5 Bikes Stolen

SLEASK

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

If my bikes lived in the house, I'd be the one living in the garage...

Nope- bikes eve have their own bedroom...

1 minute ago, dave303e said:

Oh, we have the space, the Chinese even keeps her spinning bike inside, but that's the limit for her. I already lost the battle on the dogs (they sleep inside, the one on our bed now) so I wont even go down the bikes inside route.

Also, I have insurance and the premium wont change if the bikes are in the garage or inside.

I had a similar system installed at at the company I work for, so far so good, receive an immediate notification when that line is crossed, this is after hours only.

Cameras are monitored by Security Company after hours as well. 

46 minutes ago, copperhead said:

The garage floor is okay with a good mattress. Wait till they break in and see me sleeping there. ????

The mattress will also be liberated...and your bedding....even the chamber pot....

As many have said before, am so sorry for your loss. Heidelberg is becoming difficult these days, and I hope insurance pays out. 

11 hours ago, Shebeen said:

that sucks big time. sorry to hear.

on the strava thing, it's possible. do you have the home exclusion zone setting activated? It blanks out an area of a radius around where you live, to stop this sort of thing.

Please teach me how? 

10 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Sorry for your loss. I hope your insurance pays out seeing as your alarm was not activated. They like to cling on to these types of facts as mitigation of risk. All you need to do is to replace the alarm's 12V battery to stop it from constantly going off when load shedding is around. The load on the battery runs low during the constant load shedding cycles and results in the battery having insufficient power when the power comes back on again and this somehow triggers the alarm. I had the same issue in 2019 and when I went to get a new battery I literally bought the last one, and while I was paying I had three guys try to buy if off me making stupid offers. I stuck to my guns and left with the battery. The lady at the counter told me they sold over 500 batteries in the preceding 3 days.

I did this, one of my life's better decisions. 

22 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Please teach me how? 

Setup

Privacy control 

Privacy zones.... now set a radius around your home.

YOUR map still shows full route.  Others dont see anything in the Privacy Zone

Others sees this "gap"...

EDIT - when you log in via a PC, not the app you can change the radius of the zone.

Worth noting it randomly places the zone off centre from your address ... play a few times until the zone gives you best privacy ????

Screenshot_20210524-195455_Strava.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

9 hours ago, Fork-it said:

So sorry for your loss. 

I experienced a similar misfortune earlier this year where two MTB's were taken from my garage in Centurion. Definitely specifically targeted the bikes. 

I have also since been battling with the question as to where all the stolen bikes go to. At this rate, every second commuter in our neighboring countries is riding a top-end bike.

Question: if so, how do you guys secure (lock) your bikes in the garage? 

I have a chain, which is coated in plastic. It runs from the wall (cemented hook) round each frame and rear wheel. goes back into the wall. 

I've travelled the neighbouring countries quite a bit, and despite some bikes being recovered there I personally haven't seen anyone in riding around with a Specialized Epic. Someone suggested stripping down groupsets and GPS units, which I believe. Also, we need to kill the market by not buying anything not properly vetted. ie, a chap walking up to someone and offering a Bolt for R1000 saying he has another. Rather walk away. 

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Setup

Privacy control 

Privacy zones.... now set a radius around your home.

YOUR map still shows full route.  Others dont see anything in the Privacy Zone

Others sees this "gap"...

Screenshot_20210524-195455_Strava.jpg.a28156de167355f38b93e34bc4fd29ac.jpg

Thanks, appreciated mate!

Not nice seeing scum like these creeping around your garden in the middle of the night man ???? Where are the bear traps when you need them?

15 hours ago, SLEASK said:

I had 5 bikes stolen from my house on 20/05/2021. By the sounds of it its the same car that has stolen numerous other bikes in our area (Heidelberg) the past few months. 

What struck me about this was as seen on the video there were 4/5 robbers coming into my property at once. That must probably show that they had a good idea I have a lot of bikes. I do not suspect anyone close to me to be involved. 

Another thing I noticed is that they were specifically looking for bicycles as there were other valuables in my garage which they have not taken. 

What I was wondering if they could've used Strava to get the info as I post a lot of pics of my bikes and my Strava was not marked as private.

The other thing I wondered is what actually happens to the bikes. My Cube AMS mountain bike is as far as I'm aware only 1 of 4 in SA. 

So how would they sell these unique bikes? Or strip for second hand bicycle parts? 

I have placed my bikes on the Stolen Bikes section. 

They have stolen the below bikes. Please be on the lookout. 

Cube AMS C68 Mountain Bike

Titan Team Carbon Hardtail

Cervelo P2 TT

Rocky Mountain Vertex Carbon 950RSL

Titan Hardtail Alu bike. 

Well these days the stolen bikes make it over the border into other countries and are sold there making it easy and quick for these criminals to sell them there, qndanother thing is most bike theft that have been happening lately are more organized meaning they were targeting or their victim for a specific bike.

Looking at the footage it seems like they knew.

15 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Sorry to hear about your losses, But on the Strava thing, a definite yes. It happened in the UK where a syndicate were stealing top end bikes and the 1 16yr old youngster was caught, He eventually gave in after being threatened with hard time in a normal prison and said that they had used Strava to watch people with high end bikes, then watched the houses for when the owners were not home.

I don't know if you know but not so long ago a warehouse or atleast a storage house was found with some high end stolem bikes here in SA and a truck was also caught while transporting bikes and later found out that they were stolem bikes.

4 hours ago, King Pluto said:

Well these days the stolen bikes make it over the border into other countries and are sold there making it easy and quick for these criminals to sell them there, qndanother thing is most bike theft that have been happening lately are more organized meaning they were targeting or their victim for a specific bike.

Looking at the footage it seems like they knew.

There is a bigger market here than over the border 

18 hours ago, dave303e said:

So do ours. Helps to have a cyclist wife