How to get more cyclists at Road races?

DroppedRider

Here in CT….have some races that are NOT run on THAT route that starts in or around wellington, or the ones which all start in durbieville. Hell, run them in reverse even but dear lord baby jebus…there has to be some variety

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I genuinely don't see the point of the vast majority of road races.

So you need to pay a R450+ entry to ride on roads that you can ride at any time for free, on routes that are also boring as hell (a number of races in GP are literally a handful of turns and gigantic, never-ending straights between them), on roads are still open to traffic (so no safety benefit). Everyone in every bunch is somehow racing their balls of for 300th place making it if anything less safe than just riding that boring ass loop on your own.

What's the value prop here?

The guys that do all of the local races are the same toppies that never miss a morning club ride and ride to do a sub-3 100km ride and are the only ones that give a ballsack about their times, every ****** year. For schmoe's like me I genuinely can't see the point.

The 947 is the only road ride I enter and look forward to, as you can't (well, shouldn't) ride on the M2 and Kyalami just on a random weekend. It's also an experience, with crowds and supporters and music etc. I don't give a crap what my time is, it's just a lekker thing to go and do with my wife on our tandem.

Then again, the same can be said for a lot of MTB races. I only enter something that I can't go and do whenever I want to, or that's somehow special in some way (Transbaviaans, Munga Grit). Same reason I'd never go to a restaurant and eat Spaghetti Bolognaise. I can make that **** at home.

Back to the topic - How about rethinking road rides as Events, and not Races. Make it something that's cool to do, just to say you did it, and make the "competition" more social. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't see any hillclimbs / crit's / parking garage races / wheelie competitions / single speed specific / racetrack races happening.

Edited by TyronLab

As far as I can tell the only way to get people to enter more road races is to get more people to actually ride on the road. In order to do a race event you need to train and as you said, the roads are a disaster and unsafe. I recently bought a road bike again after 7 years after taking up MTB but I already know the only time it will be used is in the Cradle, on a trainer and events like 947.  Its a pity because there were some really good road events like the Telkom Satellite Challenge, Race for victory, Dome 2 dome, Ride for sight, Bakwena Challenge etc. that were well worth doing in my opinion. Not sure which of those are even around still or what they're like now.

How to make road races more attractive, 

Let it take a turn onto a dirt road and add some good single track to really let the people have fun 🤣 

Disclaimer : don't know anything about road cycling, petrol is not that expensive and the people cycling on the road are really moody and want the whole road probably because they want to swerve around the little stone because the bike causes too much pain riding over anything 🤣

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

3 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Primarily cost and safety.

For your non main line events, you are still paying upwards of R400 to ride on roads that are full of potholes etc and playing dogems with all the taxis/trucks/cars/breakfast run motorbikes etc.

This. For me, it's the poor road conditions. 

2 hours ago, TyronLab said:

So you need to pay a R450+ entry to ride on roads that you can ride at any time for free, on routes that are also boring as hell (a number of races in GP are literally a handful of turns and gigantic, never-ending straights between them), on roads are still open to traffic (so no safety benefit). Everyone in every bunch is somehow racing their balls of for 300th place making it if anything less safe than just riding that boring ass loop on your own.

What's the value prop here?

The guys that do all of the local races are the same toppies that never miss a morning club ride and ride to do a sub-3 100km ride and are the only ones that give a ballsack about their times, every ****** year. For schmoe's like me I genuinely can't see the point.

The 947 is the only road ride I enter and look forward to, as you can't (well, shouldn't) ride on the M2 and Kyalami just on a random weekend. It's also an experience, with crowds and supporters and music etc. I don't give a crap what my time is, it's just a lekker thing to go and do with my wife on our tandem.

Then again, the same can be said for a lot of MTB races. I only enter something that I can't go and do whenever I want to, or that's somehow special in some way (Transbaviaans, Munga Grit). Same reason I'd never go to a restaurant and eat Spaghetti Bolognaise. I can make that **** at home.

Back to the topic - How about rethinking road rides as Events, and not Races. Make it something that's cool to do, just to say you did it, and make the "competition" more social. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't see any hillclimbs / crit's / parking garage races / wheelie competitions / single speed specific / racetrack races happening.

A local coach, former world class track rider called Jeremy Maartens is getting a crit series started. He's had a few (the first ones were in the Boksburg athletics parking lot, so that's covered lol), and has now moved to an industrial complex in Midrand. Beautifuly smooth roads, hard AF. 

Reduce the number of road races and make them really premium with full road closures, well thought-out routes that offers a challenge and decent scenery, Consider 2-day events (or even over a longer span), incentivise competitive riders with decent prize money / sponsorship benefits. 

