Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

54 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahahahaha I'm still not a drinker, so I quite like getting done and going home.... so I can hop on the IDT or go for a surf or take the boy or/and dogs to the beach

The act of golf is rad. But I guess much like the 'cool' mtb and trail running crowd, there is a lot of beer and peacocking that comes afterwards. 

Some say, not me, mind you, that this is the best part. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I took up golf 18 months ago when I was recovering from Viral meningitis. 

I couldn't run, ride or do anything strenuous but I could walk. I have to admit to absolutely loving it!

There is a beautiful thing is a skill based sport as opposed to an effort based sport.

When people ask the wife how she can let me disappear for 5 hours, her answer is 'it's a helluva lot shorter than a lot of the runs he used to do, so there is nothing to whine about.'

Funny thing is, most golfers I play with aren't at all larny. In general, cyclists and trail runners are way more hoity toity and snobbish than golfers

Totally agree. Played golf my whole life. Im in my early 60s now, and took up cycling about 7 years ago and never for a second thought it would have as many "look at me and how important I am" type people riding bicycles! Quite weird at first because I always thought golfers were king of that pile. And it's definitely getting worse as the years go on.

1 hour ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Totally agree. Played golf my whole life. Im in my early 60s now, and took up cycling about 7 years ago and never for a second thought it would have as many "look at me and how important I am" type people riding bicycles! Quite weird at first because I always thought golfers were king of that pile. And it's definitely getting worse as the years go on.

Must agree, At the golf course as you drive in you obviously see the 2Mill ,3Mill and even 4 Mill cars parked in the members spots, But I've never walkeed in and felt judged at a golf course for not wearing a Titleist or Nike or Under Armour top and shorts or if they done match and aren't of the same brand, same with my shoes(Even though they're quite fancy), Nobody check as them out to make sure they're "worthy" at the course you're at be it Westlake, Steenberg, Royal Cape, Rondebosch or even Pearl Valley. Also never had anyone check out my bag and what clubs I'm using etc so they can "categorise" me, however on the contrary, Pull up to a race or coffee shop on your bike and you best not be wearing Enjoy Bibs with a Ciovita top and a no name helmet and cheap shades with standard wheels and mechanical gearing because then you're almost "not welcome" in the peloton(Not by all, But definitely by some).

46 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Must agree, At the golf course as you drive in you obviously see the 2Mill ,3Mill and even 4 Mill cars parked in the members spots, But I've never walkeed in and felt judged at a golf course for not wearing a Titleist or Nike or Under Armour top and shorts or if they done match and aren't of the same brand, same with my shoes(Even though they're quite fancy), Nobody check as them out to make sure they're "worthy" at the course you're at be it Westlake, Steenberg, Royal Cape, Rondebosch or even Pearl Valley. Also never had anyone check out my bag and what clubs I'm using etc so they can "categorise" me, however on the contrary, Pull up to a race or coffee shop on your bike and you best not be wearing Enjoy Bibs with a Ciovita top and a no name helmet and cheap shades with standard wheels and mechanical gearing because then you're almost "not welcome" in the peloton(Not by all, But definitely by some).

Back in C batch at the 99er there were lots of okes in enjoy tops and ciovita bibs with versus socks, SPD on road bikes and non MIPS helmets as well as a few on 180k pinarellos ... Licorice all sorts. .... Suppose it depends on where you stop for coffee.

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I couldn't run, ride or do anything strenuous but I could walk. I have to admit to absolutely loving it!

There is a beautiful thing is a skill based sport as opposed to an effort based sport.

When people ask the wife how she can let me disappear for 5 hours, her answer is 'it's a helluva lot shorter than a lot of the runs he used to do, so there is nothing to whine about.'

Funny thing is, most golfers I play with aren't at all larny. In general, cyclists and trail runners are way more hoity toity and snobbish than golfers

Golf is still my favorite activity.. not playing currently but I miss it.. 

it’s such a rollercoaster of emotions.. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Bichael Dewing said:

Golf is still my favorite activity.. not playing currently but I miss it.. 

it’s such a rollercoaster of emotions.. 🤣🤣

There are few things in life both as satisfying and infuriating at the same time as golf.

7 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

There is a beautiful thing in a skill based sport as opposed to an effort based sport.

do you play golf with a ping pong ball and a tennis racquet to match your BMX efforts?

5 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Look mate, its simple

If you not in PNS you're a P*N*S......

there, now you can never unsee it ROTFLMAO

Edited by DieselnDust

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There are few things in life both as satisfying and infuriating at the same time as golf.

Like just about everyone I have tried golf and agree except for what I found missing; the adrenaline rush you get after a steep downhill run or even a challenging little climb, same as a good wave, ocean type that is.

12 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Like just about everyone I have tried golf and agree except for what I found missing; the adrenaline rush you get after a steep downhill run or even a challenging little climb, same as a good wave, ocean type that is.

Never experienced the elusive hole-in-one, I guess ;)? Maybe that's why some folks prefer the adrenaline rush of cycling downhill. It's like the thrill of a steep run, just with more golf clubs, less bruises and fewer miraculous moments on the green, oh and waiting

5 hours ago, mazambaan said:

same as a good wave, ocean type that is.

NOTHING comes remotely close to feeling the sting of the spray as you exit the barrel in the midst of the blow-out. Billabong coined it when they said "Only a surfer knows the feeling". 

If you've experienced how time slows down inside a tube then you know, and you are part of a very select few lucky people on earth. For the rest, they will forever be chasing something they don't know they need.

21 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

NOTHING comes remotely close to feeling the sting of the spray as you exit the barrel in the midst of the blow-out. Billabong coined it when they said "Only a surfer knows the feeling". 

If you've experienced how time slows down inside a tube then you know, and you are part of a very select few lucky people on earth. For the rest, they will forever be chasing something they don't know they need.

coming to a surf ranch near you!

11-Time World Champion Kelly Slater Launches World-Class Surf Park in Abu  Dhabi - Sports Illustrated Surfing News, Analysis and More

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

experienced that feeling while body boarding (No jokes from the surfers please), riding a horse and being chased by a bull doing your first jump over a big trench, running with a rugby ball, fighting in the ring ........... waiting for your pay to clear as a youth 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Down the beach
image.png.68d5693886347154fedaf270809e9499.png