Is the Assos stuff a tad overpriced?

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad this topic has come up.

I have 5 pairs all Cento S7 except 1 is Neopro S7.

Ages range from 3 to 6 years.

Firstly, they are without doubt the most comfortable bibs I have owned.

The first sign of wear for me, is the leg elastics start stretching and look horrible condemning the bib to the trainer.

Then the chamois starts delaminating.

With the prices where they are, I can't quite get my head around the value for money question based on the lifespan I have been seeing.

I am north of 90kg so not sure if that affects durability but I rotate the bibs quite conscientiously so would expect better life.

We have also been strict with our washing protocols -(Us is wifey and me)

I'm now in two minds about what to buy next?

I  have 5 F1.13 bibs i still wear. Colour does fade but the chamois is till good to go. Expensive yes but for how long they last.

21 hours ago, Rob K said:

Glad this topic has come up.

I have 5 pairs all Cento S7 except 1 is Neopro S7.

Ages range from 3 to 6 years.

Firstly, they are without doubt the most comfortable bibs I have owned.

The first sign of wear for me, is the leg elastics start stretching and look horrible condemning the bib to the trainer.

Then the chamois starts delaminating.

With the prices where they are, I can't quite get my head around the value for money question based on the lifespan I have been seeing.

I am north of 90kg so not sure if that affects durability but I rotate the bibs quite conscientiously so would expect better life.

We have also been strict with our washing protocols -(Us is wifey and me)

I'm now in two minds about what to buy next?

I've owed an Assos bib that I got at a bargain price since it was black/yellow combo.  Died an early death after a fall.  Was comfy...

BUT vs the normal Italian options and some good old local bibs, I doubt that they are worth the price premium.

I still wear Anatomic's/Satini/Nalini that are >10 years old.  Chamois are still good, some colour fade but no cheek peeking...

I ride about 400 hrs annually. 

• 1 month later...

Ok so I am racing for Go-Cycle on the road so obviously I only ride Go-cycle stuff on the road. I used to rotate through all my other stuff while riding the MTB (Assos, Ale, Ciovita), but now I pretty much only ride with my Go Cycle stuff as over time it's just what I find most consistent and comfortable for me, the padding is slightly thinner than Ale and Assos, but I like it better because it offers better consistency if that makes sense, I never feel like on the contact points with the saddle it's moved or it's not straight or has soft spots.

Alé is my 2nd choice if I need to save my team stuff for the next days, padding is a bit thicker but still offers good consistency, overall I think it's close to Assos in terms of feel on the saddle, bit more consistent/precise. And I love the looks and cut. (and you can buy 3/4 of them for one set of assos)

Assos I find them too short, too small (both mine are M, like all the other brands I own), I actually need to stand quite a lot when I wear them for a long time, so I barely use them anymore.

Ciovita mmmh since everyone seems to love it I'm not sure I want to give my opinion about :D I only have one bib, and it was my first one (so the oldest, about 3 years old), probably has the most hours as well, so the comparison is a bit biased. I have a pair of Corsa and I find now they are very inconsistent, I always feel like the padding has softer points and makes the rides unconfortable, it's now my last choice when getting ready for a ride (Except for the 1st ascent stuff that I must still have somewhere, those I think I'd rather ride naked than with them). But I never was sold on them, to answer your question Ciovita vs Alé I'd buy Alé every day.

Edited by Jbr

With the exception of their bibshorts, which in my experience are worth every penny, their stuff is definitely overpriced. R4000 for a shirt, with no real benefit over other brands, is just silly.

36 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Ok so I am racing for Go-Cycle on the road so obviously I only ride Go-cycle stuff on the road. I used to rotate through all my other stuff while riding the MTB (Assos, Ale, Ciovita), but now I pretty much only ride with my Go Cycle stuff as over time it's just what I find most consistent and comfortable for me, the padding is slightly thinner than Ale and Assos, but I like it better because it offers better consistency if that makes sense, I never feel like on the contact points with the saddle it's moved or it's not straight or has soft spots.

Alé is my 2nd choice if I need to save my team stuff for the next days, padding is a bit thicker but still offers good consistency, overall I think it's close to Assos in terms of feel on the saddle, bit more consistent/precise. And I love the looks and cut. (and you can buy 3/4 of them for one set of assos)

Assos I find them too short, too small (both mine are M, like all the other brands I own), I actually need to stand quite a lot when I wear them for a long time, so I barely use them anymore.

Ciovita mmmh since everyone seems to love it I'm not sure I want to give my opinion about :D I only have one bib, and it was my first one (so the oldest, probably 3 years), probably has the most hours as well, so the comparison is probably a bit biased. I have a pair of Corsa and I find now they are very inconsistent, I always feel like the padding has softer points and makes the rides unconfortable, it's now my last choice when getting ready for a ride. (Except for the 1st ascent stuff that I must still have somewhere, those I think I'd rather ride naked than with them)

Talking about Ciovita, has anyone tried their Indoor bib? 

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Ciovita mmmh since everyone seems to love it I'm not sure I want to give my opinion about :D I only have one bib, and it was my first one (so the oldest, probably 3 years), probably has the most hours as well, so the comparison is probably a bit biased. I have a pair of Corsa and I find now they are very inconsistent, I always feel like the padding has softer points and makes the rides unconfortable, it's now my last choice when getting ready for a ride. (Except for the 1st ascent stuff that I must still have somewhere, those I think I'd rather ride naked than with them)

How does the ale sizing compare to Ciovita and Assos?

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Ciovita mmmh since everyone seems to love it I'm not sure I want to give my opinion about :D I only have one bib, and it was my first one (so the oldest, about 3 years old), probably has the most hours as well, so the comparison is a bit biased. I have a pair of Corsa and I find now they are very inconsistent, I always feel like the padding has softer points and makes the rides unconfortable, it's now my last choice when getting ready for a ride (Except for the 1st ascent stuff that I must still have somewhere, those I think I'd rather ride naked than with them). But I never was sold on them, to answer your question Ciovita vs Alé I'd buy Alé every day.

Which go cycle bib do you prefer? Sizing same as ciovita?

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

How does the ale sizing compare to Ciovita and Assos?

I wear M for Alé/Ciovita/Assos/GoCycle bibs, Assos is a bit short and tight for me, Alé and ciovita perfect, Go cycle the race bibs were just a little bit short, the pro ones are perfect now :

To give you an idea on how M compare in lengths on myself :

Alé : 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTzmr4DM1Pg/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRuOLacHWMX/

Ciovita : 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWIiNpQslcF/

Gocycle :

race https://www.instagram.com/p/CXdBpTvsCDy/

pro : https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca1zixnqok-/

Assos :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNk5kUzHijH/

Edited by Jbr