Winelands Cycle Race in January

Paarl Rotary

24 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

So many comments from angry riders on FB: "The warm weather was predicted well in advance, why were the organisers not better prepared!?!"

Thinking to myself: "Why does this only apply to the organisers and not us cyclists who choose to enter a 112km race in Paarl in January?" 😕

cos we victims man, these evil organisers give us the drug of competition so we can't help ourselves. we need an intervention man

Suddenly I'm thinking "MIichael Michael zis is sow not right......"

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day All

Been reading these comments and thought I'd give some insight. Ive been Juan's best mate for 20 years and my son raced the event Sunday past. Firstly Juan should've been in A group but celebrated his son's birthday so couldn't get through Racetec and make the change and accepted the B group all he wanted to do was ride the race to the best of his ability and win if possible. We talking about a guy that could wheelie any motorcycle, climb and obstacle on MX bike and his done so many a time. It's sad he goes like this, definitely not the way we all saw it going. So let's talk about the incident that I am investigating in my personal capacity as well as I feel a life was robbed. I was on the scene of the accident and he been lying on hot tar for 20 min before one of the organizers medics assisted him, now Juan was a professional Body builder and understood how a boby functions. He mentioned on numerous occasions he couldn't breath now this was the medic response.... Shut up if you can talk you can breathe😐 Juan asked what's my pulse, I'm loosing function of my legs. 40 min later the paramedics arrive. On arrival at Paarl medic when they put oxygen on it was too late.... This guy suffocated, he died a horrible death. When I questioned where ambulance were and how many was arranged for the event I got told I'm being cocky. I'm so angry as this life lost could've been avoided. Whilst I stood  waiting for the ambulance I watched how dangerous that turn was and yes I took some pictures of the further possible carnage cyclist doing cars was absolutely crazy. One of the things I learnt from this event that it wasn't a sanctioned one hence all the incidents so please fellow cyclist if it's not a CSA sanctioned event you are taking a huge risk. I will at some point sooner than later and create a post so we that cycle understand what events are in our best interest. Juan leaves behind 3 boys a 15,7 and one year old son his wife Mich and loads of people who he made a huge inpact R. I. P 

24 minutes ago, FranE said:

Good day All

Been reading these comments and thought I'd give some insight. Ive been Juan's best mate for 20 years and my son raced the event Sunday past. Firstly Juan should've been in A group but celebrated his son's birthday so couldn't get through Racetec and make the change and accepted the B group all he wanted to do was ride the race to the best of his ability and win if possible. We talking about a guy that could wheelie any motorcycle, climb and obstacle on MX bike and his done so many a time. It's sad he goes like this, definitely not the way we all saw it going. So let's talk about the incident that I am investigating in my personal capacity as well as I feel a life was robbed. I was on the scene of the accident and he been lying on hot tar for 20 min before one of the organizers medics assisted him, now Juan was a professional Body builder and understood how a boby functions. He mentioned on numerous occasions he couldn't breath now this was the medic response.... Shut up if you can talk you can breathe😐 Juan asked what's my pulse, I'm loosing function of my legs. 40 min later the paramedics arrive. On arrival at Paarl medic when they put oxygen on it was too late.... This guy suffocated, he died a horrible death. When I questioned where ambulance were and how many was arranged for the event I got told I'm being cocky. I'm so angry as this life lost could've been avoided. Whilst I stood  waiting for the ambulance I watched how dangerous that turn was and yes I took some pictures of the further possible carnage cyclist doing cars was absolutely crazy. One of the things I learnt from this event that it wasn't a sanctioned one hence all the incidents so please fellow cyclist if it's not a CSA sanctioned event you are taking a huge risk. I will at some point sooner than later and create a post so we that cycle understand what events are in our best interest. Juan leaves behind 3 boys a 15,7 and one year old son his wife Mich and loads of people who he made a huge inpact R. I. P 

This is the most disappointing thing I've read on this incident. I can't begin to put myself in your situation, but understand the frustration and anger.

I hope some positivity can come out of this, and it's not just swept under the carpet.

37 minutes ago, FranE said:

Good day All

Thanks for this insight. I will NOT be supporting this event organiser going forward till this gross negligence is brought to book..No one should die in this way it absolutely unacceptable!!

55 minutes ago, FranE said:

Good day All

Thanks for making the effort to share your insights, at best I can only hope that putting the spotlight on this incident can maybe prevent similar incidents in future. Its absolutely horrifying to read the details of what happened. Condolences to you, his wife & kids. RIP Juan.

43 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

This is the most disappointing thing I've read on this incident. I can't begin to put myself in your situation, but understand the frustration and anger.

I hope some positivity can come out of this, and it's not just swept under the carpet.

Trust me whatever is under that carpet will come to light, too often we just accept what life throws at us. Myself as a parent of a son that cycles needs to step up and ensure his in a safe environment. 

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Don't know if it is still the case but for years the 99er road race justified their higher than average entry fee on having more bike marshals and more ambulances on route than the "average PPA funride". On days like last Sunday you can appreciate the value in that approach.

There was a crash at the end for the front of B batch, the bike marshal was really quick at stopping traffic etc so that I could help the kid get back up and going again. I told her I would ride with him till the finish to make sure ok etc.

Kid put me in the hurt locker for last 2km!!

The bike marshals are such an asset!

2 hours ago, FranE said:

Good day All

This is horrible and sounds horrendous. 

Lost for words. 

Condolences to the friends and family of Juan. 

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

It just proves that you just can't please everyone anymore. 

Not a PPA race? BLAME THE PPA when an accident happens!!!!

With social media now, everyone has a platform to voice their 'very often' uninformed opinion, which inevitably gains traction somewhere.

We used to just gripe to our wives/friends who would either sympathise or tell us to shuttup and get on with it. These days you could post something ridiculous about the earth being flat and 55000 people would agree 

22 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

You're right it wasn't. They did post on Vleisbroek about the difference between a PPA organised, vs PPA SAnctioned vs PPA Calendar event. This was a PPA calendar event i.e organised independantly but just placed on PPA calendar to have access to the PPA memebership base.

That was the jist off where my post and the savage was coming from

I thought that PPA post was pretty poor - 24 hours after a tragic and from all accounts potantially avoidable death of one of our own, an advocacy organisation posts a long spiel disavowing any responsibility for the event and pointing out that the upcoming Perdeberg ride will be properly organised. How does that reflect their mission statement which includes the words advocacy, cyclist and safety? 

They may not have any culpability in the matter but what looks life reflexive ass covering is a far cry from expressing interest, concern and proposing a plan for their role in addressing the issues the accident raises which would be more in line wiith what advocacy actually means

Edited by Mamil

20 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

There was a crash at the end for the front of B batch, the bike marshal was really quick at stopping traffic etc so that I could help the kid get back up and going again. I told her I would ride with him till the finish to make sure ok etc.

Kid put me in the hurt locker for last 2km!!

The bike marshals are such an asset!

That kid won Under 17 age cat at WC Champs last week.

3 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

That explains why I was on my limit just sitting with him!

in your defense, you look spent already by the time the group picked you up on the side of the road. 

🙊