Jump to content

Greetings from Noob - Advice needed


NoobBiker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys

Hope you are well.

I am a newb in the world of biking, as such I am reaching out for some advice on a starter bike, firstly I weigh about 82kg and height around 1.75m.

  1. Speed of the bike ? I see a lot of silverbacks online but speeds range from 8 upwards vs other bikes 2 x 9 (for example), as newb should I worry about the speed ?
  2. Hydraulic brakes, is this important to have ?
  3. Size I am quite I am a medium
  4. Please recommend some good cycle shops around the fourways/centurion/midrand areas ?

The last time I had a Bike was when I was in my teens, much has changed since then.

Maybe I missed a few other key areas, but I guess that comes with learning

 

Thanks 

Edited by NoobBiker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome. Was in the same position as you last year, and there's too much content to go through in one post, but my advice would be to find a local bike store and talk to a salesman. If that's the area you're going to ride in, then they will know what sort of trails you'd be riding most often, as well as the type of bike you'd need for them. However, do as much research as possible before making a purchase, so you know what you're in for before being taken for a ride. Bikes come in all shapes and sizes nowadays, and one bike might be suitable for one trail, but not the next.

I managed to buy something 2nd hand for a good price, rode it for a year, learnt the ins and outs of the bike in question, and what it's capabilities were, and then when I knew exactly what I wanted (needed), took the plunge and bought new. The new bike now ticks all the boxes, and is a massive upgrade to what I was riding. It took me a year to figure out though how much travel in the suspension I needed, what sort of tyres work where, and whether I would be more interested in trail or enduro riding as opposed to cross country. There are tons of bikes in the 2nd hand market at the moment, so i'd probably start here once you have an idea of what sort of riding you want to do.

Good luck mate. So much to learn, but be prepared for a shedload of fun once you do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rage at the moment is 1 x 12 speed. Personally, I don't think that this is for everyone as it limits your range. As a beginner, I don't think the number of gears is make or break. 

On a mtb, hydraulic brakes make a huge difference. V brakes (rim brakes) are also pretty fine, but mechanical discs are rubbish. If you buy a bike with mechanical discs, your first upgrade would be hydraulic. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Eugene said:

The rage at the moment is 1 x 12 speed. Personally, I don't think that this is for everyone as it limits your range. As a beginner, I don't think the number of gears is make or break. 

On a mtb, hydraulic brakes make a huge difference. V brakes (rim brakes) are also pretty fine, but mechanical discs are rubbish. If you buy a bike with mechanical discs, your first upgrade would be hydraulic. 

 

Did I read that right, you say that v-brakes are better than mechanical disc brakes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Did I read that right, you say that v-brakes are better than mechanical disc brakes?

Who remembers mud, water, and v-brakes. Did not play well.

I'll definitely take mechanical discs over v-brakes any day of the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

Who remembers mud, water, and v-brakes. Did not play well.

I'll definitely take mechanical discs over v-brakes any day of the week.

Exactly the reason  for my question. Even proper dusty trails like we have in Gauteng now I would not want to attempt with rim brakes. I would not dare do Hennops with rim brakes but have done it with mechanical discs without issue.

1 x 12 is not a requirement but it looks neater, has less moving parts and makes getting to the correct gear exponentially easier. On a cheaper or older bike you might still find a 3 x 7 (21 speed). While this sounds like you have 21 gears you only have around 11 distinct gears if the duplicates are ignored. For clarity the 1st number refers to the number of chain rings on the front and the 2nd number to the number of rings at the back. I run a 1 x 9 setup which is a little limiting but still works great.

You don't need hydraulic brakes but you do need disc brakes ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, went out yesterday and got a Giant Talon 2 in medium, totally different bike from my first two choices, first time on a bike after 20 years, must say that my first upgrade would be the saddle because my rear just could not get comfortable 🤣. Not to mention I am seriously unfit and was out breadth after one lap around the complex

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NoobBiker said:

Thanks guys, went out yesterday and got a Giant Talon 2 in medium, totally different bike from my first two choices, first time on a bike after 20 years, must say that my first upgrade would be the saddle because my rear just could not get comfortable 🤣. Not to mention I am seriously unfit and was out breadth after one lap around the complex

I would just recommend that you make sure that it is the saddle which is the problem and not the part of getting used to cycling again. I have replaced saddles in the past as well but I have realized that the foundation is more susceptible to light injuries after not riding for a while. Padded pants can also play a huge role.

 

Anyway enjoy it and keep the tires facing down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gerhard765 said:

I would just recommend that you make sure that it is the saddle which is the problem and not the part of getting used to cycling again. I have replaced saddles in the past as well but I have realized that the foundation is more susceptible to light injuries after not riding for a while. Padded pants can also play a huge role.

 

Anyway enjoy it and keep the tires facing down.

Thanks for the advice will give it a month at least and see what the feeling is like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JacBrand said:

Great! Enjoy the bike

Before buying a new saddle, play with the tilt. A few degrees up or down can make a huge difference.

Awesome I will definitely try this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Did I read that right, you say that v-brakes are better than mechanical disc brakes?

We need Johan Bornman back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JacBrand said:

Great! Enjoy the bike

Before buying a new saddle, play with the tilt. A few degrees up or down can make a huge difference.

Also invest in a good bib/shorts before you spend on a saddle.  It take a while for your arse to get use to a saddle anyway, so endure a bit and see how it goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheoG said:

Also invest in a good bib/shorts before you spend on a saddle.  It take a while for your arse to get use to a saddle anyway, so endure a bit and see how it goes.

Thank you TheoG, well put! Found some gel shorts on takealot, sort of looks like a Baboons rear. Might try that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, Rolf Hansen said:

Did I read that right, you say that v-brakes are better than mechanical disc brakes?

Yes you did and I stand by my comment. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout