Garmin Fenix 7 / Epix 2

Fisan

What would you guys recommend? I run and cycle and my Garmin Forerunner 35 does the job,but want to do some serious MTB races and need navigation. Buy the Edge or can the Fenix do it all? Is it better to have two devices? (Cycling & Running) when it comes to navigation.

Edited by Clint S

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

if anyone on the hub is getting in stock please hit me a PM i want

The trick is to buy the Sapphire 6 when it's price drops as the 7 comes out...
The 6 is already a ridiculously wonderful piece of kit that ticks every box and some.

But we also know you don't listen Scalpel Joe 🤐

5 minutes ago, Andrew Steer said:

The trick is to buy the Sapphire 6 when it's price drops as the 7 comes out...
The 6 is already a ridiculously wonderful piece of kit that ticks every box and some.

But we also know you don't listen Scalpel Joe 🤐

if you compare the pricing right now on the 6 vs the 7 the 6 is already comparatively quite a lot cheaper.

i would not expect any additional drop in price

5 minutes ago, Furbz said:

if you compare the pricing right now on the 6 vs the 7 the 6 is already comparatively quite a lot cheaper.

I agree, I think it’s now settled. With the latest update to 6 it’s updated it fantastically. I will keep the 6 for the time being. 

22 minutes ago, Clint S said:

What would you guys recommend? I run and cycle and my Garmin Forerunner 35 does the job,but want to do some serious MTB races and need navigation. Buy the Edge or can the Fenix do it all? Is it better to have two devices? (Cycling & Running) when it comes to navigation.

The Fenix navigation is more suited for slower moving, i.e. running and hiking. Maybe the 7X is big enough for mounting on a MTB, but I would rather have a dedicated Edge if you need navigation on the bike. 

8 minutes ago, Furbz said:

They will probably try keep the pricing in line, but reality always dictates that many re-sellers will clear their 6's to stock 7's - and we all score.

It's happened every time. And like you say, even if it doesn't, the pricing of the 6 for how it stacks up against the 7... it's really not worth the extra cash in my books.

Absolutely love my Fenix 6 - the battery life if awesome and it holds up ridiculously well to the endles whacks it enjoys in being worn daily. Mines still spotless a year in, you can't ask for more

38 minutes ago, Fisan said:

The Fenix navigation is more suited for slower moving, i.e. running and hiking. Maybe the 7X is big enough for mounting on a MTB, but I would rather have a dedicated Edge if you need navigation on the bike. 

Agree, the fenix screen for my ole eyes just not legible enough for cycling 

Edited by IceCreamMan

39 minutes ago, Andrew Steer said:

They will probably try keep the pricing in line, but reality always dictates that many re-sellers will clear their 6's to stock 7's - and we all score.

It's happened every time. And like you say, even if it doesn't, the pricing of the 6 for how it stacks up against the 7... it's really not worth the extra cash in my books.

Absolutely love my Fenix 6 - the battery life if awesome and it holds up ridiculously well to the endles whacks it enjoys in being worn daily. Mines still spotless a year in, you can't ask for more

My experience too, the 6 (sapphire) has weathered my ownership extremely well..looks almost new after 2.5 years of wear and use age, incredible really. 

5 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

My experience too, the 6 (sapphire) has weathered my ownership extremely well..looks almost new after 2.5 years of wear and use age, incredible really. 

For what it cost, I would hope so.

Edited by _David_

Just now, _David_ said:

For what they cost, I would hope so.

True, they are expensive. I was apprehensive when I bought it from a value and utility point of view but would do it again.  

10 minutes ago, Craai said:

It is if you go longer than 30 minutes and your heart rate is above 70% according to Vitality

Exacly...
Chukky hasn't missed a free smoothie since he was 13 and Mrs Groenwagen hit him with a ruler

On 1/19/2022 at 9:58 AM, Rocket-Boy said:

Seems Garmin are now in the same uncomfortable spot as Apple and co, the new device just cant have enough new features to warrant upgrading from the previous one. The one thing that will still drive sales is people who want to always have the latest.

Personally I cant see a reason to upgrade from my 5X Plus.

I just upgraded to a 5X Plus...