New Giant Anthem Prototype

CraigT48

defaulting to lock out can be changed internally. The newer forks and rear shocks default to open.

Rosk Shox had those horrible Poploc and full sprint hydraulic remotes that required constant bleeding. They went back to cable remote systems.

Service  Rock Shox and fox regularly and they will give you years of service. Don't service them and both brands will deliver their on unique set of headaches

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Broodryk said:

Fox chose to make their newer suspension's default mode in a locked position, meaning that you have to push to unlock. They claim that it makes the lever easier to push

1 hour ago, AllTerrain said:

Okay, so you are referring specifically to the remote lockout failing. I’m with you now. Sorry, blame it on lack of sleep 

who even locks out their shock!

5 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

who even locks out their shock!

Dirt roadies….obviously

38 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

like this....

That is a insanely cool bike…. If budget was no object, I would not mind one, but I think a RS1 fork would really make this bike a one bike for all conditions. (Guess SL sids with the carbon crown could also work, but wouldn’t look as cool)

3 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I wasn't aware the suspension and pivots form part of the paintwork. My mistake ????

Sorry I did not read properly

I'm throwing it back to page 1 and 2 BUT...... Does an XCO race bike need 2 bottles?

No. Bear in mind it's pretty much only SA where 100mm race bikes are ridden as every day all day trail bikes.

The rest of the world actually ride trail bikes.

We are also one of the only places where marathon races exist in abundance. Most other places race XCO, so again, does the majority of the world NEED an out and out race bike with 2 bottle cages?

No. 

SA is a very different beast, from our climate to our lack of uplift, to the strange bike choices and riding attitude to our abundance of space for marathons etc..... We are the exception and realistically not too many bike brands take the 'exceptions' into account, especially when they are a small market, like we are.

So IMHO, which is incredibly humble and not all knowing, a race bike that is usually ridden on an xco race track with seconds and for race simulation and training, MOST people in the world don't need to bottles in the triangle

22 hours ago, AllTerrain said:

wasn’t it pat morewood a while back that asked, “do you want two water bottles, or do you want suspension that actually works”

What is with the obsession with dual bottle cages? On a 30-40km ride, generally one is more than enough, even in the height of summer, and you can normally fill up at spots along the way. At a race, there are water points every 20 odd km anyway, which I always thought was total overkill, and if you are venturing off on an unsupported marathon ride, your gonna take a backpack anyway, so then use a hydration bladder. You can also fit dual bottle cages to the seat post, or there are options for top tube or handlebar bottle cages also, if you really can’t go without. On a MTB, even one meant for ultra marathon work, I would rather have proper suspension 

Wasn’t it Pat Morewood who put 2 mounts in his last 2 XC bikes ? Ride down here and 40km is 800m of climbing - some of us are sweaty and some are camels 

I need 2 bottles 

8 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm throwing it back to page 1 and 2 BUT...... Does an XCO race bike need 2 bottles?

No. Bear in mind it's pretty much only SA where 100mm race bikes are ridden as every day all day trail bikes.

The rest of the world actually ride trail bikes.

We are also one of the only places where marathon races exist in abundance. Most other places race XCO, so again, does the majority of the world NEED an out and out race bike with 2 bottle cages?

No. 

SA is a very different beast, from our climate to our lack of uplift, to the strange bike choices and riding attitude to our abundance of space for marathons etc..... We are the exception and realistically not too many bike brands take the 'exceptions' into account, especially when they are a small market, like we are.

So IMHO, which is incredibly humble and not all knowing, a race bike that is usually ridden on an xco race track with seconds and for race simulation and training, MOST people in the world don't need to bottles in the triangle

100 percent except we actually are in SA and we have loads of space and it gets hot 

But you have a choice if you aren’t a camel, you just find a bike with 2 mounts 

personally I always ride with 2 bottles no matter how short - one with water and one with secret sauce 

So back on point.

This Anthem is a Racing XCO bike, and it is very clear about that. Not an Marathon Race Bike.

It has a place for one full water bottle, and that is all it needs to have.

Now why complain about that, why not also go after DH bikes for not having two water bottles because X, Y, Z.

Track bikes, for goodness sake, they have roadie wheels and NO water bottles .... sacrilege!

Edited by Hairy on a Davidson

The 1 water bottle issue is a real problem. About 0.00000000001% of Anthems get raced on XCO tracks - the rest get used as fun training bikes for several hours. That needs 2 water bottles or a Camelback.

Personally I would never buy a training, racing, XCM bike with only 1 bottle water mount.

11 minutes ago, Eldron said:

The 1 water bottle issue is a real problem. About 0.00000000001% of Anthems get raced on XCO tracks - the rest get used as fun training bikes for several hours. That needs 2 water bottles or a Camelback.

Personally I would never buy a training, racing, XCM bike with only 1 bottle water mount.

But I am sure a trail or "down country" bike is a better fun training bike for the 99.99999999999% of riding people do?

3 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Wasn’t it Pat Morewood who put 2 mounts in his last 2 XC bikes ? Ride down here and 40km is 800m of climbing - some of us are sweaty and some are camels 

I need 2 bottles 

Yeah did  a 11km ride that was 350m+-climb, but was on a enduro bike so had the Camle on my back xD 

1 minute ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

But I am sure a trail or "down country" bike is a better fun training bike for the 99.99999999999% of riding people do?

But this is South Africa. Even tough we have miles and miles I’d terribly maintained gravel roads, immense expanses of mountainous country side, forestry areas and so on, with some great jeep tracks and old wagon trails and and and, and a couple of pretty amazing trail Centres all over the country. Trail bikes don’t sell. Down country (I really hate that term, can we just call them what they are they are still XC bikes, just better suited to joe average) bikes sell a little better but only slightly so. Your only a real cyclist if you ride a super compromised XC race machine, and keep trying to convince yourself you really have no interest in riding the technical lines at the bike park, because you enjoy just being out there riding, and you that it’s normal to be that sore and uncomfortable after a 100km ride, because the suffering is half the fun, or something like that. 

we like to suffer here. It’s started in the time of the great trek, and it seems to continue into choosing mountain bikes now. I mean why would you willingly cross the drakensberg, barefoot, with oxwagon in the grips of winter? Why didn’t they just make some simple shoes in preparation for the journey. (Before I upset someone, ek is n trotse Afrikaner, maar ons volk, het nogals n ding vir sukkel uit kuese uit, maar die rooinekke is ook so). 

I mean the same guy that kits his Bakkie out with every off-road upgrade under the sun, longer travel shocks, fat tires etc , which are mostly not needed, because it stays mostly on the road, will willingly by the least “capable” mountain bike, and insist on having the minimal amount of suspension, and the lightest duty tire possible…. Strange world