GCN+

Mntboy

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

As you can see on the Tour thread, I have no problems. Which VPN provider are you using?

NordVPN. What device are you using?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

It will probably get worse as dstv keeps loosing clients ....

I might have to figure out this vpn stuff .... 😉

Easy as pie. Purchase a (pricey) sub, hovers around R1000-R2000 per annum, turn it on on your device, pick a country where GCN is not locked (often China and for some reason NZ are locked), then open up the GCN app, and the race should broadcast. I've been doing this since day one, and only now with the Tour has it kicked back, but I can't conclusively say it's the VPN. The GCN app keeps telling me to Subscribe to Watch, but I know I've renewed my membership for 2022. 

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

There is a big problem in SA regarding Cycling and F1 broadcasts, not normal that you have to use a VPN to use another provider than DSTV… For some reason motorbikes racing still works through official videopass without a VPN though..

I wouldn’t recommend setting up you VPN in your router though, you might experience lags or issues using some services like Google search as they will see you as a bot and throw you multiple captchas. I only login on NordVPN on my phone or computer when I need it, then stream on the AppleTV

100% agree.

i used to enable the VPN on my router and watch GCN+ using the my samsung TV's app.

that app appears to be broken though - has not worked for the better part of a year (apparently they are aware of the issue and trying to fix it)

i've since moved to my Macbook - i run the VPN on only the macbook and airplay the broadcast to my TV

3 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Easy as pie. Purchase a (pricey) sub, hovers around R1000-R2000 per annum, turn it on on your device, pick a country where GCN is not locked (often China and for some reason NZ are locked), then open up the GCN app, and the race should broadcast. I've been doing this since day one, and only now with the Tour has it kicked back, but I can't conclusively say it's the VPN. The GCN app keeps telling me to Subscribe to Watch, but I know I've renewed my membership for 2022. 

try this.

deactivate the VPN.

Fully shut down all devices - leave them off for 10seconds. start them again.

log into GCN+ and try stream any service that is available WITHOUT THE VPN - like one of the documentaries. if that works we know its not GCN+ thats the issue

should help you isolate the problem

19 minutes ago, Furbz said:

if anyone is looking for a good VPN - i use NordVPN.

they have excellent backup if you are struggling - they even helped me load the VPN onto my router.

very effective people there

Me too.

I started using them because I needed a reliable and quality service to be able to watch Hulu. Hulu were able to pick up I was using a VPN from other providers, except NordVPN. When GCN+ came along, I was already setup, and haven't had a day's problems.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Me too.

I started using them because I needed a reliable and quality service to be able to watch Hulu. Hulu were able to pick up I was using a VPN from other providers, except NordVPN. When GCN+ came along, I was already setup, and haven't had a day's problems.

I currently use VPN Unlimited and it seems OK. Netflix manages OK

I am subscribed on GCN+ and I use NordVPN on my:

Samsung Phone

Apple iPad

Windows PC

All of them works flawlessly and I am able to watch full coverage of the TdF. It is a pleasure to use! I fully agree with previous comments: Not to set up VPN on your router - UNLESS your router is capable of split tunneling. And that is where things can become a bit tricky/hairy to manage. Tunneling allows you to route only certain devices via the VPN - which is what you want. As VPN slows down your connection by as much as 40% - 60%, I would want the rest of the house to have the full speed of my local fibre ISP connection. As such I stick to VPN on specific devices. For the TdF I mostly all the time connect to the UK and that gives me great uninterrupted full HD coverage. 

Oh - and the VPN works just fine for streaming services like Netflix and Prime. Although we never really do that as SA content is not that bad. 

Edited by pedal menace

I have two routers, one spec'd by NordVPN and the other the default piece of **** that my ISP provides (non configurable). As Fubrz mentioned, their support is fantastic; they talked me through everything step by step until it showed I was protected.
image.png.9bf4ea4b6b002baa2880627998392de2.png

You can also do a DNS Leak Test, so see if you're actually connected in the country you want to be in. Ignore the Internet Solutions bit, I'm connected to my work VPN from home.
image.png.3b676275fe3645fc4ef83b69819bfd3b.png

I know it sounds random but if you're struggling with GCN+ try changing your password and logging in again. 

GCN does not have it but some of the other apps uses the location service of your device to block you irrespective of VPN. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the first time that I was unable to access GCN+ on any device connected to my router, since I starting using the dedicated router with the VPN Client installed. The fix was simple as moving to another server, downloading the config files from the NordVPN servers and uploading to the router. I'm back up and running, or rather watching the Tour again. Such a simple process, and no stress to it; took less than 5 minutes to sort everything out.

28 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Today was the first time that I was unable to access GCN+ on any device connected to my router, since I starting using the dedicated router with the VPN Client installed. The fix was simple as moving to another server, downloading the config files from the NordVPN servers and uploading to the router. I'm back up and running, or rather watching the Tour again. Such a simple process, and no stress to it; took less than 5 minutes to sort everything out.

please type slower, with pictures .... some of use different size hammers to fix problems ....

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

please type slower, with pictures .... some of use different size hammers to fix problems ....

Today was the first time that I was unable to access GCN+

I had to change settings on the router. 
😁

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Today was the first time that I was unable to access GCN+

I had to change settings on the router. 
😁

so a medium size hammer did the trick ....

Screenshot_20220719-203755_Chrome.jpg.a109052414a100a81ce1fc7e68f17f3f.jpg

So like all things electronic .... easy, once you have paid the school fees....

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I'm a bit late to the party here but I recently got a subscription for GCN+. I didn't/don't use a vpn and so far I've watched a fair bit of live track cycling without problem. I assume we need one because RSA is blocked on some of the bigger races?

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

Hi All,

I'm a bit late to the party here but I recently got a subscription for GCN+. I didn't/don't use a vpn and so far I've watched a fair bit of live track cycling without problem. I assume we need one because RSA is blocked on some of the bigger races?

Correct, for example the Tour de France, Paris Roubaix, everything shown live on Super Sport basically. Giro d'Italia didn't need a vpn