Specialized gives ambassadors the boot

stringbean

Lots of tears and violins playing the way Spez have given their ambassadors (I see sponges) the boot.In an environment where manufacturers are struggling just to supply stock I’m  not surprised they can no longer give freebies away or have they just realised influers and likes don’t bring in sales.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/dumped-per-phone-email-or-simply-ghosted-specializeds-sudden-termination-of-its-ambassador-program?fbclid=IwAR1ufLcyOEpX2QIBLzC4pqHhuiSK5WsosgSNlt9fPiB13migGuJPNB4BPJc

Edited by stringbean

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Ambassadors amd pro Athletes aren't the same thing 

You can bet top dollar the Spez team will still be well represented at the WC this year

Indeed , mr Vidaurre Kossman will be replacing mr Sarrou.

Spez popularity in South America about to take off

15 hours ago, Christie said:

🤔

Who were  their local "media athletes"?

I know the trail builders Hylton Turvey and Bennet Nel are. Hope for their sakes it is still case for next year. 

There’s a far better piece from Velo News on this topic. 
At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what one’s personal opinion on brand ambassadors is.
The fact is that there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things, including business. Essentially ghosting people is a **** move, full stop. The Moving the Needle Podcast touched on this industry practice recently. 

https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel/adventure-no-more-specialized-ends-contracts-with-dozens-of-paid-ambassadors/

Edited by Danger Dassie

Just now, PhilipV said:

I know the trail builders Hylton Turvey and Bennet Nel are. Hope for their sakes it is still case for next year. 

Likely they’ll move under a local/shop programme.

The Efficient\Liqui Moly setup with Sam Sanders and Kim Le Court have a similar deal with their Specialized LBS for bikes.

It's understandable that brands from time to time need to change their strategy and make cuts. At the end of the day, most companies aim to be profitable, and changes are inevitable to help achieve this.

What is not great in this situation is, how it was done. It's a rubbish move to leave riders scrambling to find new brands to align with at such a late stage of the year. Imagine if employers were just allowed to terminate employment contracts when it suited them with no notice. Can't help but feel for these guys.

4 minutes ago, renayg said:

It's understandable that brands from time to time need to change their strategy and make cuts. At the end of the day, most companies aim to be profitable, and changes are inevitable to help achieve this.

What is not great in this situation is, how it was done. It's a rubbish move to leave riders scrambling to find new brands to align with at such a late stage of the year. Imagine if employers were just allowed to terminate employment contracts when it suited them with no notice. Can't help but feel for these guys.

Indeed. It just reeks of bad corporate culture.

33 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

The fact is that there’s a right way and a wrong way to do things, including business. Essentially ghosting people is a **** move, full stop.

27 minutes ago, renayg said:

Imagine if employers were just allowed to terminate employment contracts when it suited them with no notice. Can't help but feel for these guys.

Agreed. But in America employment law is brutal and this sort of thing appears to be fairly common behaviour. Specialized are in Silicon Valley after all, the land of mass abrupt firings right now.

it's bad enough if your mate ghosts you for a ride on the last minute never mind your employer... 

Nothing new here.

Sorry but ALL business are there to make money.Of course the influencers are going to go on about how they add value,blah blah blah but Covid has made business take a good hard look at value of ALL employees.

Those around here long enough will remember when Cannondale agency went from CCS to Omnico it was relayed with a 2 line mail.That after 20 odd years.

Thats brutal.