Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

13 hours ago, milky4130 said:

From the armchair critic: I know it's only stage 1 but I dont feel confident in Pogacars performance today, he may survive Giro but come the Tour we may see a new winner. A fresh Pogacar these guys will not hang on his wheel when he attacks up a climb, if they do he almost always will take the sprint, yeah I know he got no assistance after the descent so naturally wouldn't have the bite for sprint. I just feel he is carrying lots of fatigue from the all the 2024 races thus far.

I’m not a fan of the Pog and don’t look forward to him dominating the grand tours this year, so in some way I hope you are right.

Instead of fatigue I suspect was riding smart as it’s only the first day of the first GT (of a potential 3 GT’s) plus as a GT general classification dominator….. he’s not supposed to win sprints.

Well done to Jhonatan Narváez

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pog has tweaked his prep, the team will not allow their investment to start any GT on a fatigue level. Getting out sprinted is no room for concern. But this Giro has plenty of individual advantages were riders that can cycle smart, not hard will be rewarded. I just hope the weather plays fair. We are in for some rough days guys. As you were. Pedal on.😜

3 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

2024:
4 races - 1 was a stage race.
11 race days in total
Where is all the racing and fatigue coming from? 

All super human performances. Must be all the carbs 🤪

5 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

2024:
11 race days in total

3 monuments in which he went deep and he didn’t hold back either in that stage race. As I said I’m just an armchair critic, we normally have no clue, you would know better so what do you think of that performance of stage1, he definitely wanted to win it. Not taking the Pink Jersey was probably a blessing for the team mates that did the pacing all day.

I think the reason Pogi couldn't shake the other riders as easily as expected was that the stage was just to short and easy up to that point. The winning time was only 3 hours 14 minutes and the other riders were not too fatigued. Pog is able to go deep on a long stage and then still put in those massive attacks and then no one can follow him. Somehow his physiology enables him to generate such high power even after several hours of effort. Either way, I wouldn't read too much into him not being able to shake the other riders yet.

55 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

3 monuments in which he went deep and he didn’t hold back either in that stage race.

Only 2 monuments… MSR and LBL. Strade Bianche isn’t a monument.

MSR would have been a long, low intensity, ride before the final few full gas efforts. 

On 5/4/2024 at 2:08 PM, Vetplant said:

Supersport is currently broadcasting on 206... 

Some negotiations must have been successful 

We need to check from Thursday onwards, when Tour of Hungary starts..

Giro seems to disappear again

Is Pogacar running with hookless rims, that puncture incident looked dodge for sure.

1 minute ago, cadenceblur said:

Is Pogacar running with hookless rims, that puncture incident looked dodge for sure.

He said he hit a hole, damaged the rim too. 

That was a masterclass in how not to manage a stage by Ineos. Pace all day on the front to “protect pink”, meaning UAE get a free ride to the bottom of the climb before the inevitable Pog-bomb and they lost pink by minutes.

20 hours ago, Underachiever said:

We need to check from Thursday onwards, when Tour of Hungary starts..

Giro seems to disappear again

Could it be something to do with Sagan's presence in this race? Some baguette team?

17 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

That was a masterclass in how not to manage a stage by Ineos. Pace all day on the front to “protect pink”, meaning UAE get a free ride to the bottom of the climb before the inevitable Pog-bomb and they lost pink by minutes.

Thomas is only 45 seconds behind, not minutes.

Luckily Pogačar was looking for the first stage win, “tested his legs a bit” and can relax for the next few days, otherwise it might have been minutes.

On 5/5/2024 at 6:40 AM, J Wakefield said:

2024:
11 race days in total

Actually only 10 race days prior to Giro.

In 2023, he did 20 race days till crashing out and breaking wrist at LBL in late april.

Either way, the last two years he has skipped the early season UAE tour which must be quite a negotiation with team sponsor.

From my keyboard it looks like he has taken on the '24 season with the Giro/Tour double as the goal and the spring classics were to keep racing/focussed. I'm not sure if anything has changed with Remco/JV crashing out and hampering their TdF training, but an "easy giro" would be a massive bonus for his Tour ambitions.

I think yesterday he definitely held back a bit. He just made 1 attack and then seem to just nonchalantly cruise his way once he had 20 seconds. I definitely think he’s wary of the tour so obviously trying to expend as less energy as he possibly can. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite him.

42 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I think yesterday he definitely held back a bit. He just made 1 attack and then seem to just nonchalantly cruise his way once he had 20 seconds. I definitely think he’s wary of the tour so obviously trying to expend as less energy as he possibly can. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite him.

Interesting word “nonchalantly”

With a bit of bike hub poetic license you get 

“NonchaLAnce”

I don’t ever remember seeing he who should not be mentioned here (LAnce) being so nonchalant about riding away from everyone.