SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

During a 6-year history of Eagle and 11-years of the dedicated 1x drivetrain, we’ve refined the facets of the system we control. Even with this legacy, we wondered whether a new level of performance was possible, not just for SRAM’s benefit, but to help riders and improve the ride as a whole. So, we rethought […]

View full article

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, the bike frames need to be designed specifically for this exact T-Type hangerless rear derailleur?

Edit: No, looks like any bike designed with the Universal Derailleur Hangar that SRAM introduced in 2019 should work with this. Nice move SRAM, thinking ahead 4 years, so that (some) frames would be ready for this in the future.

Edited by Hilton.
Incorrect info

55 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Isnt the point of mech hanger to be a ‘fail point’? You know…so you don't bend your frame or expensive derailleur instead? What am i missing? Did i read soos my hol? 😅

Agreed, yet, another example of how SRAM "innovation" provides the customer with a worse outcome. Why just bend a derailleur hanger if you can break your frame?

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

I think it’s a pretty cool idea ! And the customisation is nice but when you see the shortages on normal components (generic and mass produced) it seems a bit weird to make lots of different options for everything. I wonder how they can have such cool ideas for mtb and come up with the new force design they announce the order day

The rear derailleur has a break away mechanism designed into the direct mount. Also since it has this protective clutch mechanism you shouldn’t be bending hangers anymore. This drivetrain requires a bit of a mindset shift …..

49 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Agreed, yet, another example of how SRAM "innovation" provides the customer with a worse outcome. Why just bend a derailleur hanger if you can break your frame?

with a trough axle in I don't really see how your frame can brake, the hanger is more here to save the derailleur than the frame in my opinion. And to be honest, how many hangers did you brake in the past ? And how many times did you hit that hard that you think you would have broken your frame ?

Providing a solution that requires zero setup is good in my opinion, let's see what the reality of this tech brings, might be a bad idea, might not

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Isnt the point of mech hanger to be a ‘fail point’? You know…so you don't bend your frame or expensive derailleur instead? What am i missing? Did i read soos my hol? 😅

Yes, you must read soos your elmboog instead.

It's connected to the axle and any forces it's hit with are transferred into the axle, all reviewers say that it's been crazy solid during testing.

In the launch vid the dude literally stands on the derailer while the bike is on the floor laying on its side.

this looks very cool , and almost the entire things seems to be available as aftermarket spares

but the cost will probably be around what an entry level dual sus bike costs these days 

20 minutes ago, Titleist said:

Boohoo, they still haven’t designed better legs for us all, so it’s nothing special to spend a quick R20k on.

Bosch has done it for you