Is the Assos stuff a tad overpriced?

OVERDRIVE

Expensive indeed but they are quality and do last - I have a winter jacket that is almost 8 years old and still perfect.

As an option, I recently tried the monton range and am finding it a very very good alternative in terms of price & quality.

Edited by finallygotabike

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Paulst12 said:

Where did you buy your ALE shorts?

In France during my last trip, there seems to be a local importer but never managed to get an answer from him... A shop in hout bay sells their stuff but last time I went they only had women stuff... Might be worth asking them.

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

In France during my last trip, there seems to be a local importer but never managed to get an answer from him... A shop in hout bay sells their stuff but last time I went they only had women stuff... Might be worth asking them.

Thanks very much ... seen some great write up's on their shorts

I bought 2 x bibs (think it was the entry level) towards the middle of 2020.

They still fit perfectly but according to my riding partner he can see my @sscrack when I wear the one pair.

At first I thought he was lying as he is always riding in front but when I hold the bib and stretch it out a bit I can definitely see the one pair is thinning out on the back just about the chamois. 

7 minutes ago, Escapee.. said:

They still fit perfectly but according to my riding partner he can see my @sscrack when I wear the one pair.

At first I thought he was lying as he is always riding in front but when I hold the bib and stretch it out a bit I can definitely see the one pair is thinning out on the back just about the chamois. 

ouch!!!!!!,,, actually I said I could clearly see each cheek,,, 

11 minutes ago, Escapee.. said:

same, and i have never thought twice about ever buying another assos bib again. but i do permanently wear baggies now, so maybe not never but never

3 hours ago, Escapee.. said:

Same, I don't wear mine anymore because they have gone transparent. But they are about 2yrs old, suppose you can't expect them to last forever. A couple years ago I had a pair of Castelli shorts that done the same thing.

Edited by _David_

4 hours ago, Jono said:

If you feel their stuff is too expensive, don't buy it.

I agree. No point in complaining about it on a Saffer forum.

expensive yes

Top Quality ....yes

most comfortable.....maybe not anymore

longest lasting ....definitely

bibs , top jacket, leggings all use premium materials

the bib pads are top of the pile. Elastic Interface with Assos own design covers, they're still ahead of the game

sale prices are more in line with the true value. Shame we don;t get those sales in SA

7 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

The stuff is good, and the few items I own have outlasted a lot of other kit.

By and large the pricing is completely out of my range though. It’s not something to begrudge them over, we’re spoilt for choices with kit.

Also true. 

6 hours ago, Karooryder said:

Not overpriced but expensive because the product is super high quality that lasts forever - I have 2 10 year old Assos bibs which are still very usable bar slight fading of colour. You will  likely buy and "use up" 2/3 cheaper bibs in the lifetime of an Assos product imo.    

Those are some numbers! Thats good quality though. 

I have padding at the rear naturally - it takes at least 5 hours to get a sore bum and I very rarely put in a 5 hour stint.  My front bum however is super sensitive.  I have tried everything and would hate to add the amount of I have spent on cheap bibs, expensive bibs and ludicrously expensive bibs

I think Assos is insanely priced as are my 2 Rapha bibs.  But I can tell you that my scrotum feels they are fair value.

And yes I have tried every single local brand any of whom I'd love to support.  The other thing with Assos is the sizing doesn't vary in my experience