Best vehicle for bikes

Rgans

Anyone selling their car? I am a student looking to buy my first car. I am looking for a car that is cheap on the road (reliable and fuel efficient). The problem is that those cars are typically small and uncapable of transporting bikes. Any ideas for which cars/small panel vans to look at. My budget is between R100k and R150k. 

Owning a VW caddy is the dream, however, getting one with low km's within my budget is impossible. I am browsing through gumtree and marketplace but most caddy deals seam a bit suspicious. Not interested in buying a caddy that was previously drove/abused by some courier guy. Any advice on alternative vehicles or deals to look at?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While others may disagree, I have enjoyed my Diesel Duster.

Goes at 19km to the litre, has reasonably good support through Motus and haven't been at all let down by it on the road.

It managed to get 4 people, 4 bikes and a fully loaded roof/inside out of Lesotho in a snow storm.

It is huge inside and will often come with a factory fitted tow bar.

You should be able to get a really nice on within your budget.

I have a caddy maxi and it really is a superb vehicle. Parts, servicing and fuel costs are negligible and it has tons of space.

They're not the most refined vehicle, but every time I think of upgrading to an SUV, the practicality wins me over again.

Your are right though, they're very difficult to find with low mileage and not abused. Prices have also gone up a lot. Mine is now worth a fair deal more than I paid for it 4 years ago.

Good luck with your search

17 minutes ago, babse said:

As a student, I'd buy a polo (fairly reliable) around 80k. Get decent roof rack/bike carrier and rest of budget goes to bike upgrades...

Hahaha 

The polo is a good suggestion, but the insurance prices is very high for students.

2 hours ago, Rgans said:

Anyone selling their car? I am a student looking to buy my first car. I am looking for a car that is cheap on the road (reliable and fuel efficient). The problem is that those cars are typically small and uncapable of transporting bikes. Any ideas for which cars/small panel vans to look at. My budget is between R100k and R150k. 

Owning a VW caddy is the dream, however, getting one with low km's within my budget is impossible. I am browsing through gumtree and marketplace but most caddy deals seam a bit suspicious. Not interested in buying a caddy that was previously drove/abused by some courier guy. Any advice on alternative vehicles or deals to look at?

Probably something like a corsa utility. Absolutely BOMBPROOF motor, can fit 5 or so bikes in the back, and it has pretty good fuel economy.

Honda Jazz, seats drop flat with one button, I fit 2 bikes with everything for a 3 day event for 2 easily. There's more than enough tie'down hooks so bike/bikes stand upright no damage. 

It's mostly bought by older people so it will have been taken care of and not revved the nuts off. And lastly it's a Honda so it will last forever. 

I think the Honda Jazz is hands down the best option. With seats down you can get a few bikes inside. 

An older station wagon type car could also work for you, but to find smaller ones are gonna be tough

Honda jazz as a student? 🙃

Think we need more specifics of purpose/use for the vehicle