Riding times

TNT1

I am super bummed about the curfew times, I was going to be doing a ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 04:00 till 05:30, now that is no longer an option, I start work at 07:00 so I don't really have any other time to go out, after work the traffic is dangerous so don't really want to risk that, and I don't have an IDT, so I am pretty much stuffed, weekend rides only for me now ????

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They stated masks not required for vigorous exercises...

"... provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person."

Stationery trainer, simple.

You certainly don't want to take a fall and end up in hospital.....Don't take the risk it's the law and its time to stay safe.

You can do a lot on a trainer. I did a sub 3 Argus totally training on a trainer, had shoulder surgery and had no option. First ride on the road was 100km the week before!

I ride bikes coz it's fun, not for fitness. So a stationary trainer is a big no for me, can't think of a worse way to spend an hour. Actually sold my trainer a few months ago when I decided to get rid of my gravel bike.

I am back at work on the 11th, so hopefully only one week of curfew. For that week I'll just ride after work. Hopefully it's a lekker windstill week, although that is wishfull thinking in Somerset West in January.

Hopefully thereafter the curfew is lifted. If I want to ride before work I need to be back home at 6:30, so 5:00 start works for me.

I ride bikes coz it's fun, not for fitness. So a stationary trainer is a big no for me, can't think of a worse way to spend an hour. Actually sold my trainer a few months ago when I decided to get rid of my gravel bike.

I am back at work on the 11th, so hopefully only one week of curfew. For that week I'll just ride after work. Hopefully it's a lekker windstill week, although that is wishfull thinking in Somerset West in January.

Hopefully thereafter the curfew is lifted. If I want to ride before work I need to be back home at 6:30, so 5:00 start works for me.

Plus 1 here, boring as hell.

I use the trainer on realy wet days, horid winter days and as said following surgery.

Nowdays I also ride for fun and fitness, but still have initials programed to the trainer for extreme workouts.

Sadly the times we live in have negatively changes our ways a little. I would love to see the back of this virus and return to the start line.

The article mentions rigorous and vigorous, so I googled the difference as I wasn't aware exactly what each means.

One time when the public is let off the hook from wearing the protective gear is when they are engaging in rigorous exercise (severe; intense) though, which will come as both a relief to many and possibly a challenge to law enforcement monitoring compliance.

The regulations also state that the law “shall not apply to a person who undertakes vigorous exercise (physically strong and active) in a public place, provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person”.

So, if it says vigorous exercise in the Gazette, then I guess the definition would be less intense as rigourous.

Humour aside, the curfew doesn't really impact my training, for now. For the last few years, I've struggled to get up early; afternoons were better for me in the warmer months. At least the sun sets relatively late, so makes for easier training (where I stay).

I understand both sides of the story with the curfew. 6am simply does not work for most normal cyclists who want to get in a ride before work. I used to get on my bike at 5am and do an hour or so. At 6am my life is far more in danger with traffic. Now I just don't ride before work.

It is also such a shlep to go to the gym and sit on a stationary bike for an hour just to get some cycling in. The gym is also restricted at the moment with the new rules. I have not yet decided how I am going to approach this moving forward. For now I am a couch potato, gaining weight and losing fitness, weakening my immune system and making me more vulnerable for a more severe case of this virus. I know, it is by choice, but my preference would have been to get on my bike and cycle for an hour at 5am.

Doesn’t affect my riding times. Hitting the road at 6am is very early.

Tour de Zwift is happening, which gives me enough of a carrot to chase on the kickr.

Edited by RocknRolla

Who cares. Make peace with the fact we can't ride before 6am, no amount of bickering is going to change it.

IDT rocks. Zwift rocks. Time to embrace the fact that the times are changing. Like disc brakes on road bikes  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Stay safe, wear your mask, avoid crowds. Your riding mates will remain your riding mates. That's the way I see it. 

I understand both sides of the story with the curfew. 6am simply does not work for most normal cyclists who want to get in a ride before work. I used to get on my bike at 5am and do an hour or so. At 6am my life is far more in danger with traffic. Now I just don't ride before work.

It is also such a shlep to go to the gym and sit on a stationary bike for an hour just to get some cycling in. The gym is also restricted at the moment with the new rules. I have not yet decided how I am going to approach this moving forward. For now I am a couch potato, gaining weight and losing fitness, weakening my immune system and making me more vulnerable for a more severe case of this virus. I know, it is by choice, but my preference would have been to get on my bike and cycle for an hour at 5am.

If you can sit on a couch and watch tv, you can sit on an IDT and watch tv, it is the same mental stimulation. 1 you just do with your legs moving. I got through a few movies the other night.

If you can sit on a couch and watch tv, you can sit on an IDT and watch tv, it is the same mental stimulation. 1 you just do with your legs moving. I got through a few movies the other night.

I hear you, but I don't have an IDT so for me it requires going to the gym which is a shlep, and additional exposure.

Weather in Gauteng also sucks atm. Went to Cradle Moon yeaterday hoping to do the blue, red and yellow route. Inaccuweather showed a few mm of rain at 06:00. It got there at 07:40. 2km into my ride I was soaking wet, shoes flooded with water and paths looking like rivers. Forecast for the next few days also not looking good, and was really hoping for a few good rides before I have to work again on the 11th.

Left home at 6.03 this morning.

Was an interesting mix of the odd car enroute to work, couple of walkers, very few cyclists.

As I got closer to the trails more and more cyclists appeared out of the side streets.

Saw about 10 riders on the Oatlands corridor ....

Got to Dairy shed at 8.00. Ordered the first coffee, before I was finished, about 8 more riders got their drinks.

Very nice vibe at Dairy shed. Get your drink, find a table, and miles of social distancing. The next gets their drinks ...

Clearly many not back at work, and making the best of the cool morning air.

Would be nice to start at 5.30 .... glad for the ride time we do get, and the safe way the riders behave at Dairy shed.

Fully understand the frustrations of those that are back at work, and cant ride pre-work .... may soon join this group ...

Who cares. Make peace with the fact we can't ride before 6am, no amount of bickering is going to change it.

IDT rocks. Zwift rocks. Time to embrace the fact that the times are changing. Like disc brakes on road bikes  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Stay safe, wear your mask, avoid crowds. Your riding mates will remain your riding mates. That's the way I see it. 

Yoh.... I have disc brakes on a road bike on the IDT!!!