Pure Savage

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Entered! Number 5 here I come.

Number 13 for my wife and possible number 14 for the father in law should he start training again.

(LWB, please don't come destroy our humble numbers with your over achieving tendencies)

LOL sorry with those numbers I can't hey. You add them up and you beat me by 1????

So this is how they are going to reign in the e-bikes in 2022:

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/race-entry-terms-and-conditions/

"3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified."

So I guess the this year's fastest e-(motor?)-bike time of 2hr 38min 26sec will stand as the record forever?

2 minutes ago, i24 said:

"3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified."

So I guess the this year's fastest e-(motor?)-bike time of 2hr 38min 26sec will stand as the record forever?

Easy to put rules in place, not so easy to enforce. I wonder how they will enforce this ? With the latest e-bikes being very difficult to distinguish from a normal bike they may need to invest in some technology to identify them.

Also wonder how they determined the time limit ? 

E-bikes have to be entered into a different category, so Race Tec just have to DQ any rider who's time is too fast. Just a few lines of program code.

The rules also state:

3.3. Should a rider wish to partake in the Cycle Tour by using an e-bike, such rider must select the E-bike category when completing the online entry for the Cycle Tour.
3.4. If the rider failed to register in the E-bike category, he/she will not be allowed to partake in the Cycle Tour.
3.5. Any person riding an e-bike on the Cycle Tour that has not formally entered as an E-Bike participant shall be disqualified from this and future Cycle Tours.

3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);
3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;

Gate marshals will have to police that e-bikes are not entered as normal bikes, not too difficult.

If this was applied to this years ride, the first 40 out of the 204 e-bike finishers would have been disqualified, that's 20% of the field. How easy it is to beat 3hr50 (28.5 km/h) on an e-bike that cuts the power off above 25km/h? I think there was some cheating in this years event...

37 minutes ago, i24 said:

That e-biker clearly rode a motorbike in the event since it recorded an average speed in excess of 28.4km/hr.

Does anyone know what the legal speed limit is in SA for an e-bike before it is classified as a scooter or motorcycle?

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That e-biker clearly rode a motorbike in the event since it recorded an average speed in excess of 28.4km/hr.

Does anyone know what the legal speed limit is in SA for an e-bike before it is classified as a scooter or motorcycle?

I dont know e-bikes well enough, but surely power assist up the hills at 25km/h, down the other side they have the weight to get higher speeds, flats etc. they join bunches and can move along in excess of 30km/h.

I'm not saying there was no cheating involved, just that in my mind its possible to avg faster than 28 in that race on an e-bike.

25 minutes ago, i24 said:

E-bikes have to be entered into a different category, so Race Tec just have to DQ any rider who's time is too fast. Just a few lines of program code.

The rules also state:

3.3. Should a rider wish to partake in the Cycle Tour by using an e-bike, such rider must select the E-bike category when completing the online entry for the Cycle Tour.
3.4. If the rider failed to register in the E-bike category, he/she will not be allowed to partake in the Cycle Tour.
3.5. Any person riding an e-bike on the Cycle Tour that has not formally entered as an E-Bike participant shall be disqualified from this and future Cycle Tours.

3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);
3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;

Gate marshals will have to police that e-bikes are not entered as normal bikes, not too difficult.

If this was applied to this years ride, the first 40 out of the 204 e-bike finishers would have been disqualified, that's 20% of the field. How easy it is to beat 3hr50 (28.5 km/h) on an e-bike that cuts the power off above 25km/h? I think there was some cheating in this years event...

this relies on the e-bike user to be honest or the oom and tannie at the chutes to know what to look for

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

i think the motor may have a speed limit but you can still pedal at higher speeds. 

Sit in the bunch on the flats in eco mode and hammer the climbs in turbo mode

56 minutes ago, ouzo said:

this relies on the e-bike user to be honest or the oom and tannie at the chutes to know what to look for

im getting me one of these....think oom and tannie gonna catch me 

"nee oom,  daardie hub is 'n powermeter"

2020-cannondale-supersix-evo-neo.jpg

2021-bianchi-aria-e-road.jpg

2021-orbea-gain-d40.jpg

cento1hybridga7.jpg

colnago-e64-nera-background_1.jpg

ribbleenduranceslehero1.jpg

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

Easy to put rules in place, not so easy to enforce. I wonder how they will enforce this ? With the latest e-bikes being very difficult to distinguish from a normal bike they may need to invest in some technology to identify them.

Also wonder how they determined the time limit ? 

Different colour board when you register .... any ebikes with "normal boards" will stand out.

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

There is a SANS code that limits ebikes to 250W and maximum assist speed of 25km/h, direct copy of the typical European regulations.  Faster assist speed, or stronger motor, and it is an "electric scooter" and must be registered and licensed like a motorcycle.

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

This year the tannies in the chute couldn't even enforce people starting in their correct groups. Before e-bikes were officially allowed there were a number of e-bikes starting anyway. No way rules around ebikes are going to be enforced consistently, we just got to get used to them doing the CTCT and hope the majority of them are nice enough to stick to the rules.

20 hours ago, Skubarra said:

This year the tannies in the chute couldn't even enforce people starting in their correct groups. Before e-bikes were officially allowed there were a number of e-bikes starting anyway. No way rules around ebikes are going to be enforced consistently, we just got to get used to them doing the CTCT and hope the majority of them are nice enough to stick to the rules.

If you ride an e-bike with a non e-bike entry board, someone will notice, and if you finish too close to front of group they will likely complain. If that gets confirmed in a subsequent investigation you will be facing a potential life ban from the CTCT.

If you ride an unrestricted e-bike and go too fast you will finish under the minimum time limit and get disqualified.

If you are capable of getting around in under 4 hours on an e-bike that is regulated at 25km/h, then you should be capable of riding the tour on normal bike.

The only problem area left is an e-bike rider assisting a non e-bike participant. But if e-bikes are seeded from the 4 hours groups backwards - behind the racing snakes, this is less likely to be a problem.

There will always be people who cheat but I think the organisers have most of the bases covered.

entered...as well as the better half and two of her friends who haven't done any cycling in 2 years. 

Which of course means ill most probably be riding from 6F+ in the #partypace groups....

still looking forward to it though...always fun.