Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

28 minutes ago, love2fly said:

👍 stunning video. What cool guys. So many riders stressing about everything and they don't even take themselves seriously. 

Behind the cool, detached and chilled demeanour, rests a killer work ethic, iron-clad teamwork, competent organisation and the precision in performance management of a very experienced German engineer. They clearly had a plan to win this race and many more to come.

Respect. Talk about underdogs. Or shall I say 'dark horses'. 

spacer.png

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad other people also noticed that there were no interview with them at the finish line, and it sounded to me like Baum's father was prevented from meeting them on the line, (Gerald alluded to it) where the other teams had people swarming all over them. It was like they were left hanging there, until they left the finishing area on their own. It left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling corrected.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, openmind said:

I ride/race Aspens, including W2W last year. I’m 80kg and run them at the same pressures as above (2.4” tyre on 25mm internal rims). Zero issues in 6 months. They are great tyres, fast and good grip in the dry.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:13 AM, openmind said:

Not sure what you mean. I paid full retail for the tyres and they work well. Happy customer. All I meant to say with my post was that the Aspens are not a bad choice for the Epic. Nino either just had really bad luck or he has some custom version of the tyre that is less durable than the stock version, which obviously then was a bad choice. 

1 hour ago, Spafsack said:

Getting back to Scott / Nino's team, why they chose Aspens is beyond me. How many punctures did they end up having, it destroyed there race. Wonder what tyres speed company rode? Would be interesting to see what the top 5 teams rode tyre wise actually.

Speed Company Racing-Schwalbe Thunder Burt Rear, Racing Ralph Front 

Canyon Northwave- Schwalbe Addix

Specialized - Fast Trak/Renegade

Buff Megamo- Pirelli Scorpion 

Bulls- Scwalbe Big Betty

Note-Nobody in the top 10 used the Maxxis. I know this means nothing to the average man, but to me that means give it a miss. @openminddoes use them though and is happy? 

54 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I watched until the ladies interview .... never saw SCR interview

Actually didnt see one either...

4 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Note-Nobody in the top 10 used the Maxxis. I know this means nothing to the average man, but to me that means give it a miss. @openminddoes use them though and is happy? 

Yass how many times are you going to post that maxxis are *** and that PFP has no teams skills ?
We got it the first 3 times…

2 hours ago, Eldron said:

If I hear him say "innate ability" one more time I'm going to stab ice picks into both of my ears.

“The ABSA Cape Epic” for me. 

2 minutes ago, M L said:

“The ABSA Cape Epic” for me. 

They are probably instructed to mention 'ABSA Cape Epic' every 30 seconds. Also it leaves a very sour aftertaste that SCR were not properly interviewed. I can bet you if a factory team won it they would have had a stand-up and sit down interview.

Edited by dev null

2 minutes ago, dev null said:

They are probably instructed to mention 'ABSA Cape Epic' every 30 seconds. Also it leaves a very sour aftertaste that SCR were not properly interviewed. I can bet you if a factory team won it they would have had a stand-up and sit down interview.

You’ll definitely get liver failure on a mention of “the ABSA Cape Epic” drinking game. 

6 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Forgive me I'm sour Nino didnt do better...taking out my frustration on the wheels 

Best Forgive Me GIFs | Gfycat

Don’t get me wrong I also think it was a terrible choice of tyre, but it doesn’t mean that the whole brand is ***, I’ve ridden lots of their tyres over the years, some I found terrible, some I found absolutely amazing. This applies to other brands too, you just have to chose wisely according to how you plan on using them !

Blood, sweat and tears..it took all of them for me to get across the line. The last two days was the the hardest days I've ever had to endure on a bike.. probably visited the toilet about 30 times in the last 40 hours with a tummy bug(and probably half of the camp as well). Crawled across the line in tears yesterday with only a few minutes to spare..I almost didn't get out of bed yesterday. Completely depleted and I was only able to hold down a meal now an hour ago since Friday. On the plus side, riding at depletion means my legs couldn't put out any power and are actually feeling pretty fresh at the moment.

On top of this my chain snapped 200m after the start this morning..

As if ending up in hospital with accute renal failure after Stage 1 wasn't enough already!

Edited by JohanDiv

3 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

Blood, sweat and tears..it took all of them for me to get across the line. The last two days was the the hardest days I've ever had to endure on a bike.. probably visited the toilet about 30 times in the last 40 hours with a tummy bug(and probably half of the camp as well). Crawled across the line in tears yesterday with only a few minutes to spare..I almost didn't get out of bed yesterday. Completely depleted and I was only able to hold down a meal now an hour ago since Friday. On the plus side, riding at depletion means my legs couldn't put out any power and are actually feeling pretty fresh at the moment.

As if ending up in hospital with rhenal failure after Stage 1 wasn't enough already!

CONGRATULATIONS.

You certainly hung in there !!

42 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

As if ending up in hospital with accute renal failure after Stage 1 wasn't enough already!

Give that man a Bells and a 48 Roll of Loo Rolls! Well done. Storied like that are what to me makes the Epic and even one day races like Argus, Comrades etc.