[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In for number 10

R755 is a bit steep(don't think I'm going to bother with lap 2). But given that most funrides are now somewhere between R400 and R500 nowadays I don't think the price is out of line for a one-off annual opportunity to ride around the peninsula on closed roads.

13 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Going for my 5th finish next year, after I had stomach issues on race day this year. Was tough to watch my father-in-law and pregnant wife ride off in the morning, but wasn't too sad when it started pouring.

Everything is more expensive currently, so expecting the cycle tour entries to stay the same is delusional at best.

The early bird entries vs later vs late entries is interesting though, I see a lot of races doing this nowadays, so it is interesting to see CTCT following suit

being an international entry with flights....then it really becomes expensive....I hope the wind doesn't blow as before...

Shame. We were 6, now we 3. If we do a breakdown, it would be ridiculous. We'll for the riders that can afford it without any issues, good luck. We will be cheering from the side. Was this not a charity event? Seems like a money event now. 

For the first time in well more than a decade, I am in a bit of an unusual position when it comes to deciding whether to enter or not. I am the only one of Team DJR who will be available to ride, come March. My older D is studying in Europe, and I don't know if he'll be able to come home then. My younger D is finishing his postgraduate studies at the end of this year and heading off, probably into Africa, afterwards. I'm not so sure I'm into riding this as a one man band anymore. It's a weird feeling to have after so many years of simply entering almost as per default setting. It was always the one day of the year that I could tell you exactly where I would be and what I would be doing.  I'll sleep on it I guess. Perhaps riding it alone again after all that time, will bring back memories of a much younger and faster me? I suppose I'll up the riding a bit ....... just to be ready for whatever!

Edited by DJR

On 9/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, Shebeen said:

ou are uninformed, it most definitely is a charity event.

You completely missed the point...

OTB: The teenage girls that used to peddle single roses at restaurants over week-ends also did it for "charity" (the blind?) - I am sure you always bought 10, to have a nice big bouquet for the missus - it is for charity after all?  

Edited by Akon

On 9/24/2022 at 8:16 AM, DJR said:

For the first time in well more than a decade, I am in a bit of an unusual position when it comes to deciding whether to enter or not. I am the only one of Team DJR who will be available to ride, come March. My older D is studying in Europe, and I don't know if he'll be able to come home then. My younger D is finishing his postgraduate studies at the end of this year and heading off, probably into Africa, afterwards. I'm not so sure I'm into riding this as a one man band anymore. It's a weird feeling to have after so many years of simply entering almost as per default setting. It was always the one day of the year that I could tell you exactly where I would be and what I would be doing.  I'll sleep on it I guess. Perhaps riding it alone again after all that time, will bring back memories of a much younger and faster me? I suppose I'll up the riding a bit ....... just to be ready for whatever!

Ride it for them and of course you’ll ride

and if you feel lonely chat to one of the 25 000 around you, fix punctures, push people up hills

all with be well in your world if you ride DJR

Not even going to complain. Simply will not be doing it. They are turning a family event (which most families' cannot afford anymore) into a race for the elite. 

3 hours ago, Akon said:

You completely missed the point...

OTB: The teenage girls that used to peddle single roses at restaurants over week-ends also did it for "charity" (the blind?) - I am sure you always bought 10, to have a nice big bouquet for the missus - it is for charity after all?  

ha ha, no luckily I knew one of those teenage girls so the scam was easy to see. Chuggers get stuffed, I wouldn't put CTCTT in this basket.

Okayyyyyyy .... :P

Entered :clap:

No use fretting about the stupid increase for the next few months and then entering at the last moment .... plaster ripped off, over and done.

Drove the route from Hospital bend to Fishhoek on Saturday, as a passenger.  Was eye opening to see and realise the roads we get to cycle that are otherwise not accessible to cyclists.  And the beautiful sections that are blocked off and safe for use on the day .....  Here is hoping we actually get to see the road next time round 

Racetech remembers almost all my previous registration details.  One interesting "change" in my data though .... it defaults me from an ebike back to an "normal entry".  Very easy to miss, as page after page reads the same ....

I know the whole "headline sponsor" story bla bla bla.

But just for informational purposes for those who don't really know and why people have every right to be fed up about the inflation of the entry fee every year (I'm pretty sure the CTCT also has more entrants) 

CTCT Entry - R755 - Winning Prize Money R45 000 Mens and R45 000 ladies (Total of R200 000 across all categories)

94.7 Entry - R625 - Winning Prize Money R200 000 each male and female. 2nd place R75 000 Male and female. 3rd place R15 000 male and female. (There is prize money all the way to 15th place, and then for other specific categories aswell  - https://ridejoburg.co.za/prize-money-947-ride-joburg/ )

It's no wonder why last years 94.7 saw the likes of Willie Smit, Reinhardt Janse Van Rensburg, Darryl Impey, Ashleigh Moolman Pasio to name but a few attending 94.7, and none of the above bothered with the CTCT.

52 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Racetech remembers almost all my previous registration details.  One interesting "change" in my data though .... it defaults me from an ebike back to an "normal entry".  Very easy to miss, as page after page reads the same ....

They are trying to give you a subtle message, but you do not seem to appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I know the whole "headline sponsor" story bla bla bla.

But just for informational purposes for those who don't really know and why people have every right to be fed up about the inflation of the entry fee every year (I'm pretty sure the CTCT also has more entrants) 

CTCT Entry - R755 - Winning Prize Money R45 000 Mens and R45 000 ladies (Total of R200 000 across all categories)

94.7 Entry - R625 - Winning Prize Money R200 000 each male and female. 2nd place R75 000 Male and female. 3rd place R15 000 male and female. (There is prize money all the way to 15th place, and then for other specific categories aswell  - https://ridejoburg.co.za/prize-money-947-ride-joburg/ )

It's no wonder why last years 94.7 saw the likes of Willie Smit, Reinhardt Janse Van Rensburg, Darryl Impey, Ashleigh Moolman Pasio to name but a few attending 94.7, and none of the above bothered with the CTCT.

I also get the feeling that 947 is making the effort to be great, to grow. I guess new sponsors always help.

Where as CTCT almost feels like the Toyota of the fun rides. Everyone knows we're great, they will keep coming.

Obviously this is not taking into account what goes on in the background.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

I also get the feeling that 947 is making the effort to be great, to grow. I guess new sponsors always help.

Where as CTCT almost feels like the Toyota of the fun rides. Everyone knows we're great, they will keep coming.

Obviously this is not taking into account what goes on in the background.

I agree 100%. Just get the feeling the CTCT are just using their reputation now. Almost get the sense it's not about the riders any more(maybe it never was and was used to make money and all, But it's getting kinda obvious now)