What events are you doing in 2023?

Mamil

To be fair by the looks and sounds of it most people on here are going through some sort of crisis with all their personal tickbox races. The amount of money spent on races is an egotistical wealthy thing to be doing anyway in it's own way 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Main events I am planning my year around

Karoo Burn in February

Swartberg Gran Fondo in April

A newish 3 day gravel race in Gansbaai in June (if it happens)

Desert Dash in December 

with some of the usual & smaller events inbetween.

What's that event in Gansbaai that might be happening? Sounds interesting. Also, there's a lot of nasty sand around Gansbaai and baardskeerders ....

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I look at it very differently, climbing Everest these days is a lame* thing to do. Probably the most vain thing possible for mankind (a very hard list to top) with an endless string of wealthy ego driven chops paying their way on the (figurative) backs of poor Sherpas.

but hey, if you are so attached to the name Everest, don't forget that the colonial surveyor who gives it his name never even climbed it himself, in fact he never even saw it.

And no, I haven't climbed Everest, nor have i even done a cycling one; but I know what I'm talking about as I shook Sir Ed's hand and even got a picture in the paper to prove it (true story!).

* I'm referring to the w@nkers who decide it's something they want to do as some sort of midlife crisis tickbox. The true alpinists who have a lifetime in the sport and guide them or do legit expeditions have my utmost respect. but they should be on Lhotse or K2 or other less tourist places really anyway. 

Those are excellent points ja. I recall reading about the tonnes of litter and abandoned gear on Everest that is the detritus of those expeditions.

Not tonnes, but yes there is litter. It's been cleaned up a lot in the last 2 seasons. Gear, not so much as that gets redistributed amongst the locals. On some peaks, like Denali, you get fined if you do not hand your sh!t back to the parks people when you exit. 

Reminds me of that litter point on the Monte race in a world heritage area that turned out to be a dump zone and not sorted out timeously. 

Wood for the trees lads, wood for the trees

Edited by 117

12 hours ago, Mamil said:

What's that event in Gansbaai that might be happening? Sounds interesting. Also, there's a lot of nasty sand around Gansbaai and baardskeerders ....

This was last year https://www.entryninja.com/events/77479-yeti-3-day-gravel-race

Looks very chilled, the type of event I like to do in winter when I'm also taking it way easier on the training. Entry also cheap so happy to take a chance on this one

But I haven't seen any indication on whether it will happen again in 2023

16 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

To be fair by the looks and sounds of it most people on here are going through some sort of crisis with all their personal tickbox races. The amount of money spent on races is an egotistical wealthy thing to be doing anyway in it's own way 

Hold on, the money spent on races is the egotistical wealthy thing? I always thought it was the spending money on bikes that outweigh the yearly income of most of our population that was the egotistical wealthy thing. . . . Or the bib shorts that cost more than most people's monthly income. . . Or the water bottle that is the same as someone's day wage. . . .

To be fair, if these people really want to do a race, and have to capital to do it, then why not? Crisis or not, what difference does it actually make in the grand scheme of your existence?

I haven't seen anybody say they are planning to do the Epic or something. . . .

16 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

what a weird Friday troll comment! Maybe go peepee on another thread 😙

4 hours ago, Skubarra said:

This was last year https://www.entryninja.com/events/77479-yeti-3-day-gravel-race

Looks very chilled, the type of event I like to do in winter when I'm also taking it way easier on the training. Entry also cheap so happy to take a chance on this one

But I haven't seen any indication on whether it will happen again in 2023

Looks nice but pricey if you're not keen on the rock concert. If there's a cheaper option without the concert attached I would be keen.

21 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Going to do even more stage races now

5 hours ago, Jase619 said:

I haven't seen anybody say they are planning to do the Epic or something. . . .

Doing an Everest, or whatever it should be called, is an epic adventure in itself. But it’s not The Epic, unless fuelling for an Everest is very expensive. Imagine the cost of using Woolies organic bananas, those expensive gels, etc. 😁🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Heeldrop said:

I create my own events spend money on my bike and gear that I keep forever and determine my own level of challenge

its been good so far...................

Outside is free

Its great yes, I also sometimes prefer to do my own thing and have done great trips that cannot be replicated with an (affordable at least) organised event. Other times its nice to have the convenience of just paying a bit extra, rock up with your bike, ride and not be concerned about figuring out stuff like logistics or where food or water is going to come from. I do less events than before but for me the affordable ones certainly have places in my calendar.

24 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Its great yes, I also sometimes prefer to do my own thing and have done great trips that cannot be replicated with an (affordable at least) organised event. Other times its nice to have the convenience of just paying a bit extra, rock up with your bike, ride and not be concerned about figuring out stuff like logistics or where food or water is going to come from. I do less events than before but for me the affordable ones certainly have places in my calendar.

I also find people (my friends) find it easier to commit to an event over a recreational day. It's 'a thing' as opposed to an option.

Basic perception and priority I guess, but trying to get a few mates together for an epic all day trail ride in Jonkers is like herding kittens.... Jonkers Enduro? Everyone is in.

Playing sheep is sometimes nice too. Throw in some healthy car park competition and it's worth it.