Misleading Add

Wil6

6 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

True it's not like you take the fork off and leave the lockout lever behind on the bar or something ...

and if you are simply state that as the case. "'Retaining lock out lever for replacement fork"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Shaun de Jager said:

Good evening everyone. I am the seller of this item in discussion.

I feel this post is defamatory to my profile on BikeHub, since my profile can easily be found with the screenshot posted as I haven't removed/marked the add as sold yet and this is not a true reflection of our conversation.  

This is the very first time in my life of selling something that the buyer was unhappy. I believe that my add was not misleading as the fork does have the remote lockout damper and there isn't a lever on any of the photos of the add. The lever has always been a separate item in my mind. The Reba in discussion is available with two types of dampers - either a manual lockout or a remote lockout. The intention of the title was to indicate which one I am selling.

After the buyer received the fork today and was upset that the "remote lockout" was not included, my first response was that I am sorry for the misunderstanding and he is welcome to send the fork back if he is not happy and I will refund him. His responses were very aggressive and threatening as I was trying to explain that the fork does have remote lockout.

I am willing to refund him because he is unhappy, although I am not legally required to, but not willing to refund the shipping as the add was not false advertising as he claims. 

Give the Man His Lockout Please.

13 hours ago, Shaun de Jager said:

Good evening everyone. I am the seller of this item in discussion.

I feel this post is defamatory to my profile on BikeHub, since my profile can easily be found with the screenshot posted as I haven't removed/marked the add as sold yet and this is not a true reflection of our conversation.  

This is the very first time in my life of selling something that the buyer was unhappy. I believe that my add was not misleading as the fork does have the remote lockout damper and there isn't a lever on any of the photos of the add. The lever has always been a separate item in my mind. The Reba in discussion is available with two types of dampers - either a manual lockout or a remote lockout. The intention of the title was to indicate which one I am selling.

After the buyer received the fork today and was upset that the "remote lockout" was not included, my first response was that I am sorry for the misunderstanding and he is welcome to send the fork back if he is not happy and I will refund him. His responses were very aggressive and threatening as I was trying to explain that the fork does have remote lockout.

I am willing to refund him because he is unhappy, although I am not legally required to, but not willing to refund the shipping as the add was not false advertising as he claims. 

Nothing defamatory about the post.

You sold an item that was not complete. The fork you sold is not fully functional without the remote lockout lever so he has every right to complain.

Your attitude seems very flippant and you've sold incomplete goods as excellent condition. For the buyer to obtain full functionality they need to purchase a lock out lever with the same cable pull as the unit the fork requires. No mention of this in your add.

Do the right thing and send the man his lock out lever.

cheers

15 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The fork the OP bought has the remote lock out top already there, he is just  missing the poploc and cable.

That's where the confusion is. The Ad says 'with remote lockout' which it has,  not a manual toggle. It just doesn't include the remote. 

I see the wording as ambiguous and luckily, easily remedied 

Aah okay - i stand corrected then

When i get a fork WITH remote lockout, it is the complete set. Selling a fork with a remote damper assembly on the fork is not an item WITH a remote lockout.

7 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Give the Man His Lockout Please.

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Nothing defamatory about the post.

You sold an item that was not complete. The fork you sold is not fully functional without the remote lockout lever so he has every right to complain.

Your attitude seems very flippant and you've sold incomplete goods as excellent condition. For the buyer to obtain full functionality they need to purchase a lock out lever with the same cable pull as the unit the fork requires. No mention of this in your add.

Do the right thing and send the man his lock out lever.

cheers

What these ou toppie, over weight, gravel roadies said 👆

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Here's another example of a misleading ad whether the seller know it or not:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/525462/cannondale-lefty-20-carbon-xlr-100mm-for-29

Talks to a Lefty 2.0 XLR.

All measurements indicate its for a Size Small Headtube of 97mm length but the ad claims it came off a 29" medium.

Cannondale never made a Lefty 2.0 XLR with crown spacing of 97mm for a size medium and it was not a 29er, but a 27.5.

Crown spacing for a medium is 112mm so this fork is a for Small frame and likely set up for a 27.5 wheel. It can be converted to 100mm travel for 29" wheel at some expense

So there's a lot of questions a prospective buyer needs to ask. BUT

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS IF YOU ARE NOT INTIMATE WITH THE PRODUCT?

No doubting your level of intimacy here!

11 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Buyer didn't ask. 
Seller didn't tell.

Pretty much.

I remember looking at that fork and considering it but thinking to myself I need to ask for some more pics and of the lever especially so I can see the condition of it.

Weird one, as a seller I will always include pictures and details of everything that goes with the deal and as a buyer I will always request pictures and details of everything that goes with the deal.

And as the buyer I wouldn't want any lever other than an original RockShox lever due to price paid and the condition of the item being so "new" one would want a nice original lever.

Edited by Hello Ruan

Being Friday and if you really want to open a can of worms, how many adds are there on the hub that say brand new, but it is a 2018/19/20 model?

Brand New is 2022. 

Yes it might be old stock, never sold, never used - but it is not brand new.

It like walking into a car dealership and asking to buy a brand new car and the salesmen says we have this beauty of a 2019 model never sold before?

9 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Being Friday and if you really want to open a can of worms, how many adds are there on the hub that say brand new, but it is a 2018/19/20 model?

Brand New is 2022. 

Yes it might be old stock, never sold, never used - but it is not brand new.

It like walking into a car dealership and asking to buy a brand new car and the salesmen says we have this beauty of a 2019 model never sold before?

Brand new is anything that has never been used, unopened if packaged,  irrespective of date of manufacture. Done 100 km, is not brand new. 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:22 PM, Marcv said:

At first i thought this was an easy one but after reading it a couple times i can see how both the seller and the buyer would be right. I guess it could have read Fork with remote lockout but no lever. this assumes that the fork does in fact have the remote lockout top cap.

Usually the better-worded ads would say "Cable & remote excluded". I don't think any dishonesty intended so buyer & seller should meet halfway.