Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

On 2/22/2024 at 2:43 PM, TheAntoine1 said:

Totally agree. Played golf my whole life. Im in my early 60s now, and took up cycling about 7 years ago and never for a second thought it would have as many "look at me and how important I am" type people riding bicycles! Quite weird at first because I always thought golfers were king of that pile. And it's definitely getting worse as the years go on.

Hey hey. 

Pedal in circle 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

coming to a surf ranch near you!

11-Time World Champion Kelly Slater Launches World-Class Surf Park in Abu  Dhabi - Sports Illustrated Surfing News, Analysis and More

good luck paying for a surf at one of those. the price per wave is something stoopid. I'd rather go surf somewhere exotic like Cloud 9 in Fiji if I were to spend that kind of money.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

being chased by a bull doing your first jump over a big trench

funny story. So circa '98 I'm instructed to go get the Siementhaler bull out of the Friesland camp where the neighbours cows are grazing. Haute as he was named decided to jump the fence, all 760 kg of him. I arrive to find him doing his best to the cow who was properly half his size. I start yelling at him to dismount and of course he ignores me. I grab the closest thing I can get which is a green fence spar and start rapping him on his flank to get off and get out.

It was at this point he knew he had mucked up

Haute decides to dismount and drop his head and charge right at me to gouge me into oblivion. I have never run as fast in my life and leapt clean over the 5 foot fence in one clean swoop.

Old man and his boet are standing in the road howling with laughter at me while I'm running for my life in 42 deg C heat. Got to the farmhouse, grabbed a Castle dumpie from the fridge and chugged it in two sips.

I believe that was the day the boy became a man.

8 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

good luck paying for a surf at one of those. the price per wave is something stoopid. I'd rather go surf somewhere exotic like Cloud 9 in Fiji if I were to spend that kind of money.

wasn't so great when i went there...

ABLVV87A0imYFDcDf2zMhvR8D9XUPVj2V-Qi3KusABU-_K8_T8CHchnJ49_xGhPh3vb6R1mriPZ7BG4WqoX8-0wFrTOmL6lVmjDtIvWa2wMPOaRSJxpZ2q7e5z1oPVl6osP9ZwBt3pw_jre1Y4bam6wS4jfocSJNFVciTbFOYnYOtuPABv8wwMNBToAy70LE5BFt0R8N1YHbbBcVnSJ6K5nFtlfKvb0bQhw9xjdK4whghNLyXnYtcMsZVu7J1ZHHrAZZUtpt2sp3Nc3Mu8AAnOZ8lYN6CWQycc-EZwrkrg1U9C5Sqh40j6n-1fKU2F_TVEoGCCCQhjk3-QHdYr7UcPsloCmbQoEkzdtdPYDZjpRcCPMlq5KJT4AQCv5qitXlPM6TaN64oIfbv2A8tKprf4RBxOO_r-1gqeUiFnL00S8LAbK-gJzZfPMY_587exMCTJEohhhDiUtjiN_gGlGlLh0UG_7FaDWHooXCJQIfbEDS8ESm5qidH3GJc9nV6efbdWLe6KAnAcypq70_2hQoeO5VxMHOGe-IVCzBpx85guRHnI-m31P_Z8zZQxQKTB1ctxLg10lI3zjUxOTRkqCNDmqr0Y4H_rCygaCeCumD1MaR2nETySsj_9orxHy3Oec6QlW5qyiDw-5D9h1Y_Bnx1BUIyxWGk3Stz-as031aA0AcZJGKM_C9iHe7lO8c-zBFFpeVFzixLXQGXeSErRvD6SmoTCAnKqjOrlu_bugdhBfksKyBj0kDhYbxxF6VQn6Xz1DKO0UGjDxOgphrSrtAX58x2eokuh80Yhnj_I0Y4jdoJudkLKgznzgG2xn0whsBmaR2y0elv0YA1DF-jolQ_aJZSomIqaCTneEzc9V--g9hshH5VaEi3BnwSftG8mfcpvtW0fJUe8P2EBVm3IcZ9XZ-fTgy-5Kc=w807-h607-s-no-gm?authuser=0

On 2/22/2024 at 10:40 AM, Jewbacca said:

I took up golf 18 months ago when I was recovering from Viral meningitis. 

I couldn't run, ride or do anything strenuous but I could walk. I have to admit to absolutely loving it!

There is a beautiful thing in a skill based sport as opposed to an effort based sport.

When people ask the wife how she can let me disappear for 5 hours, her answer is 'it's a helluva lot shorter than a lot of the runs he used to do, so there is nothing to whine about.'

