GCN+

Mntboy

22 hours ago, HdB said:

Correct, for example the Tour de France, Paris Roubaix, everything shown live on Super Sport basically. Giro d'Italia didn't need a vpn

Thanks

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, HdB said:

Correct, for example the Tour de France, Paris Roubaix, everything shown live on Super Sport basically. Giro d'Italia didn't need a vpn

Yes - but the BIG difference is that SuperSport although broadcasting the TdF - will many times only show the last 2 hours of the day. GCN+ will broadcast from start to end. And because SuperSport has the licence, GCN+ do not broadcast to SA. Hence for me making a VPN a definite requirement.  And....GCN commentators are just leagues ahead of the ones on SuperSport. The whole GCN set up is just in another league

15 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Yes - but the BIG difference is that SuperSport although broadcasting the TdF - will many times only show the last 2 hours of the day. GCN+ will broadcast from start to end. And because SuperSport has the licence, GCN+ do not broadcast to SA. Hence for me making a VPN a definite requirement.  And....GCN commentators are just leagues ahead of the ones on SuperSport. The whole GCN set up is just in another league

Agreed. Plus no Cecil Nurse or Marriot ads just as the attacks start or the sprint finish is close

Edited by HdB

• 2 months later...

Where do I rant about Supersport's recent (not so recent) change in their TV schedule? I now go to GCN to see what is live and then go back to SS to understand what to watch where...

You're either looking at each channel or guessing where the event is:

image.png.5360a6997497823c51c36049fa0eb78f.png

image.png.7fdeee3d41aac29915c7d51c7758be5c.png

(My GCN+ subscription has lapsed and I haven't decided to renew just yet, waiting for the mtb coverage to pan out)

13 minutes ago, Roul said:

Where do I rant about Supersport's recent (not so recent) change in their TV schedule? I now go to GCN to see what is live and then go back to SS to understand what to watch where...

You're either looking at each channel or guessing where the event is:

image.png.5360a6997497823c51c36049fa0eb78f.png

image.png.7fdeee3d41aac29915c7d51c7758be5c.png

(My GCN+ subscription has lapsed and I haven't decided to renew just yet, waiting for the mtb coverage to pan out)

Create a rant page called Supersport/StupidSport, or search for the DStv thread.

That’s why I would do.

Edited by Frosty
That’s what I would do

On 11/28/2022 at 8:18 AM, HdB said:

Agreed. Plus no Cecil Nurse or Marriot ads just as the attacks start or the sprint finish is close

no, but they make up for it with Carlton Kirby... swings and roundabouts hey?

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Create a rant page called Supersport/StupidSport, or search for the DStv thread.

That’s why I would do.

sure there are many already...

I know the Software that SS uses for their EPG, nothing wrong there, this is Garbage in Garbage out...

G

• 2 months later...

Signed up with GCN+ yesterday, watched – or should I rather say tried to watch – a few films. The streaming quality is absurd.

Netflix, Youtube, Red Bull, Britbox etc all cry happy and super crisp. GCN+ a blurry mess with frequent pauses. 

I sincerely hope that was some isolated issue and that the XCO this weekend is significantly better ... 🤞

On 2/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, Comrade J said:

I found this youtube site JamowTV with plenty of live streaming, no adverts, free of charge.

Right now I am watching Vuelta a Andalucia 2023 | Stage 1 |

404. Must be geoblocked here. As 🤬 usual. 

37 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Signed up with GCN+ yesterday, watched – or should I rather say tried to watch – a few films. The streaming quality is absurd.

Netflix, Youtube, Red Bull, Britbox etc all cry happy and super crisp. GCN+ a blurry mess with frequent pauses. 

I sincerely hope that was some isolated issue and that the XCO this weekend is significantly better ... 🤞

Strange - The Giro is streamed on GCN in South Africa - i.e. you do not need to be connected to a VPN to watch. I watch the whole day every day and it is super crisp at least 1080p quality the entire time, no pausing at all. As you start it is blurry but within seconds jumps to full quality. What is your bandwidth? - yes I am spoiled running a 500Mbps fibre line. 

I’m on a 20mbps line and hardly have problems with GCN+ with or without the VPN being used. Occasionally the resolution will be terrible, but nothing that a refresh doesn’t resolve.

53 minutes ago, tinmug said:

13 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Strange - The Giro is streamed on GCN in South Africa - i.e. you do not need to be connected to a VPN to watch. I watch the whole day every day and it is super crisp at least 1080p quality the entire time, no pausing at all. As you start it is blurry but within seconds jumps to full quality. What is your bandwidth? - yes I am spoiled running a 500Mbps fibre line. 

Have also experienced this, running a 50/50mbps line (yes not 500😵). The coverage and all that is great, but the player/interface could be better. Why no streaming option and the forwarding feels very clunky.

But the content is great!

I'm running a 100mbps (fibre) line, and the TV side gets very close to that (wired to modem). For subscription money I expect it to be a LOT better than what I've seen.

But to be fair I have to test a little more first: next up is the short track racing this afternoon ... will see how that goes. 

(I watch cycling through Apple TV, avoid VPNs as it messes with my professional software and, I've heard, Netflix)

35 minutes ago, tinmug said:

I'm running a 100mbps (fibre) line, and the TV side gets very close to that (wired to modem). For subscription money I expect it to be a LOT better than what I've seen.

But to be fair I have to test a little more first: next up is the short track racing this afternoon ... will see how that goes. 

(I watch cycling through Apple TV, avoid VPNs as it messes with my professional software and, I've heard, Netflix)

Yeah 100mbps should be just fine. Assume Speedtest.net shows you get close to that? I mostly watch on my PC and my Android TV player (like R1100) and use VPN on both when needed. Sometimes on VPN I get a few stutters/pauses but would say 99% of time it is near perfect.  

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I’m on a 20mbps line and hardly have problems with GCN+ with or without the VPN being used. Occasionally the resolution will be terrible, but nothing that a refresh doesn’t resolve.

I'm on a 6mbps and GCN is fine for me, even when running a Teams meeting simultaneously.