Is the Assos stuff a tad overpriced?

OVERDRIVE

The older versions did reveal the boom-boom eventually. Most likely, it was not washed according to specification. The last few bibs' RnD is hugely improved. That Swiss family know how to make cool stuff.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet to be disappointed by any Assos item of clothing I have ever bought . Their winter gloves,jackets & long sleeve under garments are the absolute bollocks.  Couldn’t ride in the uk winter without them . 

The T.rally bib shorts for mountain biking & gravel riding are just absolutely brilliant. Once you have got over the eye watering,vomit inducing price . They are by far the most comfortable and hard wearing bib you can buy. The hip pads  actually work , have tested them a few times . Although when on my mtn bike I wear baggies. But did test the material the other day on my gravel bike at about 28kph....bib is perfect and saved my hip again. 

Anything bicycle related is overpriced,just some more than others . 

Is Assos worth the coin, for me it is.

Edited by Pikey

5 hours ago, Jbr said:

In France during my last trip, there seems to be a local importer but never managed to get an answer from him... A shop in hout bay sells their stuff but last time I went they only had women stuff... Might be worth asking them.

The sizing on the ale’ clothes is really small and rather odd I found. Although in all likeliness it’s probably me that’s odd . Smaller than Castelli even. 

5 minutes ago, Pikey said:

The sizing on the ale’ clothes is really small and rather odd I found. Although in all likeliness it’s probably me that’s odd . Smaller than Castelli even. 

weird, I've got M bibs from ciovita, assos, go cycle and Alé, and they all fit good, the assos being the tighest/shortest of all. Alé are actually very long, right above the knee

good to mix it up in summer for a nice gradient-tan I've got 3 nice lines on each leg

Edited by Jbr

I was editing the prev post but ended up sending a new/empty post

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

weird, I've got M bibs from ciovita, assos, go cycle and Alé, and they all fit good, the assos being the tighest/shortest of all. Alé are actually very long, right above the knee

good to mix it up in summer for a nice gradient-tan I've got 3 nice lines on each leg

As i said , probably me that’s odd 😎

Assos I wear large but coivita medium. Must say the road ciovita bibs are awesome. The m is tight for first couple rides ,then fits perfectly. Being 6 ft I should probably wear L but found they not tight enough. 

The assistant winter jacket I have is from 2001…. I wear it every winter 

I have a Mille bib from 2005.m, still going/

the last FI.13 is used on the indoor trainer but it’s 20years old, chamois is still comfortable 

assos doesn’t do radical changes every year so your 2010 gear still looks current.

So if I amortised the assos gear over the years of service it comes in cheaper than other brands 

that said, the bike industry doesn’t make goods to last like it did in the 1990 to 2008 period 

Have 5x pairs of Assos bibs. First pair bought in 2013 are relegated to the trainer only. The S5 range faded from drying in the sun - so all the newer ones are dried strictly in the shade.

As others have said, the stuff lasts forever and is super comfy.

I have got 2 pairs of Mission Workshop bibs (I won them in a competition but they are mega-pricey +-R5k a pair) - which are made of a much tougher material but the pads are not nearly as comfy.

4 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I have padding at the rear naturally - it takes at least 5 hours to get a sore bum and I very rarely put in a 5 hour stint.  My front bum however is super sensitive.  I have tried everything and would hate to add the amount of I have spent on cheap bibs, expensive bibs and ludicrously expensive bibs

I think Assos is insanely priced as are my 2 Rapha bibs.  But I can tell you that my scrotum feels they are fair value.

And yes I have tried every single local brand any of whom I'd love to support.  The other thing with Assos is the sizing doesn't vary in my experience

Hold on while I get with the TMI department, we'll get right back to you 🤣

I think they’re overpriced in todays market. I think 5-10 years ago, they pretty much had a monopoly with a couple of other big brands like Castelli for instance.  However, we are definitely spoilt for choice right now with so many different brands like Le Col, La Passione etc. Their quality is fantastic at a much more affordable price, I find it hard to justify Assos now. Even our local Ciovita make really good kit.

11 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I think they’re overpriced in todays market. I think 5-10 years ago, they pretty much had a monopoly with a couple of other big brands like Castelli for instance.  However, we are definitely spoilt for choice right now with so many different brands like Le Col, La Passione etc. Their quality is fantastic at a much more affordable price, I find it hard to justify Assos now. Even our local Ciovita make really good kit.

That's for sure, exactly how I feel.

Used to only ride S7 T'Equipe. Recently bought a couple of new model MIlle's and have to say that I'm not wild about the low cut upfront. For R3.5.

Gone to Northcliff and purchased a couple of Monton bibs which I really rate and are less that have the price.

Ego the comments made earlier about local brands ... do want to support them but have not found a really good one yet .... maybe I just have a difficult backside???

4 hours ago, Ossie NL said:

Used to only ride S7 T'Equipe. Recently bought a couple of new model MIlle's and have to say that I'm not wild about the low cut upfront. For R3.5.

Gone to Northcliff and purchased a couple of Monton bibs which I really rate and are less that have the price.

Ego the comments made earlier about local brands ... do want to support them but have not found a really good one yet .... maybe I just have a difficult backside???

and a boep