[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

I must admit the R750 felt a bit steep but it's such a special event and wouldn't miss it! I feel like they could make the entry fee R900 and they'd still have a good numbers. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Akon said:

image.jpeg.9eb478092821d206d9c7e84d58dc0d0a.jpeg

Call me stupid( see what i did there?😇) i’m not really sure who or what you are targeting with this meme?…the irony of it sortof being that by implying ad hominem you are probably ‘ad hominem’ing’ ? 😅

There were plenty of reasonable arguments from both sides of the fence in this thread so far i think…people reasonably arguing why it sucks that it increased and people who reasonably argued why the increase isn't that bad all things considered. People arguing against other peoples arguments.
No one called anyone ‘dumb because reasons’ - or made any character assassinations? Sarcasm and bikehub forums are synonymous. Italics are important.

And if anything, most of the people here actively involved in ‘pseudo arguments’ all over the hub are all regulars who know not to take anything too seriously. This is like one big handbag party where we slap each other around sometimes. Masochists in that way.  Give each other crap on plenty of other threads, agree on some things, disagree on others. Come back for more lol.

Imo, a forum, or comment section of any sort -  and an isolated ‘snippet’ or snapshot of it can almost always be translated as an example of Ad hominem.

context is important. Not just the context of this specific thread either. 

Anyway. I don't agree.

YOU’RE dumb😋 (sarcasm)

Edited by MORNE

18 hours ago, ouzo said:

Wish my Gmail went far back enough, I think my first one I paid something like R175. 

Maybe some of the long time riders can tell us how the arrangements worked PRE-email ....

At a guess the first 10 rides certainly pre-dated emails, and even then it took a few years before emails became the norm.  EFT's and the like following much later ....

57 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe some of the long time riders can tell us how the arrangements worked PRE-email ....

At a guess the first 10 rides certainly pre-dated emails, and even then it took a few years before emails became the norm.  EFT's and the like following much later ....

Dug a bit in the archives for emails on my first one - got about 500 emails on the 2012 Argus with every detail you could wish for including payment confirmations but no mentions in any of those emails on the amount of the entry fee 🤣

fwiw the mtb argus that year was R275

Something else I remember is that bitching about the CTCT entry fee is an annual tradition on here as old as the hub itself, rivalled only by the complaints about the goodie bags

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I go back, but I dont go that far back.

When I entered my first one in 1998 for the 1999 event I already had a gmail account (gmail was by invitation only back then).

But I remember waiting patiently for my seeding and magazine in the post.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

It was a simple process.

Somewhere around October the year before The Argust (more formally known as the The Argus Rotary Cycle Tour) entry forms would be made available in the PPA Newsletter or at your nearest Bicycle Shop.

You would guard the piece of paper with your life as you contemplated the madness of cyclin all the way around the Cape Peninsula in a single day.

You would run to your mum (nobody asked their fathers for favours back then. The road to all favours was through your mother.) and ask her for a Parker Pen which would often solicit a snot klap or i she had woke tendencies,... a stern look. You see a Parker Pen was a direct descendant of the device NASA invented for its astronauts to write in space (while the Russians used a pencil). She would reach into her hand bag and hand over a Bic pen which you would safely tuck under our long sleeve shirt cuffs and run off the room to rear trhe latest PPA newsletter while filling in the Entry Form by hand.

With that done you now had two more important tasks..

1. Get your parents to sign the form and

2. write out a cheque for R50 to the Rotary Club of Rondebosch or was it Mowbray.....nevermind, or the alternative was to head down to the Post Office (yes they actually worked in those days) and buy a Money Order. You gave the cashier R50 and she/he would hand you a Post Office guaranteed cheque. ( I last used this facility when buying tools from Paul Morningstar in the US)

3. Once you had your Cheque/Money order you placed this into an envelope along with the entry form and mailed it to the rotary club.

4. About a month later you would receive a letter from the post man confirming your entry to The Argust.

You would now proceed to start training. This meant entering every single fun ride on the calendar for a Kings ransom of R10ea. The out cry when this was raised by 10 wilson blocks to R11.00 was staggering. The PPA letterbox was filled with paper letters of protest written in the Queens English. Since many of the Rotarians of the time were retired school teachers they spent much of their reading these protests and correcting the Ingrish to English before placing your corrected protest letter along with their polite reply back into an envelope and mailing it back to you.

Naturally by the time you got this reply you had calmed down and got on with the business of training. Your parents money spent, the reply was merely for info and confidence building before grade finals in November. it was good English practice. Win win.

Now at the fun rides you were timed by your group start time and the time recorded when you crossed the finish line. This timing was often undertaken by the same retired English School teacher who probably remembered your name as she did for the 10,000 other students who went through her class. If you gave her too much much work with your protest letters, further time penalty would be applied a the finish line so you sort of made sure she knew you appreciated her response and ingrish corrections. Win win..

