5 Bikes Stolen

SLEASK

Google yourself, and have a looksee what Information is readily available on the internet. 
If you ride habitually ( same time/date/ route) this makes it even easier to target.

Luckily, we have someone at home 90% of the time, also in a security complex with guards. ( not that this does not mean I cant be a victim of crime) 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Setup

Privacy control 

Privacy zones.... now set a radius around your home.

YOUR map still shows full route.  Others dont see anything in the Privacy Zone

Others sees this "gap"...

EDIT - when you log in via a PC, not the app you can change the radius of the zone.

Worth noting it randomly places the zone off centre from your address ... play a few times until the zone gives you best privacy ????

Screenshot_20210524-195455_Strava.jpg

I did this. Lost a KOM.

28 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Google yourself, and have a looksee what Information is readily available on the internet. 
If you ride habitually ( same time/date/ route) this makes it even easier to target.

Luckily, we have someone at home 90% of the time, also in a security complex with guards. ( not that this does not mean I cant be a victim of crime) 

I am kakking myself as personal details are on the charge sheet for the attempted murder - if that by mistake gets leaked etc.. Selling my house ASAP now!

55 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

google doesnt know I exist ???? Edit: used to though...

it's easier if you don't partake in any of the social media platforms though. I can however google specific bike models and parts and see my things pop up in images because of leHub here. But thats it. Even when i still used strava when you could still use the route mapper for free...I used it in total ghost mode for this exact reason. I dont even write bike models in apps. just bike 1/2/3 etc

Edited by MORNE

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

google doesnt know I exist ???? Edit: used to though...

it's easier if you don't partake in any of the social media platforms though. I can however google specific bike models and parts and see my things pop up in images because of leHub here. But thats it. Even when i still used strava when you could still use the route mapper for free...I used it in total ghost mode for this exact reason. I dont even write bike models in apps. just bike 1/2/3 etc

There are couple of hints of me existing due to some sports etc. But you really have to look. Agreed, social media exposes you.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:10 AM, Craai said:

Just a heads-up; be prepared for the Fu**'s to come back in a few weeks' time to come and see whether there is a nice insurance replacement to collect 

Been there done that, 20 yrs ago some twat stole my bikes out the garage. Spent many a night sitting up and sleeping at the dining room table (looked straight into our garage doors) but they never came back. He did get caught though, teenager with a drug habit who lived in the same estate.

2 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

I am kakking myself as personal details are on the charge sheet for the attempted murder - if that by mistake gets leaked etc.. Selling my house ASAP now!

When I Google "my names" I find myself all over the social media platforms .... except I am not even on half of those platforms ..... some distant nephew with the same names ....

So googling a person has its limitations ... :whistling:

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

When I Google "my names" I find myself all over the social media platforms .... except I am not even on half of those platforms ..... some distant nephew with the same names ....

I have one of those names that brings up alot of results. none of them are me.

10 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I have one of those names that brings up alot of results. none of them are me.

Mine usually brings up a famous person with the same name. Seems I was in Westworld.

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Setup

Privacy control 

Privacy zones.... now set a radius around your home.

YOUR map still shows full route.  Others dont see anything in the Privacy Zone

Others sees this "gap"...

EDIT - when you log in via a PC, not the app you can change the radius of the zone.

Worth noting it randomly places the zone off centre from your address ... play a few times until the zone gives you best privacy ????

Screenshot_20210524-195455_Strava.jpg

are we not going to play a game of guess where @ChrisF lives?

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

wait, are you really Chris Froome?

On 5/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, SLEASK said:

There is a passive in the garage but with the load shedding our alarm kept going off. So we did not activate our alarm. That was very stupid I know..

Please note that the alarm going off is as a result of your alarm battery being kaput. You will hear it as the power comes back on and alarms in your area start sounding you know that these batteries are also klaar.  Builders have them for about 300zar.

Problem solved for the next 6 months.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:30 AM, MORNE said:

to ad to this.....why I look at these part-hoarding sellers on here through skeptical eyes sometimes....

if you think about it....thats how car chopshops operate too. In a lot of cases...the frame is one of the cheaper parts on a bike....so if they steal bikes....dispose or recycle the frames or whatever...there still lots of monry to be had by selling off expensive groupsets, GPS's and wheels etc

During the recent Race2Sun we rode through one of the more dodgy areas - there was a pile of rubble with a fire smouldering so I looked and I'm convinced I saw a burnt TT Frame lying in the rubble - to a point where I wanted to stop and look but then realized it probably wouldn't have been a smart move.  I reckon a lot of the parts get stripped off because you can't ID them, and the frames just get tossed into a big bonfire.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:47 AM, Pure Savage said:

Docket has probably already "gone missing" and in it's place is a empty streetwise 2 cardboard box.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

2 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Docket has probably already "gone missing" and in it's place is a empty streetwise 2 cardboard box.

The gentleman handling that case at the station have been great.