Spectator Training is...required.

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes and no i think. this is a bigger problem than just 'spectating'. Just look out (or into) car windows this morning and see how many people are experiencing life through a 8" screen lol.  Go look at any concert video of your choice on youtube from the late 90's or early 2000's (JUST before smartphones went mainstream) to see what it was like to still experience something in person. then go watch a modern one like post 2012. We live our lives in the third person though the internet..it is hilariously tragic. This crash happened most probably because of this exact reason. Cant just watch and take in the experience...need to take a video or picture so i can go look at it later....

The other day I was waiting somewhere on a bench and just sat and watched people.

We are truly in the zombie-apocalypse-matrix.   

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

yes and no i think. this is a bigger problem than just 'spectating'. Just look out (or into) car windows this morning and see how many people are experiencing life through a 8" screen lol.  Go look at any concert video of your choice on youtube from the late 90's or early 2000's (JUST before smartphones went mainstream) to see what it was like to still experience something in person. then go watch a modern one like post 2012. We live our lives in the third person though the internet..it is hilariously tragic. This crash happened most probably because of this exact reason. Cant just watch and take in the experience...need to take a video or picture so i can go look at it later....

The other day I was waiting somewhere on a bench and just sat and watched people.

Every once in a while I'll pop to my local coffee shop for breakfast just for some variety (home office bleh), and I sit there without my phone and look at people; it is quite shocking to see the Matrix was more than just a movie...

Edited by gemmerbal

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

She didn't even look like a spectator, more like she was busy on the phone and just walking with no idea what's going on around her. 

but that's what we see on the roads/streets everyday, and more often than not the moron is behind the wheel of a car.

9 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

but that's what we see on the roads/streets everyday, and more often than not the moron is behind the wheel of a car.

Definitely and I wish we could get rid of them all but it won't happen in the world we live in right now unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Definitely and I wish we could get rid of them all but it won't happen in the world we live in right now unfortunately 

jip. I choose to be Neo though, not Mr Andersen. ;)

It has to be said that in this case a good dose of marshalling would have helped as well. You can't just run over the Cape Epic or CTCT finish line area, it is fenced off and marshalled properly. Even at the Spur Schools League Final there was a bridge in place to take riders over the flow of feet. 

4 minutes ago, Positive Sports Solutions 01 said:

It has to be said that in this case a good dose of marshalling would have helped as well. You can't just run over the Cape Epic or CTCT finish line area, it is fenced off and marshalled properly. Even at the Spur Schools League Final there was a bridge in place to take riders over the flow of feet. 

probably, but common sense shouldn't require policing.

The organisers need to be held to account for the safety of riders by proper marshalling, crowd control and the erection of barriers at strategic places - especially in finish areas or areas of high crowd numbers. The lady, in question, seemed to forget the first rule of the road AND was seemingly unaware for the screaming/shouting of the crowds with the winner approaching the finish line.

Not thinking correctly and not remaining mindful of the current situation (being distracted) is the reason for many, MANY accidents / disasters!

So many of these accidents (not in this case) are also attributable to some moron trying desperately to get his moment of fame on TV - so that he can boast to his friends/family. Take the TDF as evidence...

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Pre-Covid we are at a school concert, and the number of parents holding up their phones recording most of the concert .... and watching the concert through their phones was staggering.

Sit back, and watch and absorb the concert people.

Furthermore...if you really want a recording of the concert, the school sells a professionally recorded version for a give away price.

19 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Pre-Covid we are at a school concert, and the number of parents holding up their phones recording most of the concert .... and watching the concert through their phones was staggering.

Sit back, and watch and absorb the concert people.

Furthermore...if you really want a recording of the concert, the school sells a professionally recorded version for a give away price.

ya but if mom catches dad not recording the little precious performance dad is sleeping in the dog s kennel. 

Sometimes the dogs kennel is just the better place