Nothing to see here

RobertWhitehead

14 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

In the spirit of it being Friday and all, I made contact with this seller the moment he listed his bike for sale: 
https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/602619/26-orbea-occam-mountain-bike 

I said to him that I believe his price had one too many 0's, as I honestly believed it to be a typo (Original listing price: R30 000.00) He replied and said that he does not know why the price needs any adjustment as the bike is in great condition and there's nothing wrong with its performance.

And here I thought I was pointing out a typo only to have struck a hornets nest :oops:

So Mr @DamienB I apologise for believing your bike to be of lesser value than what you rate it to be. So in the spirit of Ubuntu and Democracy and all other warm and fuzzy kumba ya movements I have decided to create this thread so that other folks can also weigh in on what they believe the value of your bike is. 

What is the point of this post? To shame, belittle or? The seller for the price he was asking? He can ask 1000000ZAR if he wants, if you don’t want to buy it at that price then go find it cheaper somewhere else. You have no right to ask other to weigh in what the value is for the seller; unless he asked you. Which he clearly did not. 

Delete the post and send your apologies to the seller for being a a dick. 

14 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

In the spirit of it being Friday and all, I made contact with this seller the moment he listed his bike for sale: 
https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/602619/26-orbea-occam-mountain-bike 

I said to him that I believe his price had one too many 0's, as I honestly believed it to be a typo (Original listing price: R30 000.00) He replied and said that he does not know why the price needs any adjustment as the bike is in great condition and there's nothing wrong with its performance.

And here I thought I was pointing out a typo only to have struck a hornets nest :oops:

So Mr @DamienB I apologise for believing your bike to be of lesser value than what you rate it to be. So in the spirit of Ubuntu and Democracy and all other warm and fuzzy kumba ya movements I have decided to create this thread so that other folks can also weigh in on what they believe the value of your bike is. 

Maybe it's how you said it not what. Would it not have been better to ask that tell? 

I feel sorry for the newbie to the sport or the person that does not have the knowledge that most of us have. Going to lay out 20 or 30k on a bike that clearly is only valued around 4k. Yes do your homework ask questions but we need ro help out both sides buyers and sellers.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I feel sorry for the newbie to the sport or the person that does not have the knowledge that most of us have. Going to lay out 20 or 30k on a bike that clearly is only valued around 4k. Yes do your homework ask questions but we need ro help out both sides buyers and sellers.

I have experienced this often. Friends of friends just bought a bike and way overpayed for a 10 year old hardtail when they could of bought a 5 year old dual suspension for the same price with better parts. Anyway it is what it is, until the newbies  also realise to seek advice first the circle will continue.

18 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Blah

Why the edit? Take the flack and move on. You made your point and i think most on the hub who know you or have been a recipient of your generosity know exactly what you were getting at. 

4 minutes ago, WernerStrydom said:

This is a good laugh 😂 

Thought id try take the edge off this thread for the sake of @RobertWhitehead - Eish too late.

Love em or hate em, the comments in the classifieds used to help newbs adjust their ads, now its just driven to abuse.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Why the edit? Take the flack and move on. You made your point and i think most on the hub who know you or have been a recipient of your generosity know exactly what you were getting at. 

Thank you Barry, yes, I changed the thread as people are under the impression that I originally posted it to make the seller look like a tit. I made the post to get other opinions on what his bike was worth as my opinion did not bear any fruit.

I made contact with the seller on quite a few occasions and I wanted to get other opinions to assist him in aligning his bike to the actual market value. I even shared links with him of other similar bikes with better parts to get across to him.

This also did not help. So ya, each to their own and all of that. He can ask whatever he wants but you know what irks me: It is exactly what Eddy mentioned, this sport is still fairly small and the industry as a whole really takes a knock if a bike like what I've pointed out gets sold at that price. Imagine any one of us were on the receiving end of that? You will almost never go cycling again. But ok, maybe I am being dramatic, I cannot imagine that the seller is totally oblivious to the value of his bike.