Rapidé Tigre Hardtail Frame

MORNE

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

You must see what I get up to on my 120mm camber. I reckon a 140mm Pike will do just fine on the trails I ride. The gnarliest trail I ride is Iron Monkey at Jonkers, from the very top. I'm actually quite keen to see what this bike can get up to on a proper janky line.

I've been throwing various hardtails down those trails for a very long time.

It is a lot of fun. 

Admittedly I ride a lot less than I used to, but these days, my only MTB is a steel hardtail having sold everything else.

Anyone who tells you it can't do most trails quickly needs to work on their skills

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

You must see what I get up to on my 120mm camber. I reckon a 140mm Pike will do just fine on the trails I ride. The gnarliest trail I ride is Iron Monkey at Jonkers, from the very top. I'm actually quite keen to see what this bike can get up to on a proper janky line.

I've been riding enduro lines on my Tigre, all up in Gauteng admittedly, but she absolutely shreds. Get yourself some thick tyres (and probably an insert for the back, I've got a double thick CSIXX foamo) and you're set. Absolutely flies when you get into the rough stuff.

Maybe I am the odd one out here, but I am not enjoying mine. Maybe I haven't used it on proper trails and expects it to be a good "marathon" bike, but just not getting used to it.

Build with new, mostly Rapide components (where possible).

Thought this would replace my carbon hardtail and steel SS, but not for me. I prefer a hardtail over a DS any day.

My question is, now what ? Sitting with a bike that I do not enjoy and can not sell (don't mind loosing a bit on the experiment, but not willing to drop 50%).

I guess my long winded response is, Try it out first (you will have to find a friend, as there is no test ride from a shop on this one) before you spend money on something you might not be able to get rid of if it does not work for you.

27 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Maybe I am the odd one out here, but I am not enjoying mine. Maybe I haven't used it on proper trails and expects it to be a good "marathon" bike, but just not getting used to it.

Thought this would replace my carbon hardtail and steel SS, but not for me. I prefer a hardtail over a DS any day.

My question is, now what ? Sitting with a bike that I do not enjoy and can not sell (don't mind loosing a bit on the experiment, but not willing to drop 50%).

I guess my long winded response is, Try it out first (you will have to find a friend, as there is no test ride from a shop on this one) before you spend money on something you might not be able to get rid of if it does not work for you.

The Geo of the bike and the fact that it will be relatively heavy definitely don't make it a good 'marathon' bike.

It's likely not going to be super responsive and a bit of a pig to accelerate.

This is where Geo is king in buying a bike. There was a new gen Niner SIR9 steel frame in the classifieds. I bet if you swapped out the Tigre frame with that you would have a winner.

I have a ROS9 and had a SIR9 as well. Both are steel frames, one is for trails, one is for racing.

I kept the trail bike as it's more fun and I've quit racing

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I've been throwing various hardtails down those trails for a very long time.

It is a lot of fun. 

Admittedly I ride a lot less than I used to, but these days, my only MTB is a steel hardtail having sold everything else.

Anyone who tells you it can't do most trails quickly needs to work on their skills

Aaag nee demmit .... FACTS on a FRIDAY .....

What is the Hub coming to ?

You sound like @Me rida my bicycle .... sells a perfect dual suss to get back to a hardtail for the rough stuff ....

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Aaag nee demmit .... FACTS on a FRIDAY .....

What is the Hub coming to ?

You sound like @Me rida my bicycle .... sells a perfect dual suss to get back to a hardtail for the rough stuff ....

Can't beat a good hardtail. I don't like to much maintenance and more importantly I like a quiet ride. Buddy of my rides a seriously expensive dual and every time we encounter a bit of mud his bike sounds like that insurance hippo 🤣 he as had it back to agents and serviced only to stay quiet for a short while. 

8 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Can't beat a good hardtail. I don't like to much maintenance and more importantly I like a quiet ride. Buddy of my rides a seriously expensive dual and every time we encounter a bit of mud his bike sounds like that insurance hippo 🤣 he as had it back to agents and serviced only to stay quiet for a short while. 

Im enjoying my banshee hardtail so much that im considering selling the steel shred-sled too. The big squish is fun over the really rough stuff, but the hardtail literally beats it everywhere else.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

The Geo of the bike and the fact that it will be relatively heavy definitely don't make it a good 'marathon' bike.

It's likely not going to be super responsive and a bit of a pig to accelerate.

This is where Geo is king in buying a bike. There was a new gen Niner SIR9 steel frame in the classifieds. I bet if you swapped out the Tigre frame with that you would have a winner.

I have a ROS9 and had a SIR9 as well. Both are steel frames, one is for trails, one is for racing.

I kept the trail bike as it's more fun and I've quit racing

Think you are hitting the nail on the head there.

That geo is just not working for me. That is why I believe it is important to test before going down that rabbit hole.

Maybe Niner with full Rapide spec is in my future.😁

2 hours ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Don't Take this forum too Seriously.

It's OK for a good Laugh.

6 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Rowdy, squish, banging, janky, gnarly, shred, shred-sled .... bliksem ek raak oud 🤔

I know I definitely used my terms firmly with tongue in cheek! hahaha

6 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

If y'all can just add a 'glossary of terms' for us 'timers it'd help 😎

You know what all those things mean, unless you have 0 imagination or you are just being agist 😅

And anyway…We all call the things we love different pet names…

your liefie is someone elses babes, is someone elses skattebol😊

Edited by MORNE