Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

21 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

3m€??? Forget I asked. 

If you were to pick a non-affiliated rider for next year? Train Andrei harder or pick who? 

They have Colombo now in the team and Nino and him seemed to work really well together at Tankwa last year and they werent't teammates yet. Colombo does well in the World Cups and I think he could be a better partner for Nino next year. That being said, I think any rider that partners with Nino for Epic will have a tough time, he seems to put a lot of pressure on himself to do well and really pushes to get those results which always seems to break his partners after a few days.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I always love the tech bashing every year at Epic. Is it really offensive or a disgrace? Is it really important?

Get ahead of the congestion by getting fitter/faster or get over it. If you do a trail running race more than half the field walk up and down the technical bits. At Enduro's it is 100% acceptable to push up easy jeep track climbs, if you tell those bro's to get fitter they get helluva defensive about how shredding the gnar is the importanterest to Enduro and being fit isn't important and also, shut up and mind your business. 

These guys and gals pushing or walking are there to finish the Untamed toughest race on earth Absa Cape Epic. They couldn't care if it takes them an extra 4 hours if they walk some bits that they feel is taking a risk which might lead to a fall and eliminate them from achieving their goal of finishing. 

70% of the finishers of Comrades and Two Oceans walk/jog in the cut off bus and finish in the last 15 minutes of the allotted time. 

I think it is admirable that these people are there slogging it out all day every day to achieve something they believe is worth achieving. 

AGREE 100%.  Been there done that on Comrades, the finish is much more important than taking any risks.  If the back markers annoy you, get fit & good enough to be ahead of them, simple as that.

That being said, on the bike I am one of those technically challenged people, hence will never do a race were the skills required is above my pay grade.

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, dev null said:

I believe as an entry requirement to the Epic all riders must be able to ride up the Irish climb (maybe to point 5) and then down Armageddon without dismounting. ;)

to be truly untamed, Irish all the way to the top, then on to Saaltjie where they drop into Armageddon 8.

THAT is the squirrel catcher.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I always love the tech bashing every year at Epic. Is it really offensive or a disgrace? Is it really important?

Get ahead of the congestion by getting fitter/faster or get over it. If you do a trail running race more than half the field walk up and down the technical bits. At Enduro's it is 100% acceptable to push up easy jeep track climbs, if you tell those bro's to get fitter they get helluva defensive about how shredding the gnar is the importanterest to Enduro and being fit isn't important and also, shut up and mind your business. 

These guys and gals pushing or walking are there to finish the Untamed toughest race on earth Absa Cape Epic. They couldn't care if it takes them an extra 4 hours if they walk some bits that they feel is taking a risk which might lead to a fall and eliminate them from achieving their goal of finishing. 

70% of the finishers of Comrades and Two Oceans walk/jog in the cut off bus and finish in the last 15 minutes of the allotted time. 

I think it is admirable that these people are there slogging it out all day every day to achieve something they believe is worth achieving. 

There is also the self preservation aspect, these guys are not pros, no need to risk life or limb.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday when I slowed right down for a downhill tight right hander. I first lamented the fact that I slowed down, then rationalized that there is no need to risk it.

12 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

to be truly untamed, Irish all the way to the top, then on to Saaltjie where they drop into Armageddon 8.

THAT is the squirrel catcher.

Ah, then I be one squirrel, as I think I might have to dismount a few places on Armageddon 8. :blush:

I have never ridden to the very top of Irish. Too damn lazy. The very first part of Fire Hut might also be a bit sketchy for my skill set.

Edited by dev null

33 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I hear you and can agree on the point of everyone being there to do the best for themselves. 
But,…..

does that have to impact people who are riding faster. Does a riders decision to walk have to force others who want to ride to also get off and walk? I believe consideration should be given to accommodate others. Everyone has paid therefore have As much right to achieve their finish with their abilities.in running events there is always an opportunity to pass. Not so much in Mtb when you have people who know they are technically weak forcing their way forward at the start then holding everyone up on the single track. It gets especially irksome when you pass these people and they complain or have stupid comments to add. By buying into the idea that you’re there to do your best , this should therefore also be extended to those around you. Instead it’s always me me me me. 

