Another cyclist killed...

Mojoman

Terrible news, RIP. Its just too dangerous to ride on the R27

I stay close to the R27 in Sunningdale. I cannot tell you how often I hear the ambulances screaming past heading north. I actually recall hearing the wail again this morning. I also drive up to Melkbos every now and then, and my wife works in Atlantis and drives that road every day. I only cycled on it once, and that was once too much. It is a road that seems to bring out the worst in drivers.

I know that around here there aren't many other roads to ride for someone looking for distance, but its just not worth it in the end.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody will dispute the dangers of the R27, but also doubt anybody would anticipate the way this incident happened...

Ja, not trying to lessen the seriousness of this sad event. Totaly unnecessary. I can't begin to fathom the pain of the family who woke up this morning not realising by the time they go to sleep tonight, their world will be shattered into a million pieces.

So so sad.

Doesn’t stop the shebeens operating after curfew or on weekends

Anecdotal, so I am sure this doesn't happen way too wide:

In Hammanskraal, they tried to stay open past curfew (0h00). Just after midnight a cop arrives, sits at a table far in the corner. He just watches. Then another guy approaches the owner/manager and informs him that the tavern will pay him X amount per drink sold after curfew, otherwise the cop in the corner will close this shop.

Well, they are running such tight margins that it effectively means that they then run at a loss. So they rather then close up shop.

So, I am thinking that we will be surprised at how many taverns were forced to close due to corrupt police officers.

I doubt this was widespread, most people were probably able to get dop.

I cannot stress how important it is to have bright red flashing lights behind your bicycle in some countries it’s mandatory in South Africa with such bad drivers it should be common sense please ride with red flashing lights behind your bike

I cannot stress how important it is to have bright red flashing lights behind your bicycle in some countries it’s mandatory in South Africa with such bad drivers it should be common sense please ride with red flashing lights behind your bike

no stupid red light would prevent a drunk driver hitting you, a person texting hitting you or a car swerving into you on purpose.

If a driver is looking where they are going they will see a cyclist, just like all other obstacles in the road

I repeat, "doubt anybody would anticipate the way this incident happened..."

Riding a flashing Xmas tree would have made no difference.

But your point is noted and valid otherwise.

Terrible news, RIP. Its just too dangerous to ride on the R27

My son and I rode from Melkbos to the Yzerfontein intersection, then to Darling, and onto gravel back linking us to Grotto Bay. I was super anxious about riding this route, but honestly found it to be quite safe, there was a decent shoulder, cars in the area were quite well behaved.

I think the situation where a drunk driver is involved could literally mean anything can happen, and certainly anywhere on any road. The backdrop of opening alcohol sales over the weekend, and a shocking statistics of alcohol abuse in South Africa, it makes one really wander why they opened up sales at all.

Emazingly enough that won't make a difference.