Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

22 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Hehe, yeah up until now I have rarely had an issue getting into the racing groups, its still being in the racing group by the time I go past Scarborough that has been the bigger issue the past few years

It's a bloody shame that the less time you have, the longer things (like the CTCT) take................????

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, ouzo said:

I also came close to skipping breakfast on Sunday when the milk came out of the microwave ice cold, not once but twice. 
not the best time to find out the microwave makes all the right noises but does not have nuclear power. :)

Some useless information. I once had a microwave that made light, sound and rotation but sometimes made things hot and other times not. Eventually I discovered that the municipal supply voltage was dodgy, at times the voltage got so low the microwave stopped working (< 180V). Eventually the municipality upgraded the substation and the microwave worked perfectly again! So maybe your problem is related to load shedding ????

But what I actually want to know is WHEN DO ENTRIES OPEN? (I hope they not closed already or sold out).

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

No luck needed. Buy a CSA racing license (30-39, 40-49, you get the point) and you can ride/race with them irrespective of your seeding. But woe betide that man that follows this. Vets racing is hard

Racing licenses are only for the elites, and they don't ask for you to provide it prior to already seeding you into $.

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

No luck needed. Buy a CSA racing license (30-39, 40-49, you get the point) and you can ride/race with them irrespective of your seeding. But woe betide that man that follows this. Vets racing is hard

by the looks of things, looks like 1A's pace was pretty good last weekend as well ! Some of them even ranking up higher than the mid field $ !

4 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Lots of misinformation on cramping and nutrition bubbling up in this thread... ????

so business as usual then ....

Please do provide some more accurate feedback. :thumbup:

49 minutes ago, i24 said:

Some useless information. I once had a microwave that made light, sound and rotation but sometimes made things hot and other times not. Eventually I discovered that the municipal supply voltage was dodgy, at times the voltage got so low the microwave stopped working (< 180V). Eventually the municipality upgraded the substation and the microwave worked perfectly again! So maybe your problem is related to load shedding ????

But what I actually want to know is WHEN DO ENTRIES OPEN? (I hope they not closed already or sold out).

Anything is possible.

But since it was not my microwave in my house I am not able to re-test.

56 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

so business as usual then ....

Please do provide some more accurate feedback. :thumbup:

Cramping is complicated, with some having a predisposition to it that others don't. It's a genetic luck of the draw.
Why does a predisposed person cramp on a ride? Going harder for longer than the body has been condition to perform at. You can come off of 12 weeks of 15+ hours and cramp on a 3 hour ride if the intensity is higher than what you are conditioned for.

Nutrition is simple. You need carbs. Even when ingesting at the optimal rate you are running an energy deficit when you are pushing yourself. If you are taking in less carbs than optimal then you are limiting the duration you can go for. If your race is short enough it will be fine, since you started with glycogen stores to see you through, but you compromised your recovery. If you have ample fat stores and keep your HR below 50% of max, then sure, you don't need carbs while riding (or for the next week after riding), just water will be fine. 

Edited by bleedToWin

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

by the looks of things, looks like 1A's pace was pretty good last weekend as well ! Some of them even ranking up higher than the mid field $ !

some serious okes pitched up in 1A apparently...

(even heard savage pinched his tube as he went sailing out the back)

4 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Cramping is complicated, with some having a predisposition to it that others don't. It's a genetic luck of the draw.
Why does a predisposed person cramp on a ride? Going harder for longer than the body has been condition to perform at. You can come off of 12 weeks of 15+ hours and cramp on a 3 hour ride if the intensity is higher than what you are conditioned for.

Nutrition is simple. You need carbs. Even when ingesting at the optimal rate you are running an energy deficit when you are pushing yourself. If you are taking in less carbs than optimal then you are limiting the duration you can go for. If your race is short enough it will be fine, since you started with glycogen stores to see you through, but you compromised your recovery. If you have ample fat stores and keep your HR below 50% of max, then sure, you don't need carbs while riding (or for the next week after riding), just water will be fine. 

yet you can also cramp from drinking too much water and or too little salt. It is a lot more complicated than just this. 

There is a reason you get fed orange slices with salt on them at some endurance events ????

PS: that said, i'm not a high performance athlete. but i've learned what works for me. And it's defo not 100% processed carb goo.  And then people chomp down on salt pills/ Slowmag too. I did none of that this year. No pills, no gels. some pasta the night before, winegums (carbs) and a few biltong slices (salt) on the day. Works great for me and dosnt taste like **** either lol 

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, babse said:

some serious okes pitched up in 1A apparently...

(even heard savage pinched his tube as he went sailing out the back)

Tell me about it! Mandela blvd looked like footage from the apollo11 moon mission  …bits falling off the back all the way 

26 minutes ago, MORNE said:

yet you can also cramp from drinking too much water and or too little salt. It is a lot more complicated than just this. 

There is a reason you get fed orange slices with salt on them at some endurance events ????

It's a very common misconception, and the reason you get fed orange slices with salt is because the misconception is so very common...

Electrolytes are important, but have very little to do with why you cramp. At least if you care about what can be verified scientifically.

image.png.984d8e9777d356b05746962714ac3fb9.png

image.png.ab56e382596f06672632cc21d246334e.png

image.png.d0b3de78230884c407d20d53dff992bd.png

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

It's a very common misconception, and the reason you get fed orange slices with salt is because the misconception is so very common...

Electrolytes are important, but have very little to do with why you cramp. At least if you care about what can be verified scientifically.

More likely is that cramping is related to overexertion during exercise

18 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

@buchanan is that you? lol (chit, didnt mean to summon you, please forgive me)

anyway meh.  There are as many opinions about nutrition as there are 'nutritionist' on this planet lol. It is a very convoluted and opinionated field, it is arguably one of the messiest fields (scientifically) in existence - why there is a new fad diet every second day. Copy pasting something from google means nothing..I can google something to countert that too...thats how useless it is. They are like a$$holes as we say. 

I'm trying salted liquorice next. The dutch know something about cycling...maybe their sweets hold the key haha

Edited by MORNE