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I hear you and can agree on the point of everyone being there to do the best for themselves. 
But,…..

does that have to impact people who are riding faster. Does a riders decision to walk have to force others who want to ride to also get off and walk? I believe consideration should be given to accommodate others. Everyone has paid therefore have As much right to achieve their finish with their abilities.in running events there is always an opportunity to pass. Not so much in Mtb when you have people who know they are technically weak forcing their way forward at the start then holding everyone up on the single track. It gets especially irksome when you pass these people and they complain or have stupid comments to add. By buying into the idea that you’re there to do your best , this should therefore also be extended to those around you. Instead it’s always me me me me. 

good points

I watched at a triathlon yesterday how people dismounted at a turn around point to turn their bikes around instead of just riding around the cone. Or they clip out with the wrong foot and then hop around the corner on their outside leg. 

It made the average epic back marker look like seasoned mountain bikers. 

But you know what, they had fun, they pushed themselves and that is a good thing. Same with the epic back markers pushing easy trails. They are out there, grinding it out, and that is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

When we see runners queue like this at the Comrades to go up a hill, I will concede to your point bruuu

IMG-20230326-WA0007.jpg

Edited by gemmerbal

Imagine everybody's hero Nino having a technical and then having to battle through the field, only to get stuck at the bottom of a climb behind that crowd because Oom Kallie or Tannie Marie don't have the basic skills to ride up a climb.

Edited by gemmerbal

14 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Imagine paying over a hundred thousand randelas so that you can queue for a perfectly rideable single-track.

I'd be hopping mad to get caught in that mess. This just confirmed my suspicions about the total lack of skill at the back end of these events. I don't see the value proposition in this type of stuff up.

These people are the ones paying for the helicopters and the hospitality for the elites and corporates to which these same people don't have access.

Baa. Baaaa.

Everyone I know who’s ridden the Epic says the same thing. 

Don’t go if you aren’t going to be rapid or you just suffer for longer each day and you deal with the above…which you can do for only R 10 k at the back end of the field at smaller stage races. 

4 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Yup and I thought I heard they had a 14 minute advantage before they hit the great stone. Query. With that advantage why not go for inserts / 1kg tyres or both; safety first? Maybe neither would have helped hitting that mother at speed.

I heard a podcast with Yanick (all know Nino's mechanic) who said they had tried inserts but settled on wider rims (to limit sidewall punctures I guess).

Amy did have a tyre insert. 

Have none of you okes watched the video. 

Vera or Kim cross the rut ahead of Amy and displace / knock a chunk of stone that rolls into Amy’s path and looks like it hits right on the side of the rear wheel. 

I am not one for blaming luck, but both SCR and the ladies were just so so unlucky with their respective incidents. 

Edited by ajnkzn

41 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Imagine everybody's hero Nino having a technical and then having to battle through the field, only to get stuck at the bottom of a climb behind that crowd because Oom Kallie or Tannie Marie don't have the basic skills to ride up a climb.

Nino or any of the top 10 could literally build up a new bike from scratch with only a multi tool and still finish in the top 30% of the day…those okes are insane. 

11 hours ago, babse said:

Yeah Kudos!

Keen to hear what lies ahead for him for this year and what run in will he have before worlds? Surely he must be a serious favourite... 

Matt is riding Lifetime Grand Prix series in the USA. 

Sea Otter, Unbound Gravel, Leadville etc

The time that he and Chris put into Keegan Swenson (won the 2022 series) and Lachie Morton suggests (and his BWR San Diego 2nd last year) that he is a serious contender. 

Look up last year’s series recap videos on the YouTubes - so cool. 

Edited by ajnkzn

5 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

Amy did have a tyre insert. 

Have none of you okes watched the video. 

Vera or Kim cross the rut ahead of Amy and displace / knock a chunk of stone that rolls into Amy’s path and looks like it hits right on the side of the rear wheel. 

I am not one for blaming luck, but both SCR and the ladies where just so so unlucky with their respective incidents. 

Keen to know what fixes they tried. For rim damage I’d imagine only a tube would work, but have seen a solution where you duct tape the tyre around the rim and tyre to compress the bead onto what’s left of the rim. 

3 minutes ago, Kom said:

Keen to know what fixes they tried. For rim damage I’d imagine only a tube would work, but have seen a solution where you duct tape the tyre around the rim and tyre to compress the bead onto what’s left of the rim. 

They ran out of duct tape when they fixed her arm.