Garmin Fenix 7 / Epix 2

Fisan

7 hours ago, _David_ said:

Keep your 6x Sapphire, don't give in to FOMO 🙂

Wait a couple weeks, once all the hype has died down then ONLY make a decision. IMO the difference between the 6 and the 7 is not really worth the upgrade, wait for the Fenix 8 or 9.

Somehow I think his heart is louder than reason ...😋

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Not unique in that regard.

difficult to resist ain’t it. But I must stay strong. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:22 PM, DIPSLICK said:

Now that’s service 

thanks Keith

A3800FDD-BE69-4D52-8846-8DC5A4FC70E1.jpeg

F8785964-9B6B-4E62-B65B-53B8FD9DE1C8.jpeg

Are you happy with this version? Deciding between this or the epix

12 hours ago, Hotdegree said:

Are you happy with this version? Deciding between this or the epix

very happy love the touch screen, I dont really do the homework when buying I honestly was told get the 6s I got it, A cheap 5x came up so I took it as I prefer the size, when everyone started talking about the 7x it was a no brainer

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Well I'm sure a lot of guys here will jump at the chance of getting a brand new 7x Sapphire for R11 700. It's enough reason for me to sell my 6x Sapphire and get that.

Edited by Chrisac

35 minutes ago, Chrisac said:

Well I'm sure a lot of guys here will jump at the chance of getting a brand new 7x Sapphire for R11 700. It's enough reason for me to sell my 6x Sapphire and get that.

I'd seriously consider one for that price! I have an Edge 520 plus and a very old Suunto Ambit2 - I think a watch upgrade is in my near future 😁

41 minutes ago, Chrisac said:

Wait what where?

44 minutes ago, Fisan said:

Wait what where?

Through Momentum Multiply you get (up to) 40% off. I'm buying it through someone else's account.

18 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Whoop whoop!!!!!! Will now think about selling my 6x Pro Solar - maybe just test drive the new Epix 2 for a while

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-02 at 1.33.34 PM.jpeg

First Impressions?

42 minutes ago, Chrisac said:

First Impressions?

Unbelievable! Screen is bright and crystal clear (excuse pun as it is Sapphire Edt). Brightness at medium only and it is good enough for me. That AMOLED is SUPERB - much much much much clearer than 6x

It seems not everything is touch screen - you need to use in some cases a combination of buttons and screen touch. You would start something on the screen but need to perform some actions via the buttons. Will take a little while to get used to. 

Screen touches are VERY smooth and quick to respond. 

Not all watch faces are yet on this watch. So my favourite watch screen (Chariot J-Shock) is not yet available for download - just need to be a bit patient. Other watch faces are incredibly clear

Much lighter than my 6x and feel the diff immediately. Ordered a nice red wrist band to go with "red button" - eish what am I? 

Smaller screen not even a small worry. Brightness is so good I really do not see the difference. Everything fits perfectly and data screens easy to read. 

Still figuring out the watch/phone combination as I read you can now do much more customisations on the phone (i.e. activity data fields setup etc) - need some more time to check this feature. For now I just set it all up on the watch and with touch screen was a breeze really. 

I set AOD to off and gesture mode on. Gesture is super sensitive. Hardly a move and screen comes on. Found that sometimes on the 6x the screen did not come on with every arm move. 

Will do my first training with watch today and see how that goes. 

Took a shower with watch last night and screen changes were all over the place as water fell on the screen. It reacted all the time and jumped between screens. Guess this is expected and one could just lock the touch screen before a shower...or just accept the screen reactions

Charged last night - battery said 16d and right now still shows 16d. Will see how accurate that is - especially when one does training. 

Pulse OX - super accurate comparing it with with these medical finger majingies - they were a match (ok 1% diff- but I could just have breathed differently at the moment of measure) 

So far - all I can report 🙂

Edited by pedal menace

3 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Unbelievable! Screen is bright and crystal clear (excuse pun as it is Sapphire Edt). Brightness at medium only and it is good enough for me. That AMOLED is SUPERB - much much much much clearer than 6x

It seems not everything is touch screen - you need to use in some cases a combination of buttons and screen touch. You would start something on the screen but need to perform some actions via the buttons. Will take a little while to get used to. 

Screen touches are VERY smooth and quick to respond. 

Not all watch faces are yet on this watch. So my favourite watch screen (Chariot J-Shock) is not yet available for download - just need to be a bit patient. Other watch faces are incredibly clear

Much lighter than my 6x and feel the diff immediately. Ordered a nice red wrist band to go with "red button" - eish what am I? 

Smaller screen not even a small worry. Brightness is so good I really do not see the difference. Everything fits perfectly and data screens easy to read. 

Still figuring out the watch/phone combination as I read you can now do much more customisations on the phone (i.e. activity data fields setup etc) - need some more time to check this feature. For now I just set it all up on the watch and with touch screen was a breeze really. 

I set AOD to off and gesture mode on. Gesture is super sensitive. Hardly a move and screen comes on. Found that sometimes on the 6x the screen did not come on with every arm move. 

Will do my first training with watch today and see how that goes. 

Took a shower with watch last night and screen changes was all over the place as water fell on the screen. It reacted all the time and jumped between screens. Guess this is expected and one could just lock the touch screen before a shower...or just accept the screen reactions

Charged last night - battery said 16d and right now still shows 16d. Will see how accurate that is - especially when one does training. 

Pulse OX - super accurate comparing it with with these medical finger majingies - they were a match (ok 1% out - but I could just have breathed differently at the moment of measure) 

So far - all I can report 🙂

Thanks a lot for all the info. Really considering getting the Epix. Would love to see it in person. But geez it's difficult to find. Where did you buy yours?

23 minutes ago, Chrisac said:

Thanks a lot for all the info. Really considering getting the Epix. Would love to see it in person. But geez it's difficult to find. Where did you buy yours?

Ordered directly from Garmin - you may get cheaper prices once LBS and other sport shops get stock - but I was willing to pay RRP to get it quickly. To be honest - I was surprised to get it 5 days after placing order and paying.  

Got my F7 hand delivered from the US at last 😀

Opted for sapphire solar because I'm planning to use it until it dies (like my F3 did... RIP). Also, I'm hoping the multiband GPS does add accuracy. Not only for mountain missions, but also for site-work - marking POIs and such. If there was a cheaper option without solar I would've went for that.

The performance with touch and maps is awesome. I got a subscription of BirdsEye sat imagery for the fun of it - works okay (colors are a bit dull obviously), but I think the Epix would really bring the best of that.