Funny thing is, most golfers I play with aren't at all larny. In general, cyclists and trail runners are way more hoity toity and snobbish than golfers

About 10 years ago I suggested to my wife that we take up golf together because of this and also it was a sport we could do together without having to worry about one having to wait for the other like when we run or cycle. It turned out great and she constantly beats me, unlike running or cycling where I would beat her 😁

She’s always bragging about how she started and finished with the same ball, unlike moi who has to carry a bag of spare balls in his golf bag 

Sticking to the topic 😇

sometimes the margin between making it home safely or becoming part of the statistics is inches . Like about 2 inches today in my case .

my riding buddy and me were cycling towards Prince Albert early today on the tar road from the N1 . We were lit up like Christmas trees I had my Varia plus my Bontrager Flash on my seatpost.

we heard a car coming at high speed and were riding single file sticking to the very egde of the road . The @#$&% in a red Golf passed us at a guess 140 or more on a straight open road . Call me liar for saying 2 inches and make it 3 .

Lo and behold few km’s on we saw the car parked next to the road .  I was planning my shots and kicks . The driver was completely passed out . We opened his door he was out stone cold and unresponsive . A few minutes earlier he was hurtling that projectile at high speed .

We stopped at our local police station and reported the incident and saw them leave with a van.

Cycling towards town I was thinking of all our brothers who were doing what we were doing and did not make it .

And was thinking of Jenny Munton still fighting for her life .

Edited by Prince Albert Cycles

31 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Sticking to the topic 😇

sometimes the margin between making it home safely or becoming part of the statistics is inches . Like about 2 inches today in my case .

my riding buddy and me were cycling towards Prince Albert early today on the tar road from the N1 . We were lit up like Christmas trees I had my Varia plus my Bontrager Flash on my seatpost.

we heard a car coming at high speed and were riding single file sticking to the very egde of the road . The @#$&% in a red Golf passed us at a guess 140 or more on a straight open road . Call me liar for saying 2 inches and make it 3 .

Lo and behold few km’s on we saw the car parked next to the road .  I was planning my shots and kicks . The driver was completely passed out . We opened his door he was out stone cold and unresponsive . A few minutes earlier he was hurtling that projectile at high speed .

We stopped at our local police station and reported the incident and saw them leave with a van.

Cycling towards town I was thinking of all our brothers who were doing what we were doing and did not make it .

And was thinking of Jenny Bunton still fighting for her life .

Hectic
Glad nothing bad happened.

Next time. take his keys and drop them off at the Cop Shop.
(I hope that there isn't ever a next time...)

On 2/23/2024 at 9:22 PM, SwissVan said:

About 10 years ago I suggested to my wife that we take up golf together because of this and also it was a sport we could do together without having to worry about one having to wait for the other like when we run or cycle. It turned out great and she constantly beats me, unlike running or cycling where I would beat her 😁

She’s always bragging about how she started and finished with the same ball, unlike moi who has to carry a bag of spare balls in his golf bag 

You were born with balls, thus you took them for granted. She on the other hand...

I did the run from the V&A to Simonstown and back over Chappies yesterday and apart from the mad wind and rain, I had a handful of close calls with traffic on Chappies. I was riding the extreme left, hugging the barrier wall trying not to get blown off the cliff. Most cars either slowed down or waited patiently to pass. I would acknowledge them with a wave. Some cars just passed so close I thought their side mirrors would smash my bars. And then some cars just try and race up that hill.

I am reminded again why I prefer to rather ride trails. The next time I ride there is on the cycle tour and then I think I'm done for a while. Road riding stresses me out too much.

@Robbie StewartThat weather on Saturday was crazy - added about 22 minutes to our time for the same route the previous weekend. 

Has anyone got an update on the recovery of the cyclist hit by the motorbike and the investigation? 

4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

@Robbie StewartThat weather on Saturday was crazy - added about 22 minutes to our time for the same route the previous weekend. 

Has anyone got an update on the recovery of the cyclist hit by the motorbike and the investigation? 

That out and back took me just shy of 7 hours for 103 km. Now, doing it on a set of Assegai and DHR is not wise, but I am teeing up a new set of Rekon Race tires, but sheez even on that gravity rubber it was still super slow. Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I was starting to think I'm broken or something.

22 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

That out and back took me just shy of 7 hours for 103 km. Now, doing it on a set of Assegai and DHR is not wise, but I am teeing up a new set of Rekon Race tires, but sheez even on that gravity rubber it was still super slow. Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I was starting to think I'm broken or something.

gooi a set of C50 gravel tekkies on for the world champ of fun rides :thumbup:

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

he is an e-bike rider, they're normally a bit slow

Only when above 25kmph but before that they move it