Lower back surgery and spinal fusion ???

johnson

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a L5/S1 fusion in 2012. Made no difference to my life. I only started riding in 2017 but no adverse effects.

I do however err on the side of caution when riding very technical stuff and will rather walk. For the same reason I ride with flat pedals.

I have had three procedures all being the laminectomy and discectomy - no spinal fusions. First one on 1994 between L5 and S1, second in 2008 between L4 and L5 (right side) and the third in 2013 also between L4 and L5 but on the left side.  All three instances resulting in excruciation referred leg pain owing to the sciatic nerve being pinched. All three procedures where successful....I just have a generic disc degeneration, which extends up into my neck. Critical to follow the recovery procedure and exercises spelled out by the physio and pretty much do nothing strenuous for the first 6 weeks, limit the amount of sitting, so I would basically stand or lie down.  To date, I cannot complain about life afterwards, but I do take general caution.

Had L4, 5 and S1 fusion and decompression done in 2001 at age 34.

For me, the most important part was the first 3 months after the operation with only standing, walking and lying, no sitting and did not get in a car at all.  Wore the brace permanently.

Since then, not many worries, but avoid lifting heavy stuff.  Still need to work on core.

I only started cycling some years ago and had no problems - have done 36One (long time on bike) to Tankwa Trek (bit rougher) to 200km Audax rides on roadbike - no back issues at all.

Life went on pretty normal, still need to see how it catches up when we get older.

If it is inevitable to have the procedure done, make sure you have a decent surgeon...

Good Luck

I am so happy I found this Thread. Had a Spinal Fusion L5 S1 in February this year, at the Spinal Clinic in PTA. . It's sore as hell the first couple of weeks. I couldn't do anything on my own. Was stupid and started playing golf again ( not allowed to run anymore, and getting frustrated to just sit and walk), then my back started acting up again, and I got immense pain whenever I bent forward or standing up from my couch. So I stopped my golf immediately, (as you will see I am selling my brand new golf shoes on here????.). Will go back riding again. But i will stay on the road bike. Think its a bit better for your back than a MTB.

So i am a bit un-decided on which road bike to get. a Aero bike or a light weight bike? Was hoping one of you guys ride with either one and could shed some light.????

Edited by Lexx

I have not gone the surgical route. The surgeon told me back in 2014 or maybe 2016 that a fuzion was my only option. (I saw quite a few surgeons) I had a herniated disc in my lower back L4 & L5. I had chronic back pain for more than 2 years. I could not get out of bed without having to first crawl and then slowly push against the wall. This went on for 4 years on and off. I went to a few chiropractors, physios, GPs for a drip (a few times), a couple of neurosurgeons and then I found something spectacular. Full disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with them and they do not pay me a rebate or finders fee to make this statement: after two sessions with Hans I had no more back pain. Yes, I have had relapses and yes I've had to take some pain medication but every time this happens I only have myself to blame. I get lazy and stop doing yoga and other stretching exercises and then my back gets stiff again. The beauty however of my decision is that I keep myself honest, if my back hurts its because I am lazy, not because someone took a scalpel and cut into my flesh. It is all on me????. 

The people I found when my only other option was surgery with a 6-8 week recovery in bed is: https://www.stretchingsa.co.za/

Good luck and whatever you decide always remember that it remains your choice. 

PS: I have since done - 5 x Transbaviaans and a C2T (on my single speed) since

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Added some boastful achievements - hehe

I endured the pain for 6 months, along with money wasted on physio and a chiropractor before going under the knife or eating more painkillers to upset some other body part. Had a good surgeon, pain relief after surgery was immediate, aside the new cut from the surgery.

Started cycling MTB late in 2013 after the 3rd op, since this pandemic started I  have mainly been on the road bike.

Keeping your core strong and weight off the belly goes along way to ease the burden carried by your lower back!

Get the correct size bike and a fit too, all to help with posture.

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

I am so happy I found this Thread. Had a Spinal Fusion L5 S1 in February this year, at the Spinal Clinic in PTA. . It's sore as hell the first couple of weeks. I couldn't do anything on my own. Was stupid and started playing golf again ( not allowed to run anymore, and getting frustrated to just sit and walk), then my back started acting up again, and I got immense pain whenever I bent forward or standing up from my couch. So I stopped my golf immediately, (as you will see I am selling my brand new golf shoes on here????.). Will go back riding again. But i will stay on the road bike. Think its a bit better for your back than a MTB.

So i am a bit un-decided on which road bike to get. a Aero bike or a light weight bike? Was hoping one of you guys ride with either one and could shed some light.????

I believe you should be looking at a bike with "compliance" or in other words an endurance bike. Forget the stiff robot to robot racer...

I bought a Lapierre Xelius a bunch of years ago and it fits the bill for my older bod!

5 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

I believe you should be looking at a bike with "compliance" or in other words an endurance bike. Forget the stiff robot to robot racer...

I bought a Lapierre Xelius a bunch of years ago and it fits the bill for my older bod!

Will Definitely have a look at those bikes.  

That is good advice from robby.

I only started cycling after my fusion (against doctors orders) 

Originally on an old mtb on the road for the compliance mentioned (we talking back in 1996)

Now on a dual sus and a Spez Roubaix on the road (has the Future Shock) 

Whatever you do - add a daily stretch routine and keep the core strong at all times.

Good luck.

I have a Spez Epic (XC), Evil Offering (Trail) and Bianchi Oltre Xr3 (Roadie), and funny enough most comfy on the the roadie, probably because it is compliant offering no give in the frame to vary the height of the saddle to BB…??

5 hours ago, johnson said:

There is a possibility of this procedure happening in my not to distant future.

Who has had this done and how is life afterwards ?

Don't do it. Go for a second opinion. 

You're screwed once you've gone that route

Had bits of my disc broken so had to be opened up. L5 S1 region as well.

I was in so much pain at the the time it seemed like the only option. Nerve was blue from being impacted. This was 4 years ago. Today, I still have issues. Some days good with zero discomfort others where I really feel my back. I still ride but won't take the HT off road. Still hit the odd jump but generally I've eased off. 

12 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Had bits of my disc broken so had to be opened up. L5 S1 region as well.

I was in so much pain at the the time it seemed like the only option. Nerve was blue from being impacted. This was 4 years ago. Today, I still have issues. Some days good with zero discomfort others where I really feel my back. I still ride but won't take the HT off road. Still hit the odd jump but generally I've eased off. 

Mine was exactly the same. The 2 little bones that hold my disk in place broke off completely. I guess it was overuse because of my trail running and i have Spondylolisthesis. ????. Whenever its cold in the mornings, i can really feel my back. But, i found that a hot water bag works wonders for my sore back..

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

Lightweight and rim brake, naturally. 

22 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Lightweight and rim brake, naturally. 

I Like the Cabal Accent 1. Looks awesome and fast