? Are people bored or dreaming or crazy?

So, if I'm looking at a wheelset on the hub, right, I might find three or four ads that meet what I'm looking for, right, so I need to check which of them is available to narrow down my choice, right, once I've found which ones are available and decide on which one to buy I might just carry on with that.

Do I need to go back to each of the ones I asked about and say sorry, I found something else? You suppose a far larger social bond created out of asking if something is available than actually exists.

Hi all,

Interesting topic this. I was brought up to say "yes, thank you" or "no, thank you", This is a platform for cyclists, by cyclists - hence I reckon we, the cyclists, owe each other a wee bit of respect.

Take your entitlement to the kindergarten or the braai fire. Let us show respect and common decency amongst ourselves. Nothing wrong with the question of availability, BUT for crying in a bath tub - have the decency to send the seller a note that you are not interested any longer. Some "buyers" would venture into drawn-out discussions over specs and compatibility - just to disappear into thin air.

A slight twist to this topic is the silence you receive when trying to contact sellers via the PM or e-mail portals on TheHub. The Ad is active, but the seller does'nt respond at all and his/her phone number does not show, even when logged in.

My 2 cents' worth.

Cheers guys

Hi all,

Interesting topic this. I was brought up to say "yes, thank you" or "no, thank you", This is a platform for cyclists, by cyclists - hence I reckon we, the cyclists, owe each other a wee bit of respect.

Take your entitlement to the kindergarten or the braai fire. Let us show respect and common decency amongst ourselves. Nothing wrong with the question of availability, BUT for crying in a bath tub - have the decency to send the seller a note that you are not interested any longer. Some "buyers" would venture into drawn-out discussions over specs and compatibility - just to disappear into thin air.

A slight twist to this topic is the silence you receive when trying to contact sellers via the PM or e-mail portals on TheHub. The Ad is active, but the seller does'nt respond at all and his/her phone number does not show, even when logged in.

My 2 cents' worth.

Cheers guys

^^^ what he said

I'm in sales, and as much as "i'm no longer interested" replies hurt, its far more frustrating having people inquire, ask questions and then just go AWOL.

Hi all,

My 2 cents' worth.

Cheers guys

I guess you greet all cyclists when you're out riding?

I don't.

In the same way I wouldn't greet people I don't know walking past me in the shops.

I don't believe in some artificial bond created simply because two people happen to be riding bicycles.

I mean sometimes I'll greet a cyclist on the road. Mostly to shout hook-it at them as loud as I can. I'll usually slow down and ask someone on the side of the road fixing a puncture or whatever if they're ok, but that's it. 

I'm even less likely to pretend some bond with a pretty random stranger in the classifieds of some internet forum.

Slight Hijack but i find that i don't see all the messages in my chat it is like there is two messaging systems running. 

if i click on see old chat then i see some new messages.

not sure if others have the same issue maybe that's why some people don't reply. when DM's are sent

Slight Hijack but i find that i don't see all the messages in my chat it is like there is two messaging systems running. 

not sure if others have the same issue maybe that's why some people don't reply. when DM's are sent

I've missed messages in classifieds due to something like this as well.

Hi all,

My 2 cents' worth.

Cheers guys

Okay ?!

There are two separate Chat / PM systems currently (Chat related to Classified ads and the old forum PM system) and we know this does cause some confusion. We're looking at options to consolidate these.

While I agree that not all interactions on Bike Hub are about making friends or bonding... the nature of Classifieds is transactional after all, there is a basic level of respect and courtesy that is sometimes missing.

A simple "Hi" or "Thanks / No thanks" can go a long way.

Regarding the non-responders there are definitely some system improvements we need to make to ensure this is made easier and encouraged. In many cases where we receive complaints about a seller not responding, they've received numerous offers already. We're looking at options to make bulk responses easier where items have been sold and ensure more sellers actively mark their items as sold.