TBH, road cycling is reflecting the poor state CSA and local governing bodies are in. On the MTB scene the “independent” and niche organisers seems to do very well. It is because there is perceived value. 

If I have to deal with oncoming traffic while dodging potholes in a bunch of 50+ riders, I’d much rather do a small group ride / go solo. 

7 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

Recently the Tour Durban organisers have mentioned due to the low turnout they may reconsider hosting the event next year. If I am not mistaken the turnout at most road events have been down post Covid. Looking at overseas events this looks like a common trend globally.

What strategy would you use to get more people at road events again? Put down even your bad ideas. 

Here are my (might be terrible) ideas. 

- A problem is that many possible entrants are too scared to train on the road. They also not that invested in the sport to get a R10K smart trainer. A possible solution is for event organisers to partner with gyms such as Virgin Active, Planet Fitness and encourage them to get Wattbike Atoms or cheap alternatives so more non cyclists can get into Zwift Racing and structured training. This will hopefully lure people into entering races. Spinning classes tailored for specific events could also be used 

- Another problem is what are the actual benefits of getting into Road Cycling considering the constraints (Roads are dangerous to train on, equipment is expensive, cyclists are perceived as not being very open to new comers). A possible solution is for Event Organisers, Local Bike Shops and Local clubs should sit down together with a marketing agency in a workshop to look at common strategic messaging to put out on social media in getting more people into cycling. 

- Lastly, and I know this might be a terrible idea. There are some very scenic roads around the country to do long ride training on the weekends. Could clubs not sit down on a WhatsApp group and pool their resources to say right this Sunday all clubs in a city are encouraged to do x,y,z route. We will have 5 follow cars for different average speeds once a weekend say on a Saturday. This way people might feels safer on the roads and be encouraged to take up cycling. 

What are your ideas? 

take economic growth from negative numbers to +3.5% + and all sports will see a growth in numbers

herewith my one liner for the day

Interesting discussion topic.

Considering that an XCO 20km or enduro 5km race entry now costs R400 in Gauteng, then paying R300-400 for a 100km road event is really good value. Albeit road closure events are even more expensive. Still those MTB events are seeing growth but still not nearly the numbers at road events - which still has the numbers.

The tendency to have organised club rides offering club members value is affecting both road and MTB. Maybe the races are loosing out on the social vibe offering?

Biggest challenge for road cycling is getting NEW people on the road, as @TyronLabsaid, its the old toppies still supporting road cycling.

Following this topic...

8 hours ago, Zeffer said:

Interesting discussion topic.

Considering that an XCO 20km or enduro 5km race entry now costs R400 in Gauteng, then paying R300-400 for a 100km road event is really good value. Albeit road closure events are even more expensive. Still those MTB events are seeing growth but still not nearly the numbers at road events - which still has the numbers.

The tendency to have organised club rides offering club members value is affecting both road and MTB. Maybe the races are loosing out on the social vibe offering?

Biggest challenge for road cycling is getting NEW people on the road, as @TyronLabsaid, its the old toppies still supporting road cycling.

Following this topic...

I do both, and not competitively necessarily. Road ‘events’ i do because it allows me to do the routes in a group…as i cant ride most of them on my own. Well you can, but yea - RSA. 
MTB events are ALOT more for the vibe imo. The only ‘road race’ that has the same vibe imo is the CTCT (in my pool of events) - as in people just enjoying the day on their bikes, having fun, talking k@k, sharing stories.

Sure you have the pointy end at any event…but generally speaking i think mtb events are alot more social. Im not talking about the cape epic…just a normal run of the mill weekend bash.
Midpack roadies are VERY serious people imo lol. No speaking allowed. You wont sommer make friends at a road event i think. The most words you’ll say at a road event is to the marshals/pointsmen or people manning the water stations.
On the contrary, i made a few new riding friends at the last mtb event i took part in.
There’s still a camaraderie in mtb’ng in that sense…that ‘we are in this together vibe’ and the fact that you are there already makes you part of the group.

a roadie will leave you for dead next to the road because he’ll beat his PB by 2 seconds😅

my reply does not help add to ROAD riding, but 15 years back, myself (CPT) and a JHB chap (Ivan Blumenthal?) planned a Cyclocross SERIES of races (4 LATE JHB SUMMER, then five in CT WINTER….) on ‘road’ bikes, 1 hour loop, with French Fries truck, Beer truck, and place for families to watch the races from…

This was to put VARIETY back into cycling on a ROAD bike, without buying the then-near-unobtainable (and costly) CX bikes…

think of it as road bikes, with wider tyres, MTB-style cleats, AND LITTLE ELSE…

Was meant to be family-centric, time-constrained, and…FUN, but using an adapted road bike…

