Spaz - would you do this to your kid?

Chris_

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same same.

This is just another example of man's need to have shinies. Fast cars, expensive bikes, obscenely loud motorbikes, massive houses for 4 people..... It exists because ego, status and the need for radness.

And new DD cups for the missus......

I thought it was cool until you said $1000! i'm sure any child of an age to ride that probably wouldn't ever remember what they were riding, or care!

hey, if someone's got the money though, who am i to say.

Very nice bike.

And there IS a market for it.  We already see Spez balance bikes at Bloemendal, granted, not carbon models....

The kids have no idea of the "details".  You watch the kids having FUN, and only see the brands when they get off the pump track.

Jumping ahead a few years, and to 26'' ...... Brand new entry level options at R4k.  Some better models at R7k .... and a waiting list on the R14k models ....  Thats R1k per month, and they have grown out of it.

As for expensive toys and "brats" ....Certainly, there are many examples of wealthy brats, but just as many of poor brats.  And if you look, MANY examples of wealthy, well adjusted kids !!

"Brats" are typical of bad parenting, rather absent parents .... JIP, gross over generalisation, but not too far off the mark.  I have seen some seriously wealthy kids, with ALL the toys, that are not brats at all.  But the common thread here are the parents were involved throughout their lives.

Sadly I have also seen some of these kids go off the rails due to bad friends, despite the best parenting.

Very nice bike.

And there IS a market for it.  We already see Spez balance bikes at Bloemendal, granted, not carbon models....

The kids have no idea of the "details".  You watch the kids having FUN, and only see the brands when they get off the pump track.

Jumping ahead a few years, and to 26'' ...... Brand new entry level options at R4k.  Some better models at R7k .... and a waiting list on the R14k models ....  Thats R1k per month, and they have grown out of it.

As for expensive toys and "brats" ....Certainly, there are many examples of wealthy brats, but just as many of poor brats.  And if you look, MANY examples of wealthy, well adjusted kids !!

"Brats" are typical of bad parenting, rather absent parents .... JIP, gross over generalisation, but not too far off the mark.  I have seen some seriously wealthy kids, with ALL the toys, that are not brats at all.  But the common thread here are the parents were involved throughout their lives.

Sadly I have also seen some of these kids go off the rails due to bad friends, despite the best parenting.

I have an over the top 26 inch 110mm front and rear suspension kids bike you can buy for 13k if you want.... I rode it as an adult so it should take the kids a while to grow out of.....  :ph34r:

It's relevant to this thread as it's a Spez....  :devil:

If you buy this for your kid you mustn't be surprised when he shows up on TV 18 years later dissing people in working class neighborhoods whilst wearing an EFF jacket.

in fairness, that EFF chap has nearly figured out how to ride his balance bike!

I think judging or mocking people for not being worthy of a nice bike is really sad.  So what if someone on a R200K bike is schlepping up a tame hill that you could smoke on a fixie in reverse?  Feels more like spiteful envy than anything else.  I wish I could afford these fancy new bikes - they are just magnificent.  Completely beyond my skills and entirely superfluous to my needs, but DAMN, they are beautiful.  For the okes who can afford them, have at it!

Edited by PygaSchmyga

I thought it was cool until you said $1000! i'm sure any child of an age to ride that probably wouldn't ever remember what they were riding, or care!

hey, if someone's got the money though, who am i to say.

Don't know why we talking in $, it is R17 000, ke december just swipe gents...

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/hotwalk-carbon/p/188009?color=303781-188009&searchText=94021-0005

The biggest question. If you are a total sheep. Do you buy the Specialized kids balance bike to match your Specialized, or do you buy the KTM balance bike to match your KTM 300?  :ph34r:

light/strong/cheap - pick two (in this case, ignore the third one)

Kids bikes are way too overbuilt. adults break frames from time to time as engineering limits are pushed, you NEVER break a kids frame. i'm guessing it is all down to safety, but why? they wipe out all the time anyway, a catastrophic frame failure would do no more damage than what is normally

SO, i see this as a step in the right direction.