[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

"Charity" is no excuse for going from R650 to R750.  Even less so for going from R650 for a last minute entry to R 1495.  This FAR from a realistic increase !!

Hulle ruk die hoender !!

And still I will most likely enter in December at the R750, as it is a nice route.

Charity on its own ... I do various events during the year that support local charities.  So that argument only goes so far ....

in italics you are complaining about the increase

in bold you are happy with the price.

I guess in underlined you will be on the fence.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Shebeen said:

in italics you are complaining about the increase

in bold you are happy with the price.

I guess in underlined you will be on the fence.

Nice try .... :P

I may well ENTER at the R755 fee (will decide mid December, calender reminder already set).  Purely because I love the route and the vibe.

That certainly does NOT mean I "support" the percentage increase.

Uhm ... not really on the fence ... dont think so ... :P

- Event - YES, I want to ride CTCT23

- Increase - absurd

So why enter late ?

- I have previously entered other events early, to then have life happen and I could not attend.  So I prefer a late entry, knowing that often goes with a 10 to 15% premium.  Or if the cutoff is close enough, I make the call on the early entry.

Charity ....

- Pretty sure the event I am doing next month sees more of my money going to their local charities than CTCT, and their increase from last year is inflation related

- Every single MTB event we do in the Boland supports their local charities

19 hours ago, ouzo said:

spoken like someone thats not on a tight budget.

I'll find a way to enter, the same way I've found the funds to enter every year since 1999. Because I have a goal in place to do 21 before I'm 50.

But that does not mean I need to be happy with the entry fee.

I've got the same goal, 21 before my 60th. Only three to go. Was aiming at 21 in a row, but the two cancelled editions due to the Wind and Covid put a stop to that.

Actually @ShebeenI take offence with your posts.

Maybe the cost is justified. Maybe the costs would be higher if time etc. was not donated by some. But without having financials infront of us we are guessing.

The insinuation is that whatever is left over from the costs then goes to charity, and it probably does. But are there any checks in place to make sure the service providers billing the race are not taking the p$$ with their pricing ? And if they're not could they not have done better because its for charity ?

Like the cost of electricity, I can vote with my wallet and simply not pay it, but then I would not have electricity. I want electricity. The fact that I pay it does not mean I agree with the cost.

And its not like they are having to limit race entries anymore like they were 10 years ago when everything would be sold out within the first hour. Push the price up enough and you'll chase enough people away. 947 is already boasting largest timed cycling event, where as just a year or 2 back it was still second largest behind CTCT. 

The sliding scale on entry fees though I do agree with, planning and logistics needs to be done and the earlier they have the numbers the better they can plan.

Are we not allowed to voice our opinions anymore ? We know its not going to change the price, we will most like still enter.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

the year they turn 11. I now instantly realise I have the issue to decide if i need another bike before entering today

technically there is no decision because there are no choices other than:

A: YES

B: YES

C: YES

D: YES

even a monkey could get that puzzle right

☺️

Edited by MORNE

15 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Actually @ShebeenI take offence with your posts.

Maybe the cost is justified. Maybe the costs would be higher if time etc. was not donated by some. But without having financials infront of us we are guessing.

The insinuation is that whatever is left over from the costs then goes to charity, and it probably does. But are there any checks in place to make sure the service providers billing the race are not taking the p$$ with their pricing ? And if they're not could they not have done better because its for charity ?

Of course you can be offended. I'm not sure how much a R100 increase affects the total package in travelling from JHB for the trip, but it's surely not the dealbreaker.

I am not sure if the financials of the CTCT (who also own racetec, btw) are available, but PPA definitely are.

https://pedalpower.org.za/agm/

their income from CT cycle tour is

2018:R6.4m

2019:R2.4m

2020:R0

2021:R0.2m

2022:R0.2m

So before you moan about the increase in costs, maybe consider how the main beneficiary (and previous owner of the event) has now had to scramble to support all of their cycling initiatives and charities. 

Now if you're still pissed off, maybe go dig a bit deeper at the salaries and expenses. Then you sign up as a member of PPA and complain there.

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Of course you can be offended. I'm not sure how much a R100 increase affects the total package in travelling from JHB for the trip, but it's surely not the dealbreaker.

I am not sure if the financials of the CTCT (who also own racetec, btw) are available, but PPA definitely are.

https://pedalpower.org.za/agm/

their income from CT cycle tour is

2018:R6.4m

2019:R2.4m

2020:R0

2021:R0.2m

2022:R0.2m

So before you moan about the increase in costs, maybe consider how the main beneficiary (and previous owner of the event) has now had to scramble to support all of their cycling initiatives and charities. 

Now if you're still pissed off, maybe go dig a bit deeper at the salaries and expenses. Then you sign up as a member of PPA and complain there.

there you go again with the dont moan stuff.

B.T.W. I've been an up country PPA member since 1998.

In 1998 it helped me get a better start position as I was unseeded. Since then it has done nothing for me, but up until very recently I had to be a member just to enter CTCT.

Truth be told I don’t think the increase is outrageous. 
we’re in a high inflation environment with interest rates rising and diesel pricing forecast to remain high for a while. 
no sponsor to cover a significant portion of the costs plays a big role too.

do I like the increase? No

will i enter? Yes 

Which reminds  me

The entry is dirt cheap if you consider...

1. Take the wife out for a nice dinner
2. Kap a few brandy specials at the local pub
2. Buy a rugby ticket to watch the Boks
4, Go and watch an international band or just Die Polisiekarre
5. Order pizza's for the family
6. Etc...

You get what you pay for and you are paying to cycle in and around the most beautiful city in the world!

Stop moaning. 

PS. I don't know if I must underline, italic or bold anything anymore. 😉 

Just now, 'Dale said:

If you’re a local, it’s lekka

yeaaaaaah... last year wasn't so lekka, hopefully less rain this year ;)

...entered !

1 minute ago, 'Dale said:

If you’re a local, it’s lekka

If you need wings to get to the Cape, it can really hurt the wallet these days 

Let's HOPE airfare drops before then !!!

A return ticket was less than R3k in May 2022, now regularly between R6 and R7k.

20 minutes ago, throttles said:

let me leave this here..

image.png.e2c130e9a5599fb61a52d14837d9529b.png

please remember to also list the direct flights to these destinations that exclude 8 hour layovers in the crappy airports/countries that are painted on the aeroplanes lol....those where you have to sleep on the airport floor. Also, knock knock.....whos there? Visa. Visa who? ....ah you got deported because you dont have a Visa!

☺️