Assaulted by fellow cyclist- Cradle 6 November

Ispeed_V

I live in the 'burbs in Fourways. Tranquil, green and restorative is my garden. Head out onto Witkoppen and the madness gets into my head space. For our safety and sanity my wife and I have made the decision to move to Grahamstown, small enough yet big enough. I will walk to work and walk home for lunch. Road, gravel and trail excursions into the surrounding African bush in solitude or with unstressed likeminded people await. Sorry for you Gauteng, I'm out too...

FWIW I also could have been bliksemed by the likes of the perp sought here, as roadhogging bunches, or tyre fixers who do their fixing in the marked cycling lanes, are a pet hate of mine, and I'll also remonstrate with self entitled types.

I'll miss the Cradle for the odd early weekday peace, but not on Saturdays when I give it a wide berth. Peace out

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, V18 said:

All these excerpts makes me wonder if the road environment doesn't do something to one's mental state. On the trails I'm usually happy as a clam and very relaxed, as are fellow riders.

On the road on my morning commute, everyone is in such a foul mood and quick to anger. Myself included. It's contagious!

Would really be worth a psychology paper or two. "intermittent explosive asphalt syndrome".  

nope, just people in general, not necessarily road users.

My wife pointed out to a few mtb riders who were on the running path not the mtb path on the spruit a few years back. The ladies response was "f.... off c.... we have always ridden here" and much like the way the worst drivers in the world can be spotted outside schools at pick up time. They had a child in the group, so the next generation is also in for fun and games.

Part of the reason we left the city, too many idiots. On the farm we can hide and deal with less traffic and less people. The issues in the cradle always arise in the months leading up to 94,7. The issues on chappies are worst in the lead up to ctct. More people, more issues.

27 minutes ago, dave303e said:

The ladies response was "f.... off c.... we have always ridden here"...

Joh! Such a sharp and ugly word, and from a ""lady"" at that?!!

(if that is the word she used... can't think of many other options... carrot? cow? clown?)

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

A Facebook memory that popped up. Given the direction this thread went I think it’s appropriate. 
image.png.85b0bc6430b8219bf89e173167223a24.png

It’s always amusing how people tend to push others to breaking point, and then retaliate by playing the victim and demonizing the very same  person they continually antagonized.

Seeing where this post has gone in terms of comments, I really respect those hubbers that have admitted to having inner demons and who have worked hard to keep those demons in check. Albeit not being easy.

With there still being no leads with regards to this coward, part of me wishes that he will one day be on the receiving end of what he did to me, only 100 times worse.

That said, and knowing that I am the better person, I really hope that this guy (should he be following this thread_ Which I am sure he is) takes heed from what some of the comments have said, realizes that he has major anger issues and seeks help before he does something with more severe consequences.

Edited by FondTF2

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Seeing where this post has gone in terms of comments, I really respect those hubbers that have admitted to having inner demons and who have worked hard to keep those demons in check. Albeit not being easy.

With there still being no leads with regards to this coward, part of me wishes that he will one day be on the receiving end of what he did to me, only 100 times worse.

That said, and knowing that I am the better person, I really hope that this guy (should he be following this thread_ Wich I am sure he is) takes heed from what some of the comments have said, realizes that he has major anger issues and seeks help before he does something with more severe consequences.

you're a good man,

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 1:53 PM, FondTF2 said:

That said, and knowing that I am the better person, I really hope that this guy (should he be following this thread_ Which I am sure he is) takes heed from what some of the comments have said, realizes that he has major anger issues and seeks help before he does something with more severe consequences.

Going to rereply here. I guess despite the high traffic of this incident, it has gone cold and that is that pretty much. My final thoughts then.

a)I hope you did get some trauma counselling, even if you didn't think you needed it. From personal experience very important to get an incident like this addressed professionally otherwise it could haunt you down the line. There is no shame in this.

b)I take a lot of positives out of how the community reacted in general. This problem is a fraction of the people who ride. Most people are lekker.

c)I really felt this one would turn up. With cctv and gps rides i really thought there would be some solid data to go on. Makes you a bit nervous to see how an incident like this in a very public place can disappear in the wind like a fart. 

d) I can understand the motive for why the perpetrator wants to stay low, he gets away with it. I'm perplexed by his friends who must have been aware of what transpired who have seemingly kept tjoepstil. 

e) @FondTF2has handled this horrible scenario like an absolute gentleman.

Thank you Shebeen.

Trauma counseling has been a definite win and has really helped me and the family move forward.

The one thing that still haunts me is the fact that this guy's friends (on the premise that they know what he did) are willing to protect him. Gives new meaning to the so called 'Bro' code.

I have been really amazed by the support of the community and the lengths that some hubbers have gone to in trying to assist with trying to find the perp. Won't mention names, but you know who you are and once again thanks.

Hopefully Karma will prevail or like I said in a previous post, this guy will look to seek help for his anger management issues.