Nic Bester attacked while training.

gummibear

I spoke to Varkie2 a while after his incident.

His words to me were "Phlippie, hulle was baie kwaad."

If you get driven off the road, potentially killing you, and then two men jump out with pangas and scream at you and threaten to kill you for your cellphone, do you really think he is going to be worried about the humanization off the attackers?

His bike is written off. So are his shoes, his clothes and his gloves. He got hurt in the incident, and he has to deal with his trauma.

Do you really blame him for dehumanizing his attackers less than a week after the attack?

I'm sorry guys, this is as bad as victim blaming.

Of course he is angry but his anger should be directed at his attackers, the police, the government and anyone else who has let South Africans down not the black population as a whole.

That said nobody has actually had a problem with Nic did or didn't say. It was the "blacks" generalization/slur that got peoples back up.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he is angry but his anger should be directed at his attackers, the police, the government and anyone else who has let South Africans down not the black population as a whole.

That said nobody has actually had a problem with Nic did or didn't say. It was the "blacks" generalization/slur that got peoples back up.

I don't think we should be telling people where to direct their anger. 

I hope all of you follow your own advice when they come for you.

Vicky Momberg could certainly have benefitted from some anger direction advice.

"They" have come for me twice and somehow I managed to not blame "the blacks" for it. I know I know. Mind blowing stuff!

"They" have come for me twice and somehow I managed to not blame "the blacks" for it. I know I know. Mind blowing stuff!

Good man!

Most of us do not have the necessary EQ to deal with it the way you did.

Edited by sias

I just don’t get this aspect

We have BLM BLACK Lives matter bombarding us in the news for weeks and there is no issues with that reference to blacks.

How would you describe these thugs when you give a description to the police or to warn others who might be out training in the vicinity of the attack?

At the very best you could say 4 African men.... not much difference imo except that you and I could also be described as African....

Not picking on you DJR, but your post does highlight the “you shouldn’t call them blacks” argument

You don't understand the outrage because you don't understand the offence/connotations.

Like many thing in life, this is not black and white(pun intended). Let's go from acceptable to unnaceptable.

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four men.

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four black men

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four blacks

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four k@ff3rs

I hope I don't need to explain why the fourth one (I can't even bring myself to type the word properly) was fine back in the dark old days but is not acceptable by a white south african post 1994.

The second one is ok, but unless you're filling in a police report, not entirely necessary.

The third one is on the road to the fourth, hence the offence. That's the way i see it, and welcome any input from any white readers who are prepared to add their 2cents.

steve

privilged white male born in the 80s trying to do his best to understand our beautiful but complicated country and society.

We all need this... Simple really.

Empathy

The capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position.

And....in my opinion, empathy is something one does internally on their own, the moment you purposely demonstrate it publicly, you do the opposite.

'They'... You can't make this stuff up.

Penny Sparrow, is that you?

You can't make this stuff up.

Tell that to the lady who got her throat slit in full view of her children. To the farmer who got shot in front of his kid. 

I'm sure they will appreciate the comment.

Sorry, off topic again.

Edited by sias

You don't understand the outrage because you don't understand the offence/connotations.

Like many thing in life, this is not black and white(pun intended). Let's go from acceptable to unnaceptable.

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four men.

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four black men

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four blacks

I was attacked outside Stellenbosch by four k@ff3rs

I hope I don't need to explain why the fourth one (I can't even bring myself to type the word properly) was fine back in the dark old days but is not acceptable by a white south african post 1994.

The second one is ok, but unless you're filling in a police report, not entirely necessary.

The third one is on the road to the fourth, hence the offence. That's the way i see it, and welcome any input from any white readers who are prepared to add their 2cents.

steve

privilged white male born in the 80s trying to do his best to understand our beautiful but complicated country and society.

I understand the connotations, however these connotations are derived from each persons own perspective and will be applied no matter how you describe the perpetrators.

Thing is an accurate description is necessary even if you are just reporting the incident on the hub or to friends in your social circle, saying I was attacked by 4 men is not accurate and could also be said to have connotations against men.....

I understand the connotations, however these connotations are derived from each persons own perspective and will be applied no matter how you describe the perpetrators.

Thing is an accurate description is necessary even if you are just reporting the incident on the hub or to friends in your social circle, saying I was attacked by 4 men is not accurate and could also be said to have connotations against men.....

This was clarified on page 3 already. 

Yup, agreed.

There is however a difference between saying, "I was robbed by 4 black men" and "I was robbed by 4 blacks".

Think this is what Jewbacs was referring too rather than the actual description of the perps. 

Leave it now, this page is about Nic.

I don't know if its a commentary on my photography skills, bike riding skills, giving-unsolicited-inexperienced-advice skills or the general mindset of my countrymen that a post I made about gun control and violence is my most liked post by a massive margin...

On a bike forum...

Where I post photos and rants about bikes, 99.9% of the time...

:whistling:

ANYWAY, seems he's out of ICU at least:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi0uY2fz8frAhVKaq0KHUL2AUsQFjAFegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcitizen.co.za%2Fsport%2Fsport-other-sport%2F2352022%2Fnick-bester-out-of-icu-after-horrific-attack%2F&usg=AOvVaw13C0pPittaztWka5vxXCPF

Edited by TyronLab