Then there wouid be the summer break and everyone would be enjoying Christmas and New Years before the fun ride season resumed in January. By the 2nd to third week of Feb everyone who received and entry would be pacing up and down the drive waiting for the postman. You knew the day he had Argus Magazines and Number packs in his large letter bag because he'd drop everybody else's letter off and your last even if your house number was #1.

You'd run inside, turn on the wireless and wait for a lekker Rick Astley number to play on GoodHope Fm before opening the package. Your race number would be on the letter and there was a nice new PPA Magazine to peruse instead of doing homework.

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

It was a simple process.

Somewhere around October the year before The Argust (more formally known as the The Argus Rotary Cycle Tour) entry forms would be made available in the PPA Newsletter or at your nearest Bicycle Shop.

You would guard the piece of paper with your life as you contemplated the madness of cyclin all the way around the Cape Peninsula in a single day.

You would run to your mum (nobody asked their fathers for favours back then. The road to all favours was through your mother.) and ask her for a Parker Pen which would often solicit a snot klap or i she had woke tendencies,... a stern look. You see a Parker Pen was a direct descendant of the device NASA invented for its astronauts to write in space (while the Russians used a pencil). She would reach into her hand bag and hand over a Bic pen which you would safely tuck under our long sleeve shirt cuffs and run off the room to rear trhe latest PPA newsletter while filling in the Entry Form by hand.

With that done you now had two more important tasks..

1. Get your parents to sign the form and

2. write out a cheque for R50 to the Rotary Club of Rondebosch or was it Mowbray.....nevermind, or the alternative was to head down to the Post Office (yes they actually worked in those days) and buy a Money Order. You gave the cashier R50 and she/he would hand you a Post Office guaranteed cheque. ( I last used this facility when buying tools from Paul Morningstar in the US)

3. Once you had your Cheque/Money order you placed this into an envelope along with the entry form and mailed it to the rotary club.

4. About a month later you would receive a letter from the post man confirming your entry to The Argust.

You would now proceed to start training. This meant entering every single fun ride on the calendar for a Kings ransom of R10ea. The out cry when this was raised by 10 wilson blocks to R11.00 was staggering. The PPA letterbox was filled with paper letters of protest written in the Queens English. Since many of the Rotarians of the time were retired school teachers they spent much of their reading these protests and correcting the Ingrish to English before placing your corrected protest letter along with their polite reply back into an envelope and mailing it back to you.

Naturally by the time you got this reply you had calmed down and got on with the business of training. Your parents money spent, the reply was merely for info and confidence building before grade finals in November. it was good English practice. Win win.

Now at the fun rides you were timed by your group start time and the time recorded when you crossed the finish line. This timing was often undertaken by the same retired English School teacher who probably remembered your name as she did for the 10,000 other students who went through her class. If you gave her too much much work with your protest letters, further time penalty would be applied a the finish line so you sort of made sure she knew you appreciated her response and ingrish corrections. Win win..

Then there wouid be the summer break and everyone would be enjoying Christmas and New Years before the fun ride season resumed in January. By the 2nd to third week of Feb everyone who received and entry would be pacing up and down the drive waiting for the postman. You knew the day he had Argus Magazines and Number packs in his large letter bag because he'd drop everybody else's letter off and your last even if your house number was #1.

You'd run inside, turn on the wireless and wait for a lekker Rick Astley number to play on GoodHope Fm before opening the package. Your race number would be on the letter and there was a nice new PPA Magazine to peruse instead of doing homework.

I feel like I been Rickrolled after reading that!! 

Thanks @DieselnDust

Proper trip down memory lane ....

My last Postal order was in 2011, Department of Labour still insisted on this ....

Parker ..... still have my Parker in my office shirt pocket.

Radio .... neeeee sies man ..... Radio 5 back in the day

Most importantly .... a time when we had a fully functional Post Office .....

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Thanks @DieselnDust

Proper trip down memory lane ....

My last Postal order was in 2011, Department of Labour still insisted on this ....

Parker ..... still have my Parker in my office shirt pocket.

Radio .... neeeee sies man ..... Radio 5 back in the day

Most importantly .... a time when we had a fully functional Post Office .....

The Milk was delivered in a glass bottle by the Milkman long with your orange juice.

The dry cleaner picked up your old mans suits for cleaning and pressing in time for work.

and you knew them by name

but more especially, No one could pronounce Campagnolo Croce d'aune and the first who did got the import agency

Never mind a fully functional Post Office, Loadshedding wasn't even a made up word yet

Edited by DieselnDust

Just now, ouzo said:

was still a note back then too

When the Burger  newspaper "jumped" in price from 3c to 4c in 1978 my parents moaned as much as we do about the increase in the CTCT entry fee.

By 1976 the fuel prices jumped.  Just before that it was 8c a liter.

R2 was a significant amount back in 1978.