Squirt Lube

Peron

1 hour ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Every day lube: Epic clean ride

Long distance/event dry lube: Rock n roll gold

Long distance/event muddy ride: Rock n roll blue

This is the way....

I did try squirt a few times but it just seemed to completely vanish off my chain with the mere thought of wet fynbos.

If you need a real potent chain cleaner use squirt and wipe it with wet fynbos.

Apply squirt in advance...12hrs or so, it helps against the elements...for wet fynbos you might need a belt driven drive chain.

Edited by Jakkals.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/1/2021 at 8:43 PM, RiverInTheRoad said:

Love this lube! And it smells great. Lol

Should smell the Ceramic stuff version

Oooooh baybeh

3 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Every day lube: Epic clean ride

Long distance/event dry lube: Rock n roll gold

Long distance/event muddy ride: Rock n roll blue

This is the way....

I did try squirt a few times but it just seemed to completely vanish off my chain with the mere thought of wet fynbos.

If you need a real potent chain cleaner use squirt and wipe it with wet fynbos.

I have not tried Fynbos as a chain cleaner .... not yet. :P

Can confirm it works remarkably well to cushion a high speed crash ..... :eek: :ph34r:

A-3.jpg.3743df08e1c2e0aa8c0c08e67a5e33a1.jpg

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

Squirt and Smoove are the 2 south African Made Top Lubes, Tried and Tested.

Can Extend the Life of your Chain if used Correctly and Often Enough.

Don't Listen to Comedians.

I agree , if one is going to buy lube then those two are my go to options. Been making my own for a few years and results have been great. Hot melt is now my go to followed by applications of Ryder or squirt ( I have enough samples to last me till 2030)

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I agree , if one is going to buy lube then those two are my go to options. Been making my own for a few years and results have been great. Hot melt is now my go to followed by applications of Ryder or squirt ( I have enough samples to last me till 2030)

"samples"

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Basically you make your own.

clean your chain in isopropyl alcohol.

let it dry thoroughly 

take a few candles and melt them in a pot.

30gr of candle is about 50ml of melted wax so melt about 3 csndles

add an equal amount of your favourite oil. This can be engine oil, fish oil, or whatever you have around the house. Just not baby oil is it’s not viscous enough and is low on lubricity

stir 

oh don’t overheat the pot, about 100 degrees is enough an electric stove is safer. 

stir for a minute then dip the chain in til submerged and switch the  stove off . Leave the chain in till the mix starts cooling off and lumps of wax reform. Remove the chain and allow it to air dry / cool on some paper towel 

don’t be tempted to remove the chain while everything is still liquid because the wax and oil will just run off and you’re back to square one.

I was so tempted to try the wax route but my concern was not being able to "top up" on a long race stage...Any update on that? Had lots of chats on the Hub with a cool guy who was going to send me some......I'm a Squirt fan.

Does Smoove still require its own proprietary remover/solvent? A family member tried it a couple of years ago and it browned his lawn...

6 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I was so tempted to try the wax route but my concern was not being able to "top up" on a long race stage...Any update on that? Had lots of chats on the Hub with a cool guy who was going to send me some......I'm a Squirt fan.

Does Smoove still require its own proprietary remover/solvent? A family member tried it a couple of years ago and it browned his lawn...

Used Smoove for about 6 years.  Normally just wipe the chain down with a rag, then re.apply.  When dirty, the chain scrubber was used with Namgear.

Worked well enough.

The only issue was after very long rides in late summer, when our trails are very dusty ... the chain would get dry and noisy.  A bit of lube trailside was used 4 or 5 times.

At the 2022 Argus expo I bought some Squirt ebike lube.  It does seem to last a bit longer (or maybe I just did less dusty rides ..).  2023 expo I bought some more 👍👍

Still use Smoove on Maritz's bikes.

With both I try to apply at least the night before the ride.

23 minutes ago, love2fly said:

You can top up with any Squirt or Others.

With Hot Wax Method there is no need to degrease just clean your chain with alcohol.

7 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

With Hot Wax Method there is no need to degrease just clean your chain with alcohol.

I try to only degrease after 3 or so dusty ish rides. By degrease I mean I spray with Pink Stuff and scrub when I wash my bike. Between these I hold with a cloth squeezing the top and bottom of the chain and back pedal. 11000km on my XX1 chain and v little/no wear so far.

35 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I try to only degrease after 3 or so dusty ish rides. By degrease I mean I spray with Pink Stuff and scrub when I wash my bike. Between these I hold with a cloth squeezing the top and bottom of the chain and back pedal. 11000km on my XX1 chain and v little/no wear so far.

to Clean the chain between rides I wipe it with a rag dosed in isopropyl Alcohol and just run it through the rag.

Once a month i"ll do a more thorough clean and reapply the hot wax. The beauty of hot melt is that when the chain is in the bath the warm wax and oil does a good job of cleaning the chain anyway

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

That's good to know. Might have to revisit.

On 4/3/2023 at 7:05 PM, love2fly said:

I was so tempted to try the wax route but my concern was not being able to "top up" on a long race stage...

Squirt is wax based, I use it to top up when I'm too lazy or short on time to go through the cleaning and melting of wax route. It just requires a tiny bit more cleaning before the next bath.

Don't use "any" lube if you went through the trouble of degreasing your chain before applying wax, you don't want grease back in there

Edited by Jbr

If you Overheat the Chain it Damages the Coating.

Buddy of mine Overcooked his brand new Chain and It went All Blue and Brittle.

Had to Buy a New Chain.

Stick to Squirt and Ride Into the Sunset.