Peter Sagan retiring from WorldTour at end of season

peepeekaitjie

17 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Think the guy (Back Left) is his coach (Patxi Villa) - From Bhora days

Front left looks to be Benno  Willeit from Specialized Factory Racing.

Open to correction though

Guy at the right Bobby Behen from Spez perhaps.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

From left- Benno Willeit, Patxi Villa, Bobby Behan, Peter Sagan. 

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

So many cycling fans were butt hurt by this move because he then could take a shorter line around a roundabout and won the race. The man thinks quickly and seizes opportunities were  others only see problems

he was always going to win that one against nibbles and rigo, saw the wind the whole way to the line just had to get there before the pack.

A well edited 90minute Sagan cycling highlights reel would be incredible watching. you could dedicate a good 15 minutes to how many times without a leadout train he surfed wheels to victory and another to that stretch of second places without a win.

maybe wait and see if there's no mtb high jinks coming this year first.

just leave this one for the credit reel

29 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

From left- Benno Willeit, Patxi Villa, Bobby Behan, Peter Sagan. 

smart move from Spez to keep him in the stable. He must have indirectly sold a lot of bikes over the years

3 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Patxi is back this year with Bora as a sports director 

the last few years of Peter’s career at Bora he was coached by Sylvester Schmidt 

Edited by J Wakefield

52 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

smart move from Spez to keep him in the stable. He must have indirectly sold a lot of bikes over the years

Ja, really represents himself and his sponsors well. Conrad Stoltz is another athlete who I remember as being a completely authentic and loyal representative of the brand. The Caveman was always approachable and sincere with the S products. Still is.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Ja, really represents himself and his sponsors well. Conrad Stoltz is another athlete who I remember as being a completely authentic and loyal representative of the brand. The Caveman was always approachable and sincere with the S products. Still is.

I reluctantly query this 

Do we all choose to forget he was arrested for being in a scooter accident while wasted not many days before the start of the TDF and other drunken issues and scuffles with Police?

He injured police officers and was handed a suspended 3 month prison sentence in separate incidents.

I love the guy, but he seems to have gotten off lightly with the public due to his likeable personality and winningest history.

The latter part of his career has been a bit of a shambles, not all of it out of his control.

Other, less popular riders would never be able to retire without having that sort of dirty laundry aired every second post.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:25 PM, Jewbacca said:

I reluctantly query this 

Do we all choose to forget he was arrested for being in a scooter accident while wasted not many days before the start of the TDF and other drunken issues and scuffles with Police?

He injured police officers and was handed a suspended 3 month prison sentence in separate incidents.

I love the guy, but he seems to have gotten off lightly with the public due to his likeable personality and winningest history.

The latter part of his career has been a bit of a shambles, not all of it out of his control.

Other, less popular riders would never be able to retire without having that sort of dirty laundry aired every second post.

Sure the guys had a few run ins but you need to dive into the guys history of on bike performances. We are at stage that no rider for another 50 years will do what his done. Yes, his celebrity of the sport and done the odd mad thing, but last I checked.. his still a legend. But if his around the WC, I hope you see him in a group ride…. and let’s see if you can hold his wheel while he munches on an energy bar…🤓

7 minutes ago, betaboy said:

Sure the guys had a few run ins but you need to dive into the guys history of on bike performances. We are at stage that no rider for another 50 years will do what his done. Yes, his celebrity of the sport and done the odd mad thing, but last I checked.. his still a legend. But if his around the WC, I hope you see him in a group ride…. and let’s see if you can hold his wheel while he munches on an energy bar…🤓

He was caught driving a scooter 6x over the legal limit 5 weeks before the TDF and even closer to other pretty big races. This is after a fairly torrid time in which he had injured police officers and had various run ins with the law while intoxicated and breaking curfew.

This is not the behaviour of someone 100% dedicated to his trade nor an impeccable representation for his sponsors.

I'm saying this is glossed over MORE than misdemeanors of other pro's who are less successful and appear less likeable.

Freddie Flintoff will forever be remembered for sinking his pedal boat while drunk, even Tiger Woods can't be spoken about without people bringing up his DUI's and car accident. But us, as cycling fans, seem to be very forgiving of Sagan for whatever reason.

The last few years of his career were not particularly fruitful for a man of his talents, which, along with the drinking, points to someone who wasn't fully invested in what he was doing.

Can I keep up with him on a bike while he munches an energy bar? No. But he probably can't do my job as well as I can while I eat a piece of cake and drink tea. That isn't relevant. 

My point is the selective forgetfulness

I see him like that fun uncle or parent's friend who snuck you sweeties and told you dirty jokes before you were 'old enough'.. He will be remembered fondly by pretty much everyone despite the last while of his career being a shambles

47 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

He was caught driving a scooter 6x over the legal limit 5 weeks before the TDF and even closer to other pretty big races. This is after a fairly torrid time in which he had injured police officers and had various run ins with the law while intoxicated and breaking curfew.

This is not the behaviour of someone 100% dedicated to his trade nor an impeccable representation for his sponsors.

I'm saying this is glossed over MORE than misdemeanors of other pro's who are less successful and appear less likeable.

Freddie Flintoff will forever be remembered for sinking his pedal boat while drunk, even Tiger Woods can't be spoken about without people bringing up his DUI's and car accident. But us, as cycling fans, seem to be very forgiving of Sagan for whatever reason.

The last few years of his career were not particularly fruitful for a man of his talents, which, along with the drinking, points to someone who wasn't fully invested in what he was doing.

Can I keep up with him on a bike while he munches an energy bar? No. But he probably can't do my job as well as I can while I eat a piece of cake and drink tea. That isn't relevant. 

I see him like that fun uncle or parent's friend who snuck you sweeties and told you dirty jokes before you were 'old enough'.. He will be remembered fondly by pretty much everyone despite the last while of his career being a shambles

Is prefer to only see what he did for the sport, his had a tough time dealing with his fame at a young age. I can’t really point fingers at him. He easily could derailed it all like JU, but he didn’t. Sure towards the end of all amazing riders the game changes. Just look at the racing stats on pro crashes, huge increases from year to year. His voiced his concern several times about the high risks riders are doing, and sub average UCI Finish lines. His done well as one does as you wind down your career. The man still has an engine… and I’m sure his numbers are still healthy IMHO And his not completely done… let’s just hope his past mistakes are just that.

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

He never hid this fact. He seemed to give less f**ks as the years went on. His "why so serious" tattoo is testement to that.

34 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

He never hid this fact. He seemed to give less f**ks as the years went on. His "why so serious" tattoo is testement to that.

Yes.... Giving no F**ks, being caught breaking the law multiple times, drunk mid season before a GT, handed a suspended prison sentence etc show exactly how many Fs he gave.

BUT people still say 'he was a top pro and a sponsors dream'.... which he wasn't, or that behaviour certainly wouldn't be seen as such if it were another cyclist.

31 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Yes.... Giving no F**ks, being caught breaking the law multiple times, drunk mid season before a GT, handed a suspended prison sentence etc show exactly how many Fs he gave.

BUT people still say 'he was a top pro and a sponsors dream'.... which he wasn't, or that behaviour certainly wouldn't be seen as such if it were another cyclist.

I'm assuming you not inviting him to a braai while he's here?