Is the price right for this hardtail

Edrich1234

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Edrich1234 said:

Hi, It's for school mtb series. I bought a full carbon dual sus, but its not working. We don't have very rocky terrain. That's why I am looking for a carbon hardtail.

Shorter distance XCM and XCO type riding?

A equally light Scott scale with 100mm will be fine for me. Again I haven't ridden a lauf but it doesn't appeal to me.

Something like this although I still think it's a penny for a HT.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/624854/2017-scott-scale-rc-world-cup

Definitely not as unique at the Look.

6 minutes ago, babse said:

A equally light Scott scale with 100mm will be fine for me. Again I haven't ridden a lauf but it doesn't appeal to me.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/624854/2017-scott-scale-rc-world-cup

Yeah, that's also a nice bike. Would definitely consider this. Thank you.

42 minutes ago, babse said:

Just sad to see that the chain is too short 😜

2 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Just sad to see that the chain is too short 😜

Hahaha yeah spotted that too 🫣

This bike is a 'monstercross bike' that fork is crap over any bump bigger than a pebble. It is an undamped carbon leafspring. It will be akin to running a fork with the rebound circuit taken out - a sketchy combo for anything less than a gravel farm road. 

Like dasilvarsa said, this thing will be **** on a proper xco course. Something with a real fork is a must, especially if you are racing a rough course, and I guarantee that singletrack on that thing will be an awful experience. 

A chap I know raced one of those Lauf forks in XC races 2 or 3 times ... he said there's a reason it's called 'lauf', run in German cause you'll be doing a lot of that

His comments were that they are flexy, wander all over the place and that for today's XC courses not enough travel.

As mentioned over 'gravel' type courses he said they are bloody fantastic and the lightness is flippin amazing

I'd love to have a go on one ........ for my type of riding it'd be perfect 😎

10 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

A chap I know raced one of those Lauf forks in XC races 2 or 3 times ... he said there's a reason it's called 'lauf', run in German cause you'll be doing a lot of that

His comments were that they are flexy, wander all over the place and that for today's XC courses not enough travel.

As mentioned over 'gravel' type courses he said they are bloody fantastic and the lightness is flippin amazing

I'd love to have a go on one ........ for my type of riding it'd be perfect 😎

Thanks man! That helped me a lot.  I'm in a school mtb series, which are most gravel not very technical so I think it would help.

I can almost guarantee that the purchase of said hardtail will be dependent on the OP selling one of the four bikes he has on sale :whistling:

My suggestion: 

You have decent parts on the Bianchi but I am not sure that you will be able to get the money it is worth. So I would strip the bike down and transfer the parts over to a HT. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/630799/bianchi-methanol-fs-negotiable

Screenshot_20230327_072942_Brave.jpg

24 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I can almost guarantee that the purchase of said hardtail will be dependent on the OP selling one of the four bikes he has on sale :whistling:

My suggestion: 

You have decent parts on the Bianchi but I am not sure that you will be able to get the money it is worth. So I would strip the bike down and transfer the parts over to a HT. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/630799/bianchi-methanol-fs-negotiable

Screenshot_20230327_072942_Brave.jpg

That Bianchi is worth it but It's a bit of a "Cult" Bike and not slack enough "by today's standards" and the market is heavily depressed and we are heading into winter in Gauteng and he's asking for "retail" not "trade" and there are better deals and and and.

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Geez, put a slack-r-kit on it and be done. No need to change up that frame for a HT

May I ask what a slavk-r-kit is?

3 hours ago, Edrich1234 said:

Thanks man! That helped me a lot.  I'm in a school mtb series, which are most gravel not very technical so I think it would help.

And what happens if you klap some half decent results and go to finals in Magaliesberg? Then you pitch up with a glorified gravel bike?

It a lot of money to invest in a highly specialized tool for one race series.