I think then - and now - there was an unmet need to get more use out of a regular road bike, in safety, for very low cost…

the JHB chap, Ivan, had to pull out at planning stage, and shortly thereafter I got posted overseas…

but THIS would get me excited…

Chris

Edited by Zebra
Clarity…

4 minutes ago, Zebra said:

my reply does not help add to ROAD riding, but 15 years back, myself (CPT) and a JHB chap planned Cyclocross, on ‘road’ bikes, 1 hour loop, with French Fries truck, Beer truck, and place for families to watch the races from…

This was to put VARIETY back into cycling on a ROAD bike, without buying the then-near-unobtainable (and costly) CX bikes…

think of it as road bikes, with wider tyres, MTB-style cleats, AND LITTLE ELSE…

Was meant to be family-centric, time-constrained, and…FUN, but using an adapted road bike…

I think then - and now - there was an unmet need to get more use out of a regular road bike, in safety, for very low cost…

the JHB chap, Ivan, had to pull out at planning stage, and shortly thereafter I got posted overseas…

but THIS would get me excited…

Chris

Yeah man. I've been getting into CX on YouTube and it looks fun as balls. Very much something you could do with a couple of mates and family for fun on a Saturday morning/evening. Keep it short, with a couple of heats maybe and not one long race (similar to Rallycross). 

Considering the vast majority of MTB-ers in GP don't even want to get their MTBs muddy ever, I somehow doubt they'd want to "abuse" their road bikes. Still, could be a really fun time.

14 hours ago, TyronLab said:

So you need to pay a R450+ entry to ride on roads that you can ride at any time for free, on routes that are also boring as hell (a number of races in GP are literally a handful of turns and gigantic, never-ending straights between them), on roads are still open to traffic (so no safety benefit). 

Yes, for the race snakes it doesn't matter that much, but when you're riding for 300th position, what is the point of entering a race to ride on open roads that you can ride any day of the week in better conditions. You're right. Problem is when they actually make nice routes with iconic passes, then the average rider complains that the climbs are too hard. Last year the 99er was stripped of the main climb, and the finish was moved down to also be easier 🙄 Might as well think the route to either be a tailwind or a decent and stick to a 50km route for all then ;)

16 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Yes, for the race snakes it doesn't matter that much, but when you're riding for 300th position, what is the point of entering a race to ride on open roads that you can ride any day of the week in better conditions. You're right. Problem is when they actually make nice routes with iconic passes, then the average rider complains that the climbs are too hard. Last year the 99er was stripped of the main climb, and the finish was moved down to also be easier 🙄 Might as well think the route to either be a tailwind or a decent and stick to a 50km route for all then ;)

To be fair, That wasn't because of complaining about the hill i think…and more because vissershok road wont look too out of place at next years’s cape epic…

Maybe someone on the ‘route committee’ has very expensive carbon wheels that are not conducive to navigating potholes😅

that road is a mess.

Ps: i think it’s just easier to have the end of the race in a place that inconveniences the locals the least…like a school or just on the outskirts. Minimises traffic and resident aggro. I can think the finish up odendaal rd might have had some residents’ panties in a bunch in that regard.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I do both, and not competitively necessarily. Road ‘events’ i do because it allows me to do the routes in a group…as i cant ride most of them on my own. Well you can, but yea - RSA. 
MTB events are ALOT more for the vibe imo. The only ‘road race’ that has the same vibe imo is the CTCT (in my pool of events) - as in people just enjoying the day on their bikes, having fun, talking k@k, sharing stories.

Sure you have the pointy end at any event…but generally speaking i think mtb events are alot more social. Im not talking about the cape epic…just a normal run of the mill weekend bash.
Midpack roadies are VERY serious people imo lol. No speaking allowed. You wont sommer make friends at a road event i think. The most words you’ll say at a road event is to the marshals/pointsmen or people manning the water stations.
On the contrary, i made a few new riding friends at the last mtb event i took part in.
There’s still a camaraderie in mtb’ng in that sense…that ‘we are in this together vibe’ and the fact that you are there already makes you part of the group.

a roadie will leave you for dead next to the road because he’ll beat his PB by 2 seconds😅

A midpack roadie stopping at a water point ... Mon Dieu

My riding/racing being on hold for a while I don't have much to say to this subject but your response reminds me of that time my boet and I asked 'what happens if we get a puncture' (was related to tubbies) and the rider told us in a serious tone 'that's when we attack' ...

Ok it was at the ladies and vets tour not just any old 'mix batch race'