GCN+

Mntboy

7 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Yeah 100mbps should be just fine. Assume Speedtest.net shows you get close to that? I mostly watch on my PC and my Android TV player (like R1100) and use VPN on both when needed. Sometimes on VPN I get a few stutters/pauses but would say 99% of time it is near perfect.  

I consistently get north of 90-something Mbps on my line. @lechatnoir thanks for the confidence booster with you running on a 6 Mbps line (at was resolution). Short Track is at, I think, 1800 this evening. So a good time to test and see what American horrors awaits us in terms of commentary ... 😂

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tinmug said:

So a good time to test and see what American horrors awaits us in terms of commentary ... 😂

image.png.88181678ccea5de7ff5766d3b3db4202.png

The commentary and visuals are not too bad. The streaming is practically useless though.

About 70% clear, 30% blocky rubbish and the occasional outright pause. Not sure if it's worth the entry price (watching on HD TV, not mobile device – at my age I need the biggest screen I can get). 

I watched the men's race with a 45-minute delay. No issues streaming this time. 

The streaming issues started this year. Last year I could watch with no buffering, clear HD. Maybe as more subscribers joined their servers struggle with the traffic. Surely with even more subscribers due to the MTB this will have to be resolved.

I have been watching on a full HD TV, sometimes using my iPhone or laptop - all have the same issues. But, the bad quality seems to only affect the popular events.

Edited by Red Bird
Added devices

On 5/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, tinmug said:

I consistently get north of 90-something Mbps on my line. @lechatnoir thanks for the confidence booster with you running on a 6 Mbps line (at was resolution). Short Track is at, I think, 1800 this evening. So a good time to test and see what American horrors awaits us in terms of commentary ... 😂

FWIW, my picture quality is 99% fine, with buffering from time-to-time dropping the quality drastically. But running on a 6mbps connection (what's avaialble in my area) I can't realistically expect a whole lot more

for me the buffering, disconnect and constant frame dropping from visible excellent quality to absolute rubbish happens on my Droid tabled, mibox, but when i stream via Browser on PC no issues. so its defn something to do with the mobile platforms.  for once Windows win!!

No issues for us - using a Mi-Box on an old FHD samsung TV. Its fiber speed dependent of course and we seem to be going through a purple patch of high speed stability at the moment. We lost FHD one or twice with a kid gaming online on the same router with a hard connection to his PC.

I was very happy with the coverage. Ric and Josh are familiar to those who follow the EWS and the new ladies were great too. 

5 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

FWIW, my picture quality is 99% fine, with buffering from time-to-time dropping the quality drastically. But running on a 6mbps connection (what's avaialble in my area) I can't realistically expect a whole lot more

I should add, I use the Samsung smart TV app or via a PC if a VPN is needed.

49 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I should add, I use the Samsung smart TV app or via a PC if a VPN is needed.

Quick stupid question to those in the know.
Once you have registered as a South African GCN user and THEN install a VPN, do you have to re-register a different account on GCN?

I cant remember that I had to give address or country when I first registered............

Just now, Spinnekop said:

Once you have registered as a South African GCN user and THEN install a VPN, do you have to re-register a different account on GCN?

I cant remember that I had to give address or country when I first registered............

good question... so the VPN thing os only applicable to PC streaming for me. I find I have to log in to GCN+ without VPN, then connect the VPN and select racing. Only then does is play nicely. If I connect the VPN first, it plays silly-buggers. Almost cost me a remote keyboard in frustration!

4 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

No, one account is all you need.

There is no way to change the country in the settings, and I don’t see anywhere to change it.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

No, one account is all you need.

There is no way to change the country in the settings, and I don’t see anywhere to change it.

Correct. GCN detects IP and determines GEO location and then opens for that country. So one user on GCN is all you need and one account for your VPN provider. So in my case I always connect to VPN first to obtain other country IP (usually UK or US) and then open GCN which loads content based on country it detects (same as Netflix and other streaming apps).