Another cyclist killed...

Mojoman

Stop at any Fuel station/ convenience store early on a Sat & Sun morning and you will see all the dronkies buying food and cigs on their way home.Scary the speed at which people drive at that time of the morning on their way home from the clubs pre curfew

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible tragedy and condolences to al who suffered the loss.

We say over and over again that better driving and better enforcement as well as more personal responsibility is needed but it never seems to come.  I ride around the block, more or less, on my motor bike, orange and lights on, just to warm the oil up for a change yielded two Sunday mid morning dozeballs who pulled off in front of me - lucky I was dawdling and wide awake. 

It is dangerous out there and little sign of improvement.

A law must be passed and the adverts must read, "Kill someone while drunk and its a life sentence, case closed"

Condolences to the family,

But on this note: The law is there, it is the enforcement that is an issue. What good is it to write new laws when the careent laws are not enforced. Like brining in the 0% blood alcohol?

1. The person needs to be caught

2. Driving under the influence needs to be proven

Then only will a judgement be made and a sentence be served. The problem is no2. 

My son and I rode from Melkbos to the Yzerfontein intersection, then to Darling, and onto gravel back linking us to Grotto Bay. I was super anxious about riding this route, but honestly found it to be quite safe, there was a decent shoulder, cars in the area were quite well behaved.

I think the situation where a drunk driver is involved could literally mean anything can happen, and certainly anywhere on any road. The backdrop of opening alcohol sales over the weekend, and a shocking statistics of alcohol abuse in South Africa, it makes one really wander why they opened up sales at all.

I can not agree with you more.  Although I like a drink every once in a while, it would not bother me in the least if it get banned indefinitely, the k@k it cause is simply not worth it.

I know there will be a lot of people not sharing my point view, but imho the world will be a far better place without alcohol and any smoking substance for that matter.

Edited by Theog

Condolences to the family,

But on this note: The law is there, it is the enforcement that is an issue. What good is it to write new laws when the careent laws are not enforced. Like brining in the 0% blood alcohol?

1. The person needs to be caught

2. Driving under the influence needs to be proven

Then only will a judgement be made and a sentence be served. The problem is no2. 

100% this ^

Draconian laws won't compensate for a lack of enforcement which is the real problem.

My sympathies to the family & friends of the rider who was murdered in this senseless act.

Caught drunk driving, killed or injured someone else?

How about crushing and recycling the car? And you have to flip the lever yourself and watch your car turn into a block. Then some punishment for the perpetrator on top of that. Bit of time in jail. Bit of community service. Uber, bus, taxi for life. 

Keep it simple stupid!

Edited by DJR

RIP and condolences to friends and family .

Lets hope the correct arrest procedures were followed and a prosecution will result .

It is not going to bring the rider back , but may deter 1 idiot out there from doing the same .

The real sad part as South Africans we accept the murder on our roads. Its normal for a drunk driver to kill our friends or a taxi crash to kill 15 people. It makes headlines for a day then we move on to the next tragedy. 

RIP. Condolences to all family and friends and strength to those riding with him that experienced the trauma of seeing it.   

It's so sad. 

The problem is you go mountain biking in the fields or farms you get attacked and robbed. You cycle on roads cars and taxi's hit you. You cycle alone on the road and a taxi pulls up and rob you. It's just not safe anymore.

a Personal good friend of mine and his wife got run over in PE in 2015, his wive passed on the scene. It was also posted on the forums here.

R.I.P to the person that passed.

Edited by Theo187

RIP. what a sad sad story. And its an all too often occurrence. 

As to red flashing lights. I use one. Whether it helps or not i cannot lay claim to it but i know that when i am a motorist i certainly see red flashing lights a lot more easily than a cyclist sans. Thats good enough for me.