Attakwas 2022

DIPSLICK

15 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Average 35; Max 47

That’s some reports I’m getting

That’s 100% correct. 
fixed my first sidewall puncture in 40 deg heat. Not pleasant. 
second one in was almost in the same spot so stopped in the river to pump my tyre and get splashed by riders going through it to cool down. 
That heat was insane, legs felt ok but HR didn’t wanna drop so decided to live another day and pull plug at WP2… 

sleeping last night wasn’t great, HR didn’t drop below 77. A normal night sleep it sits between 40 and 43 so probably a good call to get out that heat when I did. 

will call it unfinished business and hope next years is cooler and not like yesterday. 
image.png.3d518abaa016d886a9c1acc383dd4ade.png

Edited by ChUkKy

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChUkKy said:

That’s 100% correct. 
fixed my first sidewall puncture in 40 deg heat. Not pleasant. 
second one in was almost in the same spot so stopped in the river to pump my tyre and get splashed by riders going through it to cool down. 
That heat was insane, legs felt ok but HR didn’t wanna drop so decided to live another day and pull plug at WP2… 

sleeping last night wasn’t great, HR didn’t drop below 77. A normal night sleep it sits between 40 and 43 so probably a good call to get out that heat when I did. 

will call it unfinished business and hope next years is cooler and not like yesterday. 
image.png.3d518abaa016d886a9c1acc383dd4ade.png

You are still my hero.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, Skubarra said:

Was easily my toughest day on the bike ever. Started the day with plans of a sub-7. Was roughly on track till halfway through Attakwaskloof but started cramping on the steep climbs in the extreme heat then I knew there was trouble.

Leaving Bonnievale at 70km I literally had no energy or power in my legs. Every single climb I start off with a spin in granny gear, cramp then walk (apologies to the person earlier in the thread when i scoffed at the idea of training to walk climbs - Skubarra walked many miles today.) A number of times I parked myself under a tree for a few minutes just to feel human again, the strange thing is that in that 5 minutes maybe 3 or 4 riders would pass you, most others were doing the same thing.

Downed tons of fluids, but struggled to eat - later on I was even cramping on flat sections. Then its stop, wait for the cramps to pass then go again.

Eventually finished 1h30 slower than my previous time. Word at the finish was that around 50% of riders finished (I think cut-off was extended). If I had an easy opportunity I would have stopped my race and get into a sweeper bakkie.

Last tidbit-at one point spectators were handing out Coke, I declined because they were standing on a hill and I was worried I would not be able to get going again on the climb with my cramps 🙈. Just as I started feeling sorry for myself for not taking the Coke I saw a half drinked one lying on the ground. Stopped, picked it up and emptied it - thats how desperate my afternoon was.

hats off like bliksem , I don't even think I can comprehend that just by reading that testimonial 

6 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Sounds like the You See Eye's Extreme Weather Protocol could've been applied. 

Take of your health and rest up well, Julle.

@Skubarrataking drinks from half empty cups about defines the Hell.

Thanks Dale. In hindsight I think the race should have been cancelled/shortened in those conditions. Guess the problem is that large portions of the route are inaccessible to most vehicles so transporting groups of riders and their bikes would be impossible. 

Dit was verseker my hardste dag op n fiets, het by elke waterpunt en river crossing myself gesoak met koue water. Wou die plug pull na waterpunt 3 maar na so paar lang minute se talking to met myself het ek maar aangehou sukkel. Moes die bulte na die ou spur punt almal stoot. Het geen krag gehad om daar op te trap nie… Dink die yswater by elke waterpunt het my lewe gered. Kon ook later niks eet nie, was bloated en naar. Maar het hom getick en klaar gemaak… amper heeldag fiets gery. Was in die donkerste plek in my lewe vir baie lank. 

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Thanks Dale. In hindsight I think the race should have been cancelled/shortened in those conditions. Guess the problem is that large portions of the route are inaccessible to most vehicles so transporting groups of riders and their bikes would be impossible. 

In conditions such is this the risk of permanent kidney damage is always in the back of my head. 

6 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I actually agree and we've seen races get shafted for far less extreme conditions... Anyway hope no serious injuries or illnesses came about. 

Believe most bailed already at WP2? Was there shuttles or something there to transport okes to the finish or call a friend? Probably one of the easier accessible WP

On 1/15/2022 at 10:03 PM, LuckyLuke said:

Yup, we didn't finish,  stopped at bonniedale, it was just too hot to continue,  it was 30 in the starting pen, max 48 in the kloof, no wind. People were laying next to the road not able to continue,  lots pulled out at waterpoint 1 and 2 and bonniedale was about 60, congrats to the finishers,  don't know how you did it

I also bailed at Bonniedale. It was just too insane. My heart rate was 178 and felt like I was going to die. People who finished deserve more than medals! 

10 hours ago, babse said:

I actually agree and we've seen races get shafted for far less extreme conditions... Anyway hope no serious injuries or illnesses came about. 

Believe most bailed already at WP2? Was there shuttles or something there to transport okes to the finish or call a friend? Probably one of the easier accessible WP

From Race organiser at about 1730 , there were +- 150 riders waiting to be picked up still next to the road, the didn't have enough transport so had to do an enourmous amount of back and forth driving.

My folks farm in the Kammanassie, about 40km east of Oudtshoorn. My dad says Saturday morning early was already hellishly hot. Friends who live in Oudtshoorn reckon the average temp never descended below 31 deg C the previous night. I know of people living in George who entered and just decided to not even pitch for the start.

Having read up on all the past years I will say "well done" to anyone who finishes, but I am not sure I want to even